Rant/Request: Cooldown on RTV after map change...

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Rant/Request: Cooldown on RTV after map change...

by AronTimes » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Hello, I was playing on Slaybox 1 yesterday when the map changed to cp_powerhouse. A large number of regulars immediately RTV'd out of cp_powerhouse and onto cp_dustbowl. I have several issues with this.

Problems:

1. cp_powerhouse won the vote. However, since it wasn't nominated prior to the RTV, there was no way to vote for it again, which meant that a map change would be forced.
2. If you don't want to play on a map, it shouldn't be available on the server. What's the point of being able to choose a map if the mob forces another vote less than 5 minutes after map change?
3. Not everyone has a decent rig that runs TF2 smooth as silk. Forcing two map changes in a short amount of time is a very good way of losing players. Heck, even a single map change causes a drop in players; imagine two server-killing map changes one after the other.

Solutions:

1. Cooldown on RTV so it doesn't get abused several times in a row to force a map change.
2. Learn to play and stop complaining about maps you don't know or like.
3. Remove the maps that the regulars don't like and just keep only popular maps in the rotation.
My command is your wish.
AronTimes
Donator

Re: Rant/Request: Cooldown on RTV after map change...

by Poppet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:56 pm

That's rtv doing its job really. If most of the server doesn't want to play on the map that's exactly what it's supposed to do. Powerhouse is really unpopular and does get rtv'd often either at start or after the stalemate it causes.

It requires more votes than a winning map would need anyway. It's perfectly fine the way it's.
Poppet
Blue Admin

by AronTimes » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:21 am

I spoke out on all chat, asking people to vote for Powerhouse. Maybe my plea had some effect and most people voted for it. Immediately after map change, the regulars RTV'd out of it. It's like holding an election, and immediately after someone wins, a second election is held immediately except that you can't vote for the candidate that won the first election.

It looks to me that CSN likes to play only on Payload and Attack/Defend maps. Basically, maps where BLU attacks and RED defends. Whenever the map changes to something where both BLU and RED can attack (5CP, CTF, etc.), the server immediately RTVs out of it. There's nothing wrong with those maps (some of my favorite maps are Payload and A/D maps), but if you're going to force the server to play only on those maps through RTV, it might be best to limit the server map pool to those maps only so we don't vote the "wrong" map and end up with two or three consecutive map changes.
My command is your wish.
AronTimes
Donator

by Lia_Rein » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 am

We played on 4 KOTH maps in a row today, that was pretty cool :P (put Lakeside and King in normal rotation, your glorious leader commands it)
Neff:Lia slowly building her CSnplayer database for nefarious purposes
Lia_Rein
Blue Admin
Not Liable for Rein damage

by flufffage » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:43 am

I understand completely how it feels to get to a map you like only to have everyone rtv it. Its like how I feel whenever turbine gets nominated... >.>
This was also a huge problem on the fun servers (RIP).

One thing that kind of made it tolerable was, idk if it was triggered somehow, but when you "can't rtv until next map", or the map changes on the end of the round. It's a sort of promise to those that hate the current map that the end is in sight???? I guess, idk exactly.

As for the game mode preferences, its #opinions, really.
There are days where CSn will have a run of koth and cp maps, then its back to the payload grind. It all depends on who is on at any given time.
Payload and a/d just happen to be the more popular modes here.
So that's the whole reason we have rtv, is so people can nominate what they want. Your politics comparison is not off the mark at all
To be fair, its not like you see a mapvote where its five different payload maps and you're forced to vote for it. So at least it could be worse, right? ;)
It seems the only game mode this community hates is ctf which makes me sad cuz ctf best kebab
I guess just nominate other maps more often?

KaneAdamson wrote: 2. Learn to play and stop complaining about maps you don't know or like.
#opinions
pinkmins more like saltmins amirite
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

by Balubish » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:35 am

I understand ur problem with it. But without RTV even more ppl would rage. I agree with Poppet.
Reasons that ppl RTV on that map is because ppl think its grindy as hell and personally I hated it after 2 runs, so now I started playing engie on it so i can just stand in a corner waiting it out hitting my shit.

Democrazy work that way sometimes. If you dont say anything at all on the mapvote before ppl almost always choose the first number, if someone say a map they like.
And just in your case when a map is shouted out ppl will most times vote for it. And all PLR maps are hated by many, I like em alot but more dislike those kinds of maps.
CSn is full of zombie players, that includes me sometimes. Ppl do what someone says for a weird reason, its kinda hilarous to me but yeah thats how it is.
Instead of braiiiinnnsss ppl vote for maps in the same way.

Our map rotation by vote is kinda like outside seasons. We switch out the vote with another map once a year. Like yesterday we jumped on to Koth King and I like that map, half the server left.
Kinda like Fluff said about Turbine I like that aswell. And ppl will always have different views on this.

We did a voting here on the forums not so long ago on Dustbowl and it almost was 50/50 likes and dislikes. I love it but alot dont, it seems to depend on ur main class what kind of map ppl like.
Then we have Lemonz that only want to play Hydro.

Edit: Also, map voting changes throughout the day aswell, different maps are chosen at earlier times and later times in the day. And thats not by server but player base.
Nominate is a good tool to use but not many use it.

The RTV helps for sure.

And maybe as Lia said, we could have some mixing on the rotation list now and then -Finger?

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by ilikepotatoes » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:57 am

KaneAdamson wrote:2. Learn to play and stop complaining about maps you don't know or like.

its video gambs, everyone is bound to complain

i personally hate dustbowl. so i either leave and return when its done (that way people who like the map dont get rtv'd off it) or i go phlog and try to ruin everyones fun
just gotta work with what you have
ilikepotatoes
Donator

by flufffage » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:46 am

Balubish wrote:Then we have Lemonz that only want to play Hydro.

ilikepotatoes wrote: or i go phlog and try to ruin everyones fun

oh that's why
everything makes sense now.
#opinions
pinkmins more like saltmins amirite
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

by ilikepotatoes » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:56 am

flufffage wrote:
ilikepotatoes wrote: or i go phlog and try to ruin everyones fun

oh that's why
everything makes sense now.

ITS VERY RARE DONT MAKE ME FEEL BAD.
also its a happy death :^D
ilikepotatoes
Donator

by Balubish » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Its like beeing pissed on by a banana. Life is ruff.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Ron Swansons Stache » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:51 pm

I don't mind being able to RTV right away, but at the minimum there should be an option to keep the vote. If the person that convinced people to switch maps in the first place is able to garner enough votes to hold the RTV it should stay.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2