This concept... blows me away

Everything else not represented

This concept... blows me away

by Fence! » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:26 am

http://kotaku.com/5854244/how-dust-514- ... ystation-3

I really hope that CCP can make this work. I think the concept would be amazing. I wasn't ever too big a fan of EVE after playing it for the trial period and feeling like there was a lot to the game but I didn't have the time to invest. But f CCP could seamlessly tie in an FPS into the mad economics of EVE... I dunno. Something about that, to me, sounds fantastic.

Thoughts, opinions?
i am only 88
Fence!

Re: This concept... blows me away

by Slappy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:37 pm

I was an avid eve player a few years ago, quit, came back about a year ago and quit again about 7 months ago. I love what EVE used to be and what it could have become. Unfortunately as CCP grew, the higher up business types who don't give a shit about the players and only care about profit, starting wrecking the game. More and more releases started having bugs that wouldn't be fixed for a long time. With every new expansion, new and often incomplete features would be rolled out without ever fixing/completing the previous features. One funny example is the expansion a couple years back that introduced factional warfare as its main selling point. There was a pretty dedicated group of players who loved that aspect, but CCP never fixed the issues/concerns players had and didn't really finish the feature which was thrown aside as work on the next expansion ramped up. Then at (I think it was) last year's fan fest (official ccp get together with players and devs), CCP even forgot to send staff to the factional warfare round table!

Then, more recently, you have probably seen the whole "micro" transaction fiasco (which is partly why I left most recently). The latest expansion was all about introducing a new "captain's quarters" feature (avatars that walked around in a room, instead of players just existing as spaceships) which was really just (IIRC) basically a beta for their world of darkness engine. The expansion brought little in the way of new gameplay mechanics, and even the captain quarters feature is stupid because there is NO player-player interaction. Even worse, the new micro transaction system was released which let you put new clothes and baubles on your avatar including the infamous $65 YES, $65 MONOCLE for your new avatar's face. I wont even go into how introducing a whole new real world based monetary system or non-tradable/non-destructible items completely goes against the spirit of EVE. All of this really pissed off players and a LOT left and have raised a lot of noise. Recently CCP even sort of half admitted they screwed up and restructured the company, taking a lot of devs off WoD and putting more into EVE.

The TL;DR version: CCP has been going downhill for a while and is falling out with its players. This makes me have very little faith in DUST being good. Interesting concept if they could do it well, but there recent track record says otherwise. It will probably be a buggy, poorly thought out mess.

</rant>
Slappy
Donator

Return to Other Games