2 problems i have

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

2 problems i have

by tehs4ndman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:39 pm

1: I've been hearing countless complaints everyday about the class limitations. 1 engy limit on defense at badwater? I would guess something is wrong with this... I understand we want people to donate, but the limits should definitely be looked at and fixed.
2: THIS NEW VOTING SYSTEM! I know people like the new voting system and i hope some people support me on this one, but it seems like we play the same shitty maps over and over again and the servers keep dying out because of it and i have to switch it to a popular map anyway. ALONG with the fact having two votes is annoying as shit and gets in the way when we are in the middle of a battle. Can't we just have the old system back where we nominate the maps we want and have it so we don't play the same map like every 5-6 map changes?

These are my 2 problems of the day, thank you.

youtube channel with tf2 vids xD subscribe!! http://www.youtube.com/user/tehs4ndman

trade me!!! http://www.tf2items.com/id/tehs4ndman
tehs4ndman

Re: 2 problems i have

by Failhorse » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:50 pm

The engie limit isn't 1. It's 3. And figure in donors being able to bypass this entirely.

The voting system is fine. Just needs to be tweaked to happen at the end of the round. Not the middle. Also have run off voting when only 9 people vote would be helpful.

If shit is not going well map wise. Force something. No one will hate you 2 minutes later for it.
IE 3 votes win cp_junction. Choose something else. Daytime TF2, on the slayboxes, is new and needs love and an iron fist. If it's viable we need a completely separate list of maps until 5pm central time.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by tehs4ndman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:09 pm

Failhorse wrote:The engie limit isn't 1. It's 3. And figure in donors being able to bypass this entirely.

The voting system is fine. Just needs to be tweaked to happen at the end of the round. Not the middle. Also have run off voting when only 9 people vote would be helpful.

If shit is not going well map wise. Force something. No one will hate you 2 minutes later for it.
IE 3 votes win cp_junction. Choose something else. Daytime TF2, on the slayboxes, is new and needs love and an iron fist. If it's viable we need a completely separate list of maps until 5pm central time.

idk, today this guy couldn't go engy on def at badwater and we only had 1, does there have to be a certain amount of players to be able to have more? Also everyday i at least get 1 person complaining about class limitations, and not bullshit ones either like a 4th spy or something, legit ones like a 2nd medic on turbine or something. I really don't understand how it works, but I'm getting tired of the complaints.

youtube channel with tf2 vids xD subscribe!! http://www.youtube.com/user/tehs4ndman

tehs4ndman

by bjordan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:18 pm

I agree with sandman. Due to the new popularity of gunslinger engy and the points that go with it, it is a real bummer to have the one engy always go gunslinger. Not all maps are 1 engy, but I know that a lot are!!!
bjordan

by mrpikmin2 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:07 pm

medic isn't 1 on turbine, it's engie.

Do you really want 2 level 3 sentries in each base on turbine? Would that improve the game or make it 100% stalemate?

I like stuff the way it is, but I agree on how it's annoying if the only engie is gunslinger on something where a lv. 3 is crucial to defense.
mrpikmin2

by Mike808 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:14 pm

mrpikmin2 wrote:medic isn't 1 on turbine, it's engie.

Do you really want 2 level 3 sentries in each base on turbine? Would that improve the game or make it 100% stalemate?

I like stuff the way it is, but I agree on how it's annoying if the only engie is gunslinger on something where a lv. 3 is crucial to defense.

lrn2reed
When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by tehs4ndman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Mike808 wrote:

lrn2reed

tehs4ndman

by mrpikmin2 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Mike808 wrote:

lrn2reed

but engrish is hard :p

just trying to make the point the class limit shouldn't be removed entirely.
mrpikmin2

by Harri » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:59 pm

I don't think Sandy was suggesting a complete removal.
Harri
Blue Admin

by stanley » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:59 pm

ill agree that with the new system its kind of pointless to nominate anything. and i also i agree that we're playing shitty maps over and over again, i used to hate upward and frontier, now i would happily to play either of those compared to thundermountain and hoodoo which take an hour and a half to play, and people leave after the first 30 minutes. One last thing, we should change "capture point" to "attack defend" people get confused by that

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by GoDM1N » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:19 pm

FUCK!

