How medics pick heal targets.

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

How medics pick heal targets.

by Guy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:06 pm

What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

Re: How medics pick heal targets.

by Rologton » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:00 pm

I require my potential mates to dance for me.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Saber » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:54 pm

This is how I decide who to heal in pubs.
Saber

by Guy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 pm

I would have went with the heavy....

so dreamy~~~
What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Cash » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:10 pm

I have a green energy towering pillar, so needless to say, this comic pleases me...
This is a signature. Thank you for your time.
Cash

by Guy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:54 am

Cash wrote:I have a green energy towering pillar, so needless to say, this comic pleases me...

You and I did a this a few times! x3
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Meto » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 am

I was hoping this was an actual discussion and not just a comic (albeit a humorous one). Son, I am disappoint.
Meto
Donator
the Medic

by Hatred » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:37 am

i prefer ppl i know to ppl i dont ... i'm only half slut ...
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by xalde » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Nice comic, I was entertained.

Meto wrote:I was hoping this was an actual discussion and not just a comic (albeit a humorous one). Son, I am disappoint.

Well ok, here's my process.

1) whoever is nearby so I can charge über

2) determine reliable* patient(s) and hang around them while spreading the heals around as I can. Priority to a) burning; b) low health; c) other medics; d) my chosen interest; e) those who don't run away from me/equalizer.
*reliable- those I've observed who take care of their medic (I.e. sandvich, protect me), history of successful use of uber/kritz, or a regular who's not spy/sniper/nesting engie.

3) failing to determine reliable patient I become field medic, trying to encourage others to get on point or push/defend cart just by being there (if they want heals they'll come to me, then go for objectives). Or I go to/fro to whatever autocall summons me. Experiment using ubers on targets and see their results. Process and record as their "history".

4) failing all else: battle medic, über spy's, just fun.

5) when no decent targets/teammates and no longer fun: switch class.
xalde
Donator

by Maringue » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:15 pm

I basically hang out by the nearest corner to the objective/enemy and heal as many people as I can. When I need to pick someone to go forward with, my decision is sole based on this question: "Who is least likely to get me killed?" If you know where to stand so that you can shoot the enemy, I cannot be shot at and still heal you, this puts you high up on my list.

But when I have to pick from a group of people, here's the depth chart:
1) Low health medics
2) unless someone is close to death, over heal the other medic
3) low health burning people
4) People actively getting shot at while engaging the other team
5) low health people
6) a scout to over heal. there's not much more annoying than a good scout who has an over heal.

Here's the list of things that will get you on my "don't bother healing" list:
1) rocket/sticky jumping away just after I pop an uber.
2) as a scout, pounding the call medic button while double jumping in circles around me as fast as you can.
3) blindly chasing one person while I'm screaming for help as the pyro behind us burns me to death
4) this is part of 3, but not noticing that you can see your medics health bar, more importantly when it's going down quickly. There's obviously nothing going on back there, you shouldn't look.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Guy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:07 pm

How my AI works:

> Heal nearest person while heading to the front. Prefering Medics, Solly, Demos, and Heavies in that order, otherwise any near by unit. *May or may not over heal spies depending on spawn front conditions, and will not keep healing a spy running to front for a number of reasons.

> Always heal medics, and overheal any near by medics. Low health & Taking damage > Low health > Taking damage > Damaged > No overheal. I will save medics with higher uber over lower ones in a pinch. Medics take priority over anyone else, unless I am helping an engie keep his nest up.

> Any class low on health and taking damage.

> Any class taking damage.

> Any class low health.

> Solly/Demo/Pyro/ect using explosive launching.

> Any damaged class.

> Overheal all classes save spies. *Spies will depend on situations going on like spam... as so not to give them away.

My class default order to heal list, it will not always apply if under stressful situations.

Medic > Scout > Solly > Demo > Pyro > Heavy > Engie > Sniper > Spy

I try not to heal spies to keep thier cover from being blown. If it is I will heal them so they can try to get out of danger, or if they fell back to get healing.

I don't usually pocket, as you would have guessed.
Last edited by Guy on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Saber » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Ever tried 6v6 medic? You've never known how damn hard it is to keep a team alive till you do that.
I don't even notice how I heal anymore. It's more "spread the heals" and then stay with somebody who can protect my bootay.
Saber

by Guy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Saber wrote:Ever tried 6v6 medic? You've never known how damn hard it is to keep a team alive till you do that.
I don't even notice how I heal anymore. It's more "spread the heals" and then stay with somebody who can protect my bootay.

