Westbox Map Rotation.

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Westbox Map Rotation.

by Ray of Light » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:12 pm

As someone who plays regularly on the Westbox, almost exclusively you might say, these days, it has become rather saddening that literally the same 3 maps get played over and over if only because we have limited options. Not even the full set of stock maps are in the rotation. I can understand things not happening with custom maps perhaps, but it would be cool to see things like Foundry, Junction, and Gullywash added to the rotation so that we have all of the official maps (Hydro exempted) that are available at the least on the Westbox.
"We do not want men who will lie down bravely to die, but men who will fight valiantly to live."
"They say fortune favors the bold...well let's hope fortune favors the foolish."

PS...I'm neither Phantom, nor Fingerman
Ray of Light
Donator

Re: Westbox Map Rotation.

by xalde » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for reminding me.

Could you (I.e. someone who has the ability to) add cp_Foundry to the !nominate options in Westbox? It's been my favorite since its release and really don't want to go back to a Valve server (or any other) to play it.

Love and happy endings,

Me
xalde
Donator

by Saber » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:59 pm

I personally like the slayboxes' system better, since you at least get to determine gametype. Just 2 cents.
Saber

by xalde » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Saber wrote:I personally like the slayboxes' system better, since you at least get to determine gametype. Just 2 cents.

The only dislike I have of the slaybox system is that not every game type is available at all times. There are many times I want to nominate a 5cp map just to play more of them and I can only choose between pl plr koth and ctf. Or I want to play a koth and can only choose cp pl plr ctf. Or some other scenario like that.

Murphy's Law doesn't like me.
xalde
Donator

by GoDM1N » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Saber wrote:I personally like the slayboxes' system better, since you at least get to determine gametype. Just 2 cents.

Agreed, I was pushing for that system to be on all servers, but at the time we had other admins (think it was Sandman's group if I remember right) asking for the old system because they wanted to nominate maps. The UMC has nominations, but the group of the map you nominate has to win the vote which means the nomination means less and on top of that some map types don't have but a few maps anyway so there isn't even a point to nominate a map from a smaller group. This said the UMC is able to keep things mixed up a lot better than the old way because it blocks the game type you just played for two map cycles.

My vote goes to UMC for the WB, it's needed it for awhile.

xalde wrote:
The only dislike I have of the slaybox system is that not every game type is available at all times. There are many times I want to nominate a 5cp map just to play more of them and I can only choose between pl plr koth and ctf. Or I want to play a koth and can only choose cp pl plr ctf. Or some other scenario like that.

Murphy's Law doesn't like me.

Assuming Finger could make it, would you be against a plug-in that disables a map thats been played for X cycles?
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by xalde » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:44 pm

GoDM1N wrote:Assuming Finger could make it, would you be against a plug-in that disables a map thats been played for X cycles?

I will admit I do like voting on map type first then specific map, sometimes I don't care what map it is as long as it's (for instance) 5cp.

You assume correctly though that I'm against disabling a map that's been played X cycles. I see the point, but you'd almost think the majority of votes would prevent a severe streak of one map type from occurring too often. I could support a disabling of a map type for 1 "cycle" just to prevent a chain of a single type, but not too restricted so that it could still be played often if the current group prefers. Or change the plugin type to one that disabled the map type from the vote for 1 "cycle" after 2 or 3 chains.

-edit- upon re-reading previous the post I think you may have meant disabling the specific map and not just map-type that had been played for X cycles. It'd prevent a mass string of say plr_hightower (shudder). Ah but then I still like what I said above. Combining the two ideas would probably be too much of a hassle

Gods I'm confusing, hope that can be understood.
xalde
Donator

by GoDM1N » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:55 pm

xalde wrote:
GoDM1N wrote:Assuming Finger could make it, would you be against a plug-in that disables a map thats been played for X cycles?

I will admit I do like voting on map type first then specific map, sometimes I don't care what map it is as long as it's (for instance) 5cp.

You assume correctly though that I'm against disabling a map that's been played X cycles. I see the point, but you'd almost think the majority of votes would prevent a severe streak of one map type from occurring too often. I could support a disabling of a map type for 1 "cycle" just to prevent a chain of a single type, but not too restricted so that it could still be played often if the current group prefers. Or change the plugin type to one that disabled the map type from the vote for 1 "cycle" after 2 or 3 chains.

-edit- upon re-reading previous the post I think you may have meant disabling the specific map and not just map-type that had been played for X cycles. It'd prevent a mass string of say plr_hightower (shudder). Ah but then I still like what I said above. Combining the two ideas would probably be too much of a hassle

Gods I'm confusing, hope that can be understood.

Well Finger is pretty good at making plug-ins, but what we found before is if we didn't disable maps or map types for a few rounds the server would stay on the same few maps. Basically the way it works is the majority of people only play for a few maps then leave. As those players leave they get replace by fresh players who haven't played Badwater which was the map before they joined. The fresh players nominate and vote for the more popular ones and the server just gets stuck in a loop of those maps. The maps generally being Badwater, Upward and Goldrush. So there needs to be some sort of safe guard or the server will just stay on the same maps over and over.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by fingerman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:56 pm

I added the missing maps to the rotation, they should be nominate-able now.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Rologton » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:25 pm

The issue with not blocking a map type after X rotations is that, and lets be honest, we play a lot of PL. Like, 9 times out of 10, if PL is an option, it's what gets voted on. I seriously would not put it past the CSn playerbase to play PL 6 times in a row, before playing Hightower, then play PL 6 more times in a row.

Mostly Badwater.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Boler » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:22 pm

There have been servers I've played on that would not let you nominate recently played maps (not types, actual maps) or put them up for vote, and I think this would be godly since westbox is turning into my server of choice just for the people.

However many rotations until a map can be played again would be up for debate, but honestly I think the regulars would enjoy the change and the others would not really notice.
Image Image
I am a frequent user of random loadouts I don't really like.
Boler
Donator

Return to Team Fortress 2