Few months ago it was "We play the same maps over and over again. We need to fix this". Now its "We keep playing different maps, some of which i don't like, we need to fix this". I fail to see a problem with the voting system, it does want it was meant to, change things up so we're not playing the same maps over and over, and thats a good thing. The server isn't on a rotation, players vote on what comes next, and if you don't like the map, we have a 2nd slaybox that generally needs popping.

Ima post this again because I find it relevant

It doesn't matter what Finger does, hes not going to please everyone, and When he does fix said problems it goes ignored for some reason or another and he could of just done nothing. Personally I like the new voting system, and don't think anything needs to be done to it. People just need to vote for the maps they want, and if they don't like what gets voted for, deal with it or try the 2nd slaybox, or make a server of their own thats 24/7 5cp, which is what I think a few people are after.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Jake » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Trauma Advocate wrote:I hate how we don't have enough forum drama.

How is this even remotely constructive?
"every fucking post on the god damn site" -Ghandi
Jake

by Trauma Advocate » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Jake wrote:How is this even remotely constructive?

Oh well, I guess that's the difference between you and me. I'm here to play TF2 and have fun and you're here to make sure I stay in line. ;)
Trauma Advocate
Donator
Spooky

by Harri » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Holy Fuck. stfu everyone.

:(

I agree Godmin. Fingerman does a lot to for the community, gets shit on, and generally gets little thanks.
Jake/Trauma- Really, really now?

Move this shit to admin lounge please. I would, but apparently only imaginary redmin get forum mod.

Edit: I've had some booze. This only means I lose my filter dealing with BS on CSn forums.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Jake » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:12 pm

Trauma Advocate wrote:
Jake wrote:How is this even remotely constructive?

Oh well, I guess that's the difference between you and me. I'm here to play TF2 and have fun and you're here to make sure I stay in line. ;)

I'm not sure that's the only difference.
"every fucking post on the god damn site" -Ghandi
Jake

by stanley » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 pm

the problem is going to thunder mountain for 2 hours kills the server...and does nominating maps even work with the new system?

stanley

by Mike808 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 pm

godmin you always bring up past things that dont really apply anymore, all it does is cause more drama. dont need to go and blow things out of the water.
no one has been bitching about random crits now days and i doubt there is anyone in this community who wants 5 cp 24/7.

the problem is that after a map type is voted, if the map has been recently played then it does not appear until the next time that mode is chosen. because of this stage pl usually ends up on thundermountain when people actually selected plstage for goldrush. the server is then stuck on thundermountain for around 2 hours unless someone screams over mic to rtv or an admin starts another vote. thundermountain takes sooo long to finish that people usually leave and it destroys the server.
i personally love the new voting system, the only suggestion is to keep the way the mode vote works (2 modes played before it can be played again i think) but to allow the map lists to be full.

and and plr_hightower needs a timelimit. 1.5 hours at a standstill is really bad
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by fingerman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

The class limits should be fixed now. The problem was that on some maps the previous map would carry over the limit to the next map. I fixed the maps so they should work with the correct class limits.

As for map choosing. I will get back to you on how that might be improved. Some people prefer playing the same map over and over, others do not. I might consider having a day and night time rotation which might help with popping it in the morning and late at night, but give you some intelligent way to choose maps in between.

Do you guys like choosing the style of map, like the game type, or do you prefer just picking from some choices of map names?
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Techercizer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:58 pm

fingerman wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

The class limits should be fixed now. The problem was that on some maps the previous map would carry over the limit to the next map. I fixed the maps so they should work with the correct class limits.

As for map choosing. I will get back to you on how that might be improved. Some people prefer playing the same map over and over, others do not. I might consider having a day and night time rotation which might help with popping it in the morning and late at night, but give you some intelligent way to choose maps in between.

Do you guys like choosing the style of map, like the game type, or do you prefer just picking from some choices of map names?