Never did any serious stuff. It is already hard enough to stay alive on pugs as it is.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Saber » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Guy wrote:
Saber wrote:Ever tried 6v6 medic? You've never known how damn hard it is to keep a team alive till you do that.

Never did any serious stuff. It is already hard enough to stay alive on pugs as it is.

Dude holy shit I get bombed EVERY SINGLE MOMENT I'M ALIVE in pugs. I get fucking annihilated if my team lets anybody through.
(not killed by demo all that much interestingly enough)
Saber

by Rologton » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:49 am

6v6 Lobbies are the worst Medicing experience in the game. No matter if you win or lose, you're still the worst Medic ever.

I don't really have a pecking order for healing. I heal everyone. I get everyone topped off than overheal classes that I think can use it the best. I pick someone to stick with, usually someone I know who is good who can protect me, and I give my Ubers to that person or whoever I think can use them most effectively.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Saber » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 am

I don't do 6v6 lobbies at all. I've done a few 6v6 pugs where everybody was pretty chill about losing. We were usually albee to get their medic if I died too.
Also good GOD is Highlander easier than 6v6. Heavy DPS is just too good if it's a competent Heavy. Straight up wipes shit. Hell, I outfragged Killer Tomato AND everybody on the server.
But yeah, spread the heals and pocket a decent person, and you should be good. If somebody decent enough wants to make a push with a kritz/uber, might as well go with them.
Saber

by Boler » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:58 am

I rarely play medic, and when I do I heal everyone possible at all times, and never pocket. Like ever. I guess that makes me a polygamist slut.

Alsom I don't hate on the quick fix, but I also have never been able to use it effectively except for like one match where our entire team was in one single room for 5 minutes. Kritz is my favorite, and critzing a good scout is just awesome <3

Also I hate healing heavies. They're slow and are always horrible to uber from my experience. I've had more success killing a sentry nest/pushing forward on an uber pyro than on an uber heavy most of the time, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
Image Image
I am a frequent user of random loadouts I don't really like.
Boler
Donator

by Guy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:15 pm

I am hot for pyro ubers too.

But, nothing turns me on more than a good heavy.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Rologton » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:57 pm

The one thing I always do consider is my pocket. A lot of people don't know it, but there is a big difference between pocketing and having a pocket. If a Medic is pocketing, he sticks to one player and just that player. This is bad Medicing. If you have a pocket, you have somebody that is always with you to keep you protected and for you to switch your Medibeam to when nobody around you needs healing so you are always building Uber. That's smart Medicing.

Heavy is a good pocket because he soaks up damage like nobody's business and because nobody wants to get close to him.

Soldier also soaks up damage well and is more versatile with the Rocket Launcher.

A good Pyro can completely shut down Demos and Soldiers trying to get you, but obviously can't handle as much damage. ( <3 Medkitz)

Demos are usually the overall best targets for your Ubers, but don't really make good pockets. They can't soak up damage like Heavies or Soldiers and are all but useless if somebody, like an enemy Scout or Pyro, is able to get within close range. At that, if he can keep your oponants at mid range, or if you're holding a choke point, he can work wonders.

Also, the Quick-Fix really shines if you can get a Soldier or Scout pocket that is willing to sacrifice getting 1337 fr4gz in order to make you a super mobile Medic. You can get anywhere in the map quickly, heal your teammates, than get somewhere else. This makes you hard to track down by the enemy and means you can more easily get out of a dangerous situation if you are caught.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Guy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:22 pm

I use any medigun I feel will work best at that time.

I have no hate for quick-fix... and I really don't see why people whine about it.
It is a powerful medigun if used right, just like krits and uber.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by stanley » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Saber wrote:I don't do 6v6 lobbies at all. I've done a few 6v6 pugs where everybody was pretty chill about losing. We were usually albee to get their medic if I died too.
Also good GOD is Highlander easier than 6v6. Heavy DPS is just too good if it's a competent Heavy. Straight up wipes shit. Hell, I outfragged Killer Tomato AND everybody on the server.
But yeah, spread the heals and pocket a decent person, and you should be good. If somebody decent enough wants to make a push with a kritz/uber, might as well go with them.

killer tomato is easily the worst soldier ive ever seen/played against. just sayin'

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Saber » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:59 pm

stanley wrote:
Saber wrote:I don't do 6v6 lobbies at all. I've done a few 6v6 pugs where everybody was pretty chill about losing. We were usually albee to get their medic if I died too.

killer tomato is easily the worst soldier ive ever seen/played against. just sayin'

wut
He's a pretty decent medic from what I've seen so how can he do that badly as soldier
Saber

by Guy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 am

I can't play any class nearly as well as I can play medic, save engie... I play a mean engie. roar.

