Bastion

Everything else not represented

Bastion

by jawsh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Download the demo off Steam, and try not to enjoy it.
Especially the narrative.
jawsh

Re: Bastion

by VoltySquirrel » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 pm

I didn't like it. The narrator got old for me and the vague story didn't do it for me. I'd happily buy the soundtrack for it. However, I don't think that game deserves my 15 dollars.
VoltySquirrel

by Sirnak » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Just played that game today. It's fantastic.

VoltySquirrel wrote:I didn't like it. The narrator got old for me and the vague story didn't do it for me. I'd happily buy the soundtrack for it. However, I don't think that game deserves my 15 dollars.

I frankly would have paid 30$ for that game. I don't believe the story is vague even though I do admit that we could easily think the voice has been added after the whole game was made.

Regardless, the story is incredibly interesting even though not particulary intelligent. The main character gets deepened incredibly later on in the game and the fights are awesome. The more you progress, the more you unlock "Gods" that you can equip. You can equip as many "Gods" as you like. Each God adds a difficulty to the game. One makes the enemies more powerful, another one makes them faster, another one makes them attack more often, another one makes them transform into grenades once they die (leaving you little time to get away and, also, the grenades explode if you hit them, which is really hard to avoid).

Great gameplay, great songs and really good story (if you get far away enough in the game, at least). If you like challenge, this game is for you. It's also strangely quite a long game.

The scriptwriter of Bastion is incredibly talented and it seriously makes me jealous. Coupled with the incredible voice of the narrator, this game just becomes something else... Also, since you at least enjoy this much in Bastion Volty, let me share this song with you and everyone. =3

Bastion Soundtrack - Build That Wall (Zia's Theme)

ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by VoltySquirrel » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 pm

That's fine that you liked it, but I don't see myself paying full price for it. If it were to get a price drop of 5 bucks or if I were to get the game gifted to me, I'd certainly play it, but not at this price point. Maybe the game is worth 15 bucks to you, but this is part of a larger issue I have with Xbox Live Arcade games now where every single goddamn game to be released on the platform is 15 dollars, which, frankly, is just too much for some games. I just sort of miss games being mostly 10 dollars and only the truly high quality ones being 15. The last game indie game I bought at 15 dollars was Limbo, and I enjoyed the hell out of it, and that was because that game felt much more genuine to me than say Bastion.
VoltySquirrel

by BoB Dolen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Sirnak wrote:Just played that game today. It's fantastic.

VoltySquirrel wrote:I didn't like it. The narrator got old for me and the vague story didn't do it for me. I'd happily buy the soundtrack for it. However, I don't think that game deserves my 15 dollars.

I frankly would have paid 30$ for that game. I don't believe the story is vague even though I do admit that we could easily think the voice has been added after the whole game was made.

Regardless, the story is incredibly interesting even though not particulary intelligent. The main character gets deepened incredibly later on in the game and the fights are awesome. The more you progress, the more you unlock "Gods" that you can equip. You can equip as many "Gods" as you like. Each God adds a difficulty to the game. One makes the enemies more powerful, another one makes them faster, another one makes them attack more often, another one makes them transform into grenades once they die (leaving you little time to get away and, also, the grenades explode if you hit them, which is really hard to avoid).

Great gameplay, great songs and really good story (if you get far away enough in the game, at least). If you like challenge, this game is for you.

The scriptwriter of Bastion is incredibly talented and it seriously makes me jealous. Coupled with the incredible voice of the narrator, this game just becomes something else... Also, since you at least enjoy this much in Bastion Volty, let me share this song with you and everyone. =3

Bastion Soundtrack - Build That Wall (Zia's Theme)

Agreed on all parts, even though found the weapons and spirits to be overall mostly useless.

It's also strangely quite a long game.

6 hours and change not counting newgame+
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

by Enigma » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:56 pm

The moment I heard the narrator's voice, I immediately bought the game. I want to make sweet love to the narrator's voice.
Enigma

by VoltySquirrel » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:51 am

Okay, fine. If I get enough money through Xbox Rewards, I'll give this game a shot, since I basically wouldn't be spending any real money doing it.
VoltySquirrel

by Sirnak » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:36 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:Okay, fine. If I get enough money through Xbox Rewards, I'll give this game a shot, since I basically wouldn't be spending any real money doing it.

=3
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by Amplify » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Best game I played in 2011.
Amplify
Tournament Staff

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 am

So, after playing it for about 2 hours, I still don't see the big fuss about it. This is not, in my opinion that is clearly in the minority, the best game of last year. So far, it's just an above average beat 'em up with and a guy with a cool voice and a schizophrenic art design. I mean, the game is certainly much better past the point where the demo cuts off, but even then this seems like at most a 7.5/10. I dunno, maybe it gets better near the end. However, my thoughts about the soundtrack have not changed at all; that is still the best part of the game.
VoltySquirrel

Return to Other Games