Well choosing anything is difficult when it happens in a firefight, since I use my number keys for weapons. When I actually get to vote though, I usually prefer looking at maps to looking at game types, myself. To me, Hightower and Badwater play as different as Dustbowl and Badlands do; it's not the game mode that defines the experience as much as the specific maps. When I look at "capture point", "payload", "kpth" options, I don't really feel like I can tell what maps are in those categories, or which ones will be playable if I vote for them.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by tehs4ndman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:12 pm

you're the man fingerman, now about the map vote system, i like it, it gives us a chance to choose the map type which is nice, the only problem with this IMO! is that since we don't get to nominate maps, it comes up with the same maps over and over, and wen a map is eliminated because we played it, it usually leaves us with a single map such as what mike suggests, thundermountain and hightower. I have nothing against those maps, but they are server killers. Playing them once in a while is great, but everytime we vote for pl stages and hoodoo or thundermountain comes up, we have to play it for like 2 hours, and once these maps are put back into the vote rotation, it gets INSANELY repetitive. Now hear is this crazy idea, have the MODE type vote EARLY in the round, so we can have time which will allow us to nominate, then when we type out nominate it comes up with maps of the voted mode. Idk maybe with the addition of other maps so there is a greater number of maps per mode... that could work. I just feel like wenever i see this vote, i put payload just to try to keep the server populated, not to pick the map i like.

tehs4ndman

by Techercizer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Maybe have gametype vote at the end of the final round (or the first round that *could* be final in either-way modes like Payload, AD, or TC), and then the map vote as humiliation starts?
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by stanley » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:34 pm

tehs4ndman wrote:

you're the man fingerman, now about the map vote system, i like it, it gives us a chance to choose the map type which is nice, the only problem with this IMO! is that since we don't get to nominate maps, it comes up with the same maps over and over, and wen a map is eliminated because we played it, it usually leaves us with a single map such as what mike suggests, thundermountain and hightower. I have nothing against those maps, but they are server killers. Playing them once in a while is great, but everytime we vote for pl stages and hoodoo or thundermountain comes up, we have to play it for like 2 hours, and once these maps are put back into the vote rotation, it gets INSANELY repetitive. Now hear is this crazy idea, have the MODE type vote EARLY in the round, so we can have time which will allow us to nominate, then when we type out nominate it comes up with maps of the voted mode. Idk maybe with the addition of other maps so there is a greater number of maps per mode... that could work. I just feel like wenever i see this vote, i put payload just to try to keep the server populated, not to pick the map i like.

arent all the possible maps already available when the map type is selected? i.e if the mapvote is capture point, all the capture point maps come up in the server vote? so it would be pointless to nominate. i think we should be able to nominate a map and have it come up at the map type selection, like how hydro used to be its category, i know this will probably put a bias on the voters to vote for the nominate map as it will probably catch their eye more than a map type, but i dont see how else it could be done

stanley

by tehs4ndman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 pm

stanley the manley wrote:
tehs4ndman wrote:

arent all the possible maps already available when the map type is selected? i.e if the mapvote is capture point, all the capture point maps come up in the server vote? so it would be pointless to nominate. i think we should be able to nominate a map and have it come up at the map type selection, like how hydro used to be its category, i know this will probably put a bias on the voters to vote for the nominate map as it will probably catch their eye more than a map type, but i dont see how else it could be done

really i didn't realize it was all of them... thats kinda what i was saying though with adding more to make that possible. I think if we are gonna stick with nominating maps, maybe the map type should be taken out all together. Lol the only thing i can possibly think of... have a 2 map votes. First, with EVERY MAP ON THE SERVER in the vote, and have like a next page button so people can scroll threw them, and maybe randomize it so people don't pick the same maps that are all on the first page. Then later in the map take the most popular ones and put them in the final vote. I still like the idea of taking out the maps that have been played within like the last 6 maps so that should stay. I realize this might not work because there will probably be like 1 vote per map on the first vote, but i think it gives much more diversity to the map choices. MAYBE it can work!

tehs4ndman

by GoDM1N » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 pm

stanley the manley wrote:the problem is going to thunder mountain for 2 hours kills the server...and does nominating maps even work with the new system?

Thunder Mountain was played often before the new voting system was added, so were Hightower, Hoodoo ect so whats your point? Also the server can die on any map, I've seen it die on badwater and goldrush in the past and I don't think Thunder Mountain necessarily kills the server. I've seen the server go and leave TM before and things were fine, sometimes a server will simply die randomly so I wouldn't blame TM or any map for that matter for the "server getting deaded" problem. If people vote for it and the server dies it most likely wasn't the map that crashed the server and if you don't like the map then you don't have to play it.