If you make me roll hoovy though... I play a really mean hoovy.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by medkitz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Rologton wrote:A good Pyro can completely shut down Demos and Soldiers trying to get you, but obviously can't handle as much damage. ( <3 Medkitz)

I love your healing too <3
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by RiversofItaly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:47 am

I seem to do what the rest of you say you do: Burning > Low-health Medics (if a miracle happens and I'm not the only medic on the team) > Low-health power classes > Other low-health classes > "Okay" health people
Scout is best class. Until you run into a group of enemies.

I can be a good Spy...until I get off the Valve server.

RiversofItaly

by Doctor Galaxy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:53 pm

I don't really care about who I pocket.
The only thing that gets to me is if I'm healing you and you grab a healthpack, and I'm at least below 90 hp, and/or burning/bleeding, and/or we're in enemy territory, chances are I'm not going to heal you anymore.

I totally wasn't being specific with that example.

Aside from that, I don't really care if I give kritz to a Spy wearing a gibus, as long as he can hurt people with it.
Doctor Galaxy
Pink Admin

by Someone Special » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 pm

RiversofItaly wrote:I seem to do what the rest of you say you do: Burning > Low-health Medics (if a miracle happens and I'm not the only medic on the team) > Low-health power classes > Other low-health classes > "Okay" health people

The bumping of old threads is real.
Also, welcome to the forums Rivers.
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by Maringue » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Someone Special wrote:
RiversofItaly wrote:I seem to do what the rest of you say you do: Burning > Low-health Medics (if a miracle happens and I'm not the only medic on the team) > Low-health power classes > Other low-health classes > "Okay" health people

The bumping of old threads is real.
Also, welcome to the forums Rivers.

The spammer post that actually bumped it got deleted by me. But I approve of this thread being bumped since everyone should know how medics pick someone to heal. Also, how they pick people not to heal, like scouts who think that double jumping circles around you is the best way to get healed.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Sanic-X » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Don't know who to uber? Uh, c'mon guys, isn't it obvious?
..::..-context is important-..::..
gotta go fast
Sanic-X
Blue Admin

by Doctor Galaxy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Better the Sniper than this happening to you:
Doctor Galaxy
Pink Admin

by Maringue » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 am

Don't even get me started on the number of times I've started healing a heavy, then said "Dude, wait, don't eat your sandvich, I'm healing you!", and then watched the heavy stand next to a wall and eat his sandvich. It's almost as bad as when I am low on health and start healing the scout so he doesn't take the health pack, then he takes the health pack anyway...
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Doctor Galaxy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Maringue wrote:It's almost as bad as when I am low on health and start healing the scout so he doesn't take the health pack, then he takes the health pack anyway...

This feel right here. It's right up there next to that situation when you're healing a Pyro, and he grabs it from you and doesn't even bother to extinguish you. That really gets on my nerves.
Doctor Galaxy
Pink Admin

by RiversofItaly » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Or that moment when you spawn all alone so you don't have anyone to help you build uber :c

RiversofItaly

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:16 pm

I have no problem admitting that I favor Heavies/Demos/Sollys and hat choice (including ironic wearing of hats) is a big factor. If he has hats, he's bound to be good.

I also heal my friends, though most of them suck.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by RiversofItaly » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:I have no problem admitting that I favor Heavies/Demos/Sollys and hat choice (including ironic wearing of hats) is a big factor. If he has hats, he's bound to be good.

I also heal my friends, though most of them suck.

If I'm in a panic situation where I need someone to protect me and glue my medigun beam to the nearest competent person, sometimes I'll glue it to a player I know is good (like one of the regulars on the slayboxes) even if they're a spy, sniper, etc. and there's an inexperienced Heavy there as well. Because that Heavy might just stand there staring at the sky while an unusual-wearing Pyro is chasing after me.

RiversofItaly

Return to Team Fortress 2