Frame rate issues

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Frame rate issues

by Maringue » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:31 pm

So at some point about a month and a half ago, my frame rate when from nothing to worry about with all graphics on their max settings to nearly unplayable with a config file to boost my frame rate.

This about the time they added the second misc slot. I'm currently doing a full unistall/reinstall, but I'm looking for any other issues that might help.

For reference, here are my computer specs:
Intel Q6700 @ 2.66 GHz
4 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT w/256 MB (currently updating the driver)
Maringue
Blue Admin

Re: Frame rate issues

by Rustic Apple » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 pm

I find that deleting my /tf folder (aside from gamestate.txt and any custom HUDs/models/etc you have installed) tends to give my framerate a jump start whenever it gets bogged down or when TF2 gets crash happy. I read a post on some forum a year or 2 ago about what deleting that folder does, but it's probably since been purged, assuming the site isn't dead.
/random babbling

If a full re-install don't fix it, I dunno what else you can do.... your specs seem fine in my, admittedly un-educated, eyes.
Rustic Apple
Donator

by duck » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm

did you check your printer cables?
duck

by Mangachu » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:11 pm

fps config
fixes everything
I'm Mister Cevo (aka div5 shitnerd)
Bitch
Mangachu

by Maringue » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Anyone have a good fps config to recommend? The last one I used work ok, but there were some side effects that I didn't like, the most important being how choppy everything became. Basically my fps increased, but the fluidity of the player movements went down.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by chrsi » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:07 pm

chrsi

by Snowsickle » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 pm

The card just isn't quite part up to par for TF2. I used to run directx 8.0 and a full fps config on an 8600 and still saw a sub-30 fps in situations where it mattered.

Every patch seems to bring a whole new slew of particle effects and shit to render; it's just going to become worse as time goes on.

Also, if you go the FPS config route, be wary of the ones that include a network config portion. A lot of FPS configs include a whole bunch of network option adjustments that, if you ask me, made the game experience far, far less playable.
Last edited by Snowsickle on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snowsickle
Blue Admin

by mrpikmin2 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Mangachu wrote:fps config
fixes everything

I wish. I still can't aim.
mrpikmin2

by Maringue » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Snowsickle wrote:The card just isn't quite part up to par for TF2. I used to run directx 8.0 and a full fps config on an 8600 and still saw a sub-30 fps in situations where it mattered.

Every patch seems to bring a whole new slew of particle effects and shit to render; it's just going to become worse as time goes on.

Also, if you go the FPS config route, be wary of the ones that include a network config portion. A lot of FPS configs include a whole bunch of network option adjustments that, if you ask me, made the game experience far, far less playable.

Yeah, I looked at it and I pretty much need a new video card. The fucking particle effects are killing my machine.

Anyone have any good suggestions, keeping in mind that I'd like to keep this around $100.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Techercizer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Maringue wrote:
Snowsickle wrote:The card just isn't quite part up to par for TF2. I used to run directx 8.0 and a full fps config on an 8600 and still saw a sub-30 fps in situations where it mattered.

Yeah, I looked at it and I pretty much need a new video card. The fucking particle effects are killing my machine.

Anyone have any good suggestions, keeping in mind that I'd like to keep this around $100.

You might be able to find something to scrape you by, but a really good card, one that won't need replacing in the next couple of years, is going to run at least $200. Mine was about $300, but that's because the 470 series got discontinued and I had to buy a newer model.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by Maringue » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Any suggestions in the $200 range? I feel like it's nearly impossible to accurately compare video cards with all the crazy stats they throw out there now.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2