So whats the problem? Its that you simply dont like playing what you think are "shitty maps" and thats fine. However some people like these "shitty" maps and think the maps you like are "shitty. Maps that you don't like are going to be played at some point, and imo everyone needs to deal with it. With the way things are now, everything gets played, and once it does get played it doesn't get played again for awhile to allow other things to be played. This is a good thing imo, and if the server goes to a map you dislike, we have two slayboxes and chances are the map you like isn't blocked yet on the other server.

Mike, it is relevant. The point is it doesn't matter what Finger does he isn't going to please everyone and in some cases (this being one of them imo) it'll just be another change that was unneeded and wont change anything. It wont matter if he takes it off or not its not going to fix the problem because the map chooser itself isn't the problem. The problem (from my point of view) is some people simply don't like playing the off maps that aren't badwater, goldrush, upward, badlands ect and there isn't a way of fixing this because everyone likes playing different maps. With the way its setup now at least it keeps the server playing different things which pleases a larger player base than people who just like goldrush ect ect. If we took the map chooser off and put it back the way it was we'd go back to seeing posters saying "why do we play badwater and goldrush so much?" and nothing is fixed, its just been tipped in the other groups favor.

Finger, I like choosing the game type like it is now, its more organized and is more simple than choosing from a cluster of unorganized maps in a list. I also like not playing the same maps over and over, which the voting system we have now does well. I also don't think we need to change what maps can be played in the morning, sometimes 2fort in the morning is a good thing :3
Last edited by GoDM1N on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoDM1N
Donator

by fingerman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 pm

I added more nom nom nominations, you can nom the shit outta shit.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Techercizer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 pm

I like the increased variety of maps too, but don't like having to vote for Payload or Capture Point instead of Badwater or Dustbowl. And, if Badwater (or Dustbowl) starts losing the vote, I'd like to be able to vote for the other one instead of being locked into my choices because they're different gametypes.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by GoDM1N » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:55 pm

fingerman wrote:I added more nom nom nominations, you can nom the shit outta shit.

Thought actually. Could you make it so if more than say half the server nominates something that was locked due to being played too previously, it unlocks it for the vote? Mainly maps, not game types.
GoDM1N
Donator

by stanley » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:56 pm

GoDM1N wrote:
stanley the manley wrote:the problem is going to thunder mountain for 2 hours kills the server...and does nominating maps even work with the new system?

Thunder Mountain was played often before the new voting system was added, so were Hightower, Hoodoo ect so whats your point? Also the server can die on any map, I've seen it die on badwater and goldrush in the past and I don't think Thunder Mountain necessarily kills the server. I've seen the server go and leave TM before and things were fine, sometimes a server will simply die randomly so I wouldn't blame TM or any map for that matter for the "server getting deaded" problem. If people vote for it and the server dies it most likely wasn't the map that crashed the server and if you don't like the map then you don't have to play it.

So whats the problem? Its that you simply dont like playing what you think are "shitty maps" and thats fine. However some people like these "shitty" maps and think the maps you like are "shitty. Maps that you don't like are going to be played at some point, and imo everyone needs to deal with it. With the way things are now, everything gets played, and once it does get played it doesn't get played again for awhile to allow other things to be played. This is a good thing imo, and if the server goes to a map you dislike, we have two slayboxes and chances are the map you like isn't blocked yet on the other server.

Mike, it is relevant. The point is it doesn't matter what Finger does he isn't going to please everyone and in some cases (this being one of them imo) it'll just be another change that was unneeded and wont change anything. It wont matter if he takes it off or not its not going to fix the problem because the map chooser itself isn't the problem. The problem (from my point of view) is some people simply don't like playing the off maps that aren't badwater, goldrush, upward, badlands ect and there isn't a way of fixing this because everyone likes playing different maps. With the way its setup now at least it keeps the server playing different things which pleases a larger player base than people who just like goldrush ect ect. If we took the map chooser off and put it back the way it was we'd go back to seeing posters saying "why do we play badwater and goldrush so much?" and nothing is fixed, its just been tipped in the other groups favor.

