Why doesn't my mic work on Critsandvich

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Why doesn't my mic work on Critsandvich

by cant speall » Mon May 07, 2012 7:38 pm

So for quite a while now my mic has been shitty for about 30% of the people on the server. It doesn't always happen, and it doesn't always happen to everyone. If I could describe the problem, it's as if my mic is "overloading" some speakers. The trouble with this problem is I never know when it's happening. To add to the shittiness, it REALLY fucks up people's speakers. I play with headphones, I know your pain.

What do I do to "fix" it? I found a work around that works about 30% of the time. I can adjust my Windows mic transmit volume, my Steam transmit volume, and my tf2 transmit volume and SOMETIMES it works. Often, my mic becomes much too quiet for people to hear, which I guess isn't so bad. The other downside is that this process takes forever.

Why is this Critsandvich's problem? To my knowledge, this only happens on critsandvich servers. Hardass Mike made a pretty convincing argument that it had something to do with the server's audio codec and HL DJ. I haven't done much research to confirm or deny this, but I would be interested to see what the server admins think.

I really want to fix this problem so I can enjoy my time on critsandvich. If nothing can be done, or if I'm just crazy then I guess I'll take it day to day.
cant speall
Donator

Re: Why doesn't my mic work on Critsandvich

by Snowsickle » Mon May 07, 2012 10:36 pm

About a year back, Valve offered an update which improved the steam audio codec and offered it to servers to use as well. No idea whether our server is configured to use the new (supposedly better) one or the old one. Your best bet is asking one of the admins with rcon access if they're willing to experiment with switching the variable (sv_use_steam_voice).

Edit: Looks like we don't use the new one, so I imagine that's the issue.
Snowsickle
Blue Admin

by cant speall » Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Snow, I'll try to test it out soon.
cant speall
Donator

by mrpikmin2 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Snowsickle wrote:About a year back, Valve offered an update which improved the steam audio codec and offered it to servers to use as well. No idea whether our server is configured to use the new (supposedly better) one or the old one. Your best bet is asking one of the admins with rcon access if they're willing to experiment with switching the variable (sv_use_steam_voice).

Edit: Looks like we don't use the new one, so I imagine that's the issue.

I think the reason behind that is that it disabled half-life dj.
mrpikmin2

by Snowsickle » Tue May 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Sounds like an even better reason to use it.
Snowsickle
Blue Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2