sv_pure is annoying.

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

sv_pure is annoying.

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:49 am

I understand the reason behind it's use, I really do, but all that it really does is make all the cool skins one wants on a weapon pointless. I love using custom skins, but so many servers are scared of the nefarious uses they have, and to some degree, I understand. But some people just get tired of using the same looking weapons over a long period of time, especially broken skins like the grenade launcher or the sticky launcher. I was just wondering what the admins think about it. If you guys defend it, I totally understand, and all these various skins are going bye bye.
VoltySquirrel

Re: sv_pure is annoying.

by GoDM1N » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:46 am

though I'm not a admin, I hate anything custom in a fps game, especially in this one. HuDs ect are one thing, but other than that I'd rather not play with people with super loud spy watch sounds.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Maringue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:33 am

Right now Benny has a lot of things to fix, so things need to be prioritized. The way to allow people to have some custom skins is to create a "white list" of allowed skins/mods/sounds and have the server block everything else. As you can probably guess, this is a time consuming process. Right now sv_pure is in place to stop thing like Godm1n mentioned. With the current outbreak of hacking and exploiting the game going on, we don't want people with reduced opacity walls (allowing them to see through the walls) or a custom spy decloak sound that is the equivalent of a fire alarm that they can hear from across the map.

I know squat about code, so after Benny and the others get the needed plugins working correctly and finish all the donor benefit goodies, a white list will be made. It's definitely on the "to do" list.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 am

I understand all that. Just wanted to know what everybody thought. That's why earlier today I moved my skins into a separate folder for easy use. I totally understand what GoDM1N is saying though.
VoltySquirrel

by Plasma Waffle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am

Yea on our servers when I was running The Fallen with Benny Hill, we had problems with people wall hacking when sv_pure wasn't set. It sucks, but there's always those people who will ruin it for everyone
Plasma Waffle

Return to Team Fortress 2