Finger, I like choosing the game type like it is now, its more organized and is more simple than choosing from a cluster of unorganized maps in a list. I also like not playing the same maps over and over, which the voting system we have now does well.

i completely disagree...first off we play thunder mountain and hoodoo 5 times the amount we used to play them, and yes godmin, these maps have a tendency to kill the server more than most maps. second, if youre saying that because we complain means we dont appreciate what finger does, thats wrong too. while what he does is great, that doesnt mean it cant be improved, and thats all the suggestions do, we're just trying to improve the server, just like everyone else.
lastly, what if we had nomination system where the nominated map skips the map type vote and goes straight to the final vote, i.e we could have a koth map in a pl vote, just to make sure it gives the nominated map a chance.

stanley

by tehs4ndman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:03 am

GoDM1N wrote:

Finger, I like choosing the game type like it is now, its more organized and is more simple than choosing from a cluster of unorganized maps in a list. I also like not playing the same maps over and over, which the voting system we have now does well.

we all appreciate what fingerman does for the community, and aren't criticizing him. I think its a good thing that we want to better the voting system. Of course everyone won't be happy no matter what it is, but it's at least nice to try to refine the system and make it the BEST it can be. I don't think the problem is necessarily these few maps that last forever, because even i like playing them sometime. With this type of voting system, it just so happen most of the time (and i know because i play A LOT in the servers) the same modes are picked over and over again. This concept constricts the map choices (especially if maps from these modes are being eliminated) for people who might not want them. See before the new system, I think part of the problem was people weren't enticed to nominate a map. It's just been the people who play here, who know to nominate a map picking the popular ones. Maybe if there was a more noticeable and more simplistic way to nominate maps and have it kind of forced on everyone without having to pick a map TYPE, there will be a much wider range of maps played. I didn't start this to bitch and moan about the system we have, I just think there can be ways to make it more convenient and make the game play more diverse.
Last edited by tehs4ndman on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

tehs4ndman

by Techercizer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:05 am

stanley the manley wrote:i completely disagree...first off we play thunder mountain and hoodoo 5 times the amount we used to play them, and yes godmin, these maps have a tendency to kill the server more than most maps. second, if youre saying that because we complain means we dont appreciate what finger does, thats wrong too. while what he does is great, that doesnt mean it cant be improved, and thats all the suggestions do, we're just trying to improve the server, just like everyone else.
lastly, what if we had nomination system where the nominated map skips the map type vote and goes straight to the final vote, i.e we could have a koth map in a pl vote, just to make sure it gives the nominated map a chance.

I like that idea. It'd be a sort of hybrid system; all the old favorite maps of the old system up to choose from, plus all the maps of a specific game type for those who don't know what they want to play yet.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by GoDM1N » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:12 am

stanley the manley wrote:i completely disagree...first off we play thunder mountain and hoodoo 5 times the amount we used to play them, and yes godmin, these maps have a tendency to kill the server more than most maps. second, if youre saying that because we complain means we dont appreciate what finger does, thats wrong too. while what he does is great, that doesnt mean it cant be improved, and thats all the suggestions do, we're just trying to improve the server, just like everyone else.

Im not saying people dont always appreciate the changes he makes. Im saying some of the changes people asked to be fixed cant be. If we go back to 24/7 badwater, goldrush ect we'll go back to people complaining about the servers always being on those maps. With the way things are now (like I said) everything gets played, regardless if group A or B likes it. This is why I think what we have now is a fair solution

Sandman, agree.
GoDM1N
Donator

by Techercizer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:15 am

Well Godm1n, the alternative is that everyone stops complaining and nothing new ever gets implemented ever unless Finger, Benny, or another Redmin decides it's worth a try.

There's nothing wrong with complaining; it's the invisible hand that guides many social systems through development. What IS wrong is when people in charge can't stand a single complaint about anything they do. That doesn't seem to be happening here, so I'm glad people are complaining to Finger, and I'm glad he's here to listen to their ideas, including the ones that disagree with mine.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Mike808 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 am

i already spoke to finger about this.
the easiest way imo to fix the thundermountain and hightower problem is to allow maps that were played before to appear in the vote anyways.

the mode vote is great and should not be touched. i think right now its set so you cant play the same mode again until 2 different modes are played after.
the problem for me is after payload is voted, people choose goldrush. after goldrush is done we go through 2 different modes. then the mode vote comes up and staged pl appears again.
but after staged pl wins only thundermountain and hoodoo appear because goldrush was already played.
its a problem because everyone votes pl because they want goldrush, goldrush isnt there so they just press 1. and 1 is thundermountain.

keep mode vote the same. edit map vote
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by GoDM1N » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 am

Techercizer wrote:Well Godm1n, the alternative is that everyone stops complaining and nothing new ever gets implemented ever unless Finger, Benny, or another Redmin decides it's worth a try.

