Free Players.

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Free Players.

by Brad » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:56 pm

I'm one of them, and I don't understand the current hatred towards them. Sure, I could understand it when the game first became F2P, but still? It's been half a year, and free players have had a lot of time to learn the basics about our favortie hat simulator.

The only reason I am F2P is because I didn't have credit card access before the Uber Update. Most 15-year-olds don't. However, I did go to multiple game stores in search for a retail copy, with no luck. Then the Uber Update happened, and I was like "YES YES!" Now I think of myself as a pretty competent TF2 player. Unfortunately, I am still grouped with the 12-year-old mic whores who are too scared to walk out of the door from spawn and don't know how to use the left-click button. WHY?!
Brad

Re: Free Players.

by Techercizer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Most of the dislike towards f2p players is simply a derivative of the general distaste for noobs that is often prevalent in competitive FPS games. In particular, the frustration that people experience when they find themselves on a team full of incompetent players (an event that has increased astronomically in occurrence since the F2P/Uber update) is often directed towards F2P players as a group.

I don't think anybody really has anything against skilled, polite F2Ps; it's just easier to stereotype them as a bunch of incompetent players because "F2P" rolls off the tongue quicker than "New players who aren't very good and may or may not be premium".
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by Phantom » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:04 pm

because F2P players havent been playing the game as long as some people and yes you may not as skilled as senior members that dose not mean you cant be with practice anyone can but it still all comes down to the amount of time played and hats you wear yes that is important too.
not to be confused i am good yes but not as good as most old soldiers. aww lawd, snowsickle demolished me in MGE 2/20, 5 times i feel awful
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin
Resident Ballonicorn Expert

by Techercizer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:29 pm

And then there's the common (and not unfounded) view of Free to Play members in general as consisting significantly of children under the age of 18 who could not play TF2 when it cost money because they could not convince their parents to buy the game or purchase it for themselves. Many older players find the sudden influx of immaturity that the F2P update brought to be quite irritating, and generalize the few instances of immature players they've encountered into being representative of every F2P member.

There's only so many times you can hear an 8-year-old say "Guys, we need to push the cart" before you just start seeing red.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Brad » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Techercizer wrote:I don't think anybody really has anything against skilled, polite F2Ps; it's just easier to stereotype them as a bunch of incompetent players because "F2P" rolls off the tongue quicker than "New players who aren't very good and may or may not be premium".

Unfortunately, there are still some players that are opposed to F2Ps in general. I was playing on a 24/7 Dustbowl server recently, and this one person kept following me, asking me to trade. I tried to ignore him as long as I could, but he kept jumping in my line of sight and getting us both killed just to get my attention. He didn't even stop when I said I was F2P; I'm guessing he didn't hear me. Then, when I finally accepted the offer to show him I was F2P, he started yelling "ew free player go away you suck nobody likes you" over the mic over and over. And the funny thing was, I was top fragging for that round while his name was near the bottom of the leaderboard.

It just goes to show that there are some P2Ps that suck and some F2Ps that are pretty good.
Brad

by Nikki Wolf » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:33 pm

I never thought that TF2 going F2P was a bad idea. I know that so many kids would start playing and stuff, but not every F2Per is bad. We were all newbies at one point. Even people playing Dota 2 were, though they'll always come up with excuses on ranting about newcomers playing the game. If it wasn't for me paying over $30 just to get into the beta, I would quit because of the community alone being full of competitive asswhipes.
Nikki Wolf

by medkitz » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Nikki Wolf wrote:I never thought that TF2 going F2P was a bad idea. I know that so many kids would start playing and stuff, but not every F2Per is bad. We were all newbies at one point. Even people playing Dota 2 were, though they'll always come up with excuses on ranting about newcomers playing the game. If it wasn't for me paying over $30 just to get into the beta, I would quit because of the community alone being full of competitive asswhipes.

I met a F2P and didn't know it, now we are great friends. I dont mind F2P's unless they are really above the line annoying.
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by mrpikmin2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:04 am

Brad wrote:
Techercizer wrote:I don't think anybody really has anything against skilled, polite F2Ps; it's just easier to stereotype them as a bunch of incompetent players because "F2P" rolls off the tongue quicker than "New players who aren't very good and may or may not be premium".

Unfortunately, there are still some players that are opposed to F2Ps in general. I was playing on a 24/7 Dustbowl server recently, and this one person kept following me, asking me to trade. I tried to ignore him as long as I could, but he kept jumping in my line of sight and getting us both killed just to get my attention. He didn't even stop when I said I was F2P; I'm guessing he didn't hear me. Then, when I finally accepted the offer to show him I was F2P, he started yelling "ew free player go away you suck nobody likes you" over the mic over and over. And the funny thing was, I was top fragging for that round while his name was near the bottom of the leaderboard.

It just goes to show that there are some P2Ps that suck and some F2Ps that are pretty good.

how are people this bad at seeing obvious trolls? it's just some 13 year old with nothing better to do then annoying the crap out of you. Then again you were on a 24/7 dustbowl server, which attracts the worst tf2 players, (no offense to you). Simply put, f2ps are still really inexperienced but have no way to realize it yet. If you don't know what I'm talking about go to tf2lobby.com and you will be amazed.
mrpikmin2

by Techercizer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15 am

24/7 Dustbowl beats 24/7 2fort any day.

I think it easily tops 24/7 turbine too, but that's my opinion.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Spyder » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:58 am

The Team Fortress 2 community is full of generally pompous players. Just read the Valve forums for a while.

The Free-to-play prejudice comes from the disingenuous assertion that any new player prior to the Uber update is a moron, an asshole, or a non-English speaking player (or anything in between). Therefore, people act pretty patronizing.
Image Image
Spyder

by Knees of Justice » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:04 am

Spyder wrote:The Team Fortress 2 community is full of generally pompous players. Just read the Valve forums for a while.

The Free-to-play prejudice comes from the disingenuous assertion that any new player prior to the Uber update is a moron, an asshole, or a non-English speaking player (or anything in between). Therefore, people act pretty patronizing.

Pretty much.

Not to mention, players might have a feeling of superiority over you because "they were playing the game before it was F2P"... which is understandable to a certain point but it's pretty bad in TF2.
Last edited by Knees of Justice on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

by Techercizer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:45 am

I only have the mercenary badge, and I've been playing since Launch.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Knees of Justice » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:10 am

Techercizer wrote:I only have the mercenary badge, and I've been playing since Launch.

Oops, that could've been easily misinterpreted. Edited my post to make it more clear.
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

by Spyder » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:58 am

Knees of Justice wrote:"they were playing the game before it was F2P"

Image Image
Spyder

Return to Team Fortress 2