Or when people are complaining about things that you don't feel need fixing you can complain back and make counter arguments.

Mike, yes, but some people actually do want TM
GoDM1N
Donator

by Failhorse » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:43 am

You guys make me sick. First off. The new voting system is new. NEW! Of course there are going to be tweaks required. A month ago the complaint was too much payload. I can probably quote 5-6 different people on the amount of play Upward received. Adding in some nonsense off topic BS isn't going to solve anything. Yelling at each other is worse.

On the class limit issue. That's partially my fault. I set them up. But didn't go back and tweak things when the map list expanded. I also didn't check them after the servers lost some critical information a while back. The map cfgs weren't the correct files.

On the map selection in general. There are a few issues. This doesn't relate to what maps are in play at any point in time. It's the time they are selected and the lack of needing a majority that clears the server. Also it's partial user error.

So let's solve some problems and get back on point. Any further attacks or idiocy will be dealt with swiftly.

Over all, to solve a bad map winning by 3 votes. (total.) Especially when an admin is playing during the day. Change the map. sm_setnextmap is a wonderful thing. You can just pick the nextmap. Go figure.
Code: Select all
in chat /sm_nextmap cp_badlands

If you set this before a vote. The vote will never come up. If you don't have a clear understanding of what keeps people in the server. Don't use it. IE outside of badwater, goldrush, badlands, and dustbowl.

Solving the map voting process is also easy. Requiring a run off vote will help. Then a map can't win with 3 votes. The old map voting system also popped up at the end, vs in the middle of a round. We currently have 2 votes happening. Keeping the map type to the middle, then voting for the actual map at the end will make things easier. This will also help retain players. Those who didn't join in the middle have no say. Now they would.

Questions?
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Techercizer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:52 am

Failhorse wrote:
Questions?

How are we supposed to make objective choices of which gametype we want when a large chunk of the playerbase is voting randomly because the votebox is unexpectedly replacing their weapon switch keys in the middle of a round?
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Failhorse » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:55 am

That vote is only scoring on 1/2 the people in the server anyway. IE most aren't voting. Requiring a majority would fix it. As I've said. Also moving the actual map vote to the end would be helpful. There is at least 1 good map in every category.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by GoDM1N » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:01 pm

I would like to point out that since the server lost the newer voting system the only 4 maps that are being played are Badwater, Goldrush, Dustbowl and upward. Not even joking, haven't seen the server leave those maps.
GoDM1N
Donator

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 pm

You forgot hightower and granary.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by GoDM1N » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm

Failhorse wrote:You forgot hightower and granary.

Haven't seen hightower, Granary like twice.
GoDM1N
Donator

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:09 pm

I played hightower 6 times yesterday.
its not fun anymore.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by duck » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Failhorse wrote:I played hightower 6 times yesterday.
its not fun anymore.
duck

by stanley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:12 pm

both systems are highly flawed, but to be honest, i think the current one is better.

stanley

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:09 pm

At least with the current model nominations actually mean something.
And if you are talkative and a bit pushy you can get a good map voted for.

The other system has a better overall map experience but it's too random.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by mrpikmin2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 pm

duck wrote:
Failhorse wrote:I played hightower 6 times yesterday.
its not fun anymore.

this.

also, can someone explain the reasoning for turning random crits off in SB2? If you still can call a vote, I either connect too late to vote or don't know the text command to vote for one. Just wondering.
mrpikmin2

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:33 pm

nocrit was bad for continuing server population. I'd go more into detail, but it effected one of our trade secrets.

(as much as i hate it. it's a necessary evil.)
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Amplify » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Failhorse wrote:nocrit was bad for continuing server population. I'd go more into detail, but it effected one of our trade secrets.

(as much as i hate it. it's a necessary evil.)

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--
Amplify
Tournament Staff

Return to Team Fortress 2