tf2... REALISTIC?!?

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

tf2... REALISTIC?!?

by critspam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:33 pm

my parents dont like me playing TF2 because its realistic. are they blind? since when did reality involve grenades shattering on impact or killing people by pointing at them? and not to mention double jumping. this is crazy! how is TF2 realistic?
crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits.

just living up to my name.
critspam

Re: tf2... REALISTIC?!?

by Nikki Wolf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:47 pm

TF2 is not meant to be realistic, hence the cartoonish mid-20th century style of visuals. I don't think they like you playing it because of the blood and violence, which is to be expected in any T+-rated game. (same for vulgar language, but there's barely any swearing in TF2)
Nikki Wolf

by critspam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:52 pm

they still said it was realistic when i told them that i wasnt actually killing anyone. they might have been a bit unnerved by the demomans decapitations but they told me it was realistic! WTF! they dont like me playing because they think its realistic as ell as a bit violent. BUT VIOLENCE IS UNAVOIDABLE IN LIFE! when will they get that into their tiny minds?!? (they do have tiny minds. i know. cause i checked under a semi-X-ray that i have)
crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits crits.

critspam

by BoB Dolen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Its just a way for them to try and spin it.

Same thing happened to me years ago with my high school at the time and CS, they told me it was "ULTRA REALISTIC" and shit.
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

by Mangachu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:55 pm

The dx9 graphics remind of the the pixar movie
The Incredibles
Image and the heavy Image
looks the exact same amirite?
I'm Mister Cevo (aka div5 shitnerd)
Bitch
Mangachu

by critspam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

no it does not look exactly the same.

anyway why are cartoons listed in adults minds as "REALISTIC OMG STUP THAT GUY FR0M PLAYING THAT GAME IZZ REALISTIC!" if its completely the opposite. heavy kills stuff by pointing and pyros barb-wire-and-thorns axe hurts LESS then the def axe!

critspam

by WHAMbulance » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:43 pm

BoB Dolen wrote:Its just a way for them to try and spin it.

Same thing happened to me years ago with my high school at the time and CS, they told me it was "ULTRA REALISTIC" and shit.

+1 They just don't want your mind to be warped by the horrific violence in TF2.
Bacon is delicious.
Don't squeeze me, I'll fart
WHAMbulance

by HibiscusKazeneko » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:03 pm

My mother was the same way. She was violently opposed to any and all electronic entertainment entering the house, and games over E made her rage. I remember her freaking out when she found out there was a sniper in TF2 (God forbid :roll: ).
Fortunately she's not around to complain anymore :twisted:
HibiscusKazeneko

by JimBob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

This is why I keep to myself....
๑ﭥ klanana: it's funny that you always thought i was a guy, named klare
JimBoBob: Fail, oaties!
๑ﭥ klanana: tbh, i always thought you were mean to me before because i was a girl
oaties: lol, really?
๑ﭥ klanana: then i found out you thought i was a guy.
JimBob

by Smeemo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Tell them to stfu or you'll backstab them like you learned how to do by playing Spy in TF2. It worked for Hibiscus.
Smeemo

by Echoplex » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm

x
Last edited by Echoplex on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Konfy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 pm

lolololol my dad bought me Cs 1.6 when I was 12 :D
Konfy

by Fencerboy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 pm

JimBob wrote:This is why I keep to myself....

By keep to ur self u mean lock ur self in a closet with ur computer and a box of Lucky Charms?
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by Ackybur » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:18 pm

I'll never forget when I was 16 and my grandma told me she saw a story by doctor phil and the violent effects of video games. She told me she was going to go with me from now on to buy them, I then laughed at her.
Ackybur
Donator

by critspam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 pm

but most of my playtime is in engie class...

(BTW my engie class has a current time played of 30 hours)

critspam

by squar3d » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Essentially you have asked a bunch of people who play tf2 (so much so that they have joined a community), and hence most likely they will confirm your experience. Just like your parents, the people here will also be biased, abet more similar to your opinion. So ill be the odd one out.

Most likely, when they say "realistic", they just mean the game reinforces concepts of violence and war as socially acceptable. It's not meant to be semantic argument... "people can double jump" (of course they can't), but rather a concern of the violent nature of the game. Compared to other games, tf2 cartoon style does lend itself to being less realistic than other type killing games, which is a valid point that you may bring up. On the other hand, I have noticed quite a few of beheading, body parts that can be strewn, and excessive blood spurting which definitely ups its gore/Violence factor.

Contrary to popular belief, video games won't make you into a mass murder, that's ridiculous. But, violent video games tend to desensitize the player to the violence inherent in the game. For parents desensitization is a valid concern, and brings up two issues. First that you no longer value the concepts of discourse and respect of others, and are quick to resort to violence as an acceptable solution for those you disagree with. Secondly, that you no longer realize that war, real war, is a serious thing that seriously messes people up. In war, assuming you survive with all your or some of your parts, most likely you will still have some form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Read about it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder.

War is serious shit, don't forget that.

If you can maintain that there is a notably difference between the game and your life, i think you might have a chance. But shouting that "Violence is unavoidable in life" and saying they have "tiny minds", is being just as pig-headed and ignorant as you claim your parents are. Seriously, if you want to play mature games, it helps to at least act a little bit mature.
squar3d
Donator

by BoB Dolen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 pm

squar3d wrote:Most likely, when they say "realistic", they just mean the game reinforces concepts of violence and war as socially acceptable.

From my bitch of a experience I can say that they truthfully might think "realistic"
Last edited by BoB Dolen on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator

by Sirnak » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:37 pm

squar3d wrote:Essentially you have asked a bunch of people who play tf2 (so much so that they have joined a community), and hence most likely they will confirm your experience. Just like your parents, the people here will also be biased, abet more similar to your opinion. So ill be the odd one out.

Most likely, when they say "realistic", they just mean the game reinforces concepts of violence and war as socially acceptable. It's not meant to be semantic argument... "people can double jump" (of course they can't), but rather a concern of the violent nature of the game. Compared to other games, tf2 cartoon style does lend itself to being less realistic than other type killing games, which is a valid point that you may bring up. On the other hand, I have noticed quite a few of beheading, body parts that can be strewn, and excessive blood spurting which definitely ups its gore/Violence factor.

Contrary to popular belief, video games won't make you into a mass murder, that's ridiculous. But, violent video games tend to desensitize the player to the violence inherent in the game. For parents desensitization is a valid concern, and brings up two issues. First that you no longer value the concepts of discourse and respect of others, and are quick to resort to violence as an acceptable solution for those you disagree with. Secondly, that you no longer realize that war, real war, is a serious thing that seriously messes people up. In war, assuming you survive with all your or some of your parts, most likely you will still have some form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Read about it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder.

War is serious shit, don't forget that.

If you can maintain that there is a notably difference between the game and your life, i think you might have a chance. But shouting that "Violence is unavoidable in life" and saying they have "tiny minds", is being just as pig-headed and ignorant as you claim your parents are. Seriously, if you want to play mature games, it helps to at least act a little bit mature.

I was about to write the exact same thing. lol

You are an inteligent dude. I like you. Like, really. :)
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by GoDM1N » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 am

TF2 is a simulation of how to pill the point in Egypt
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by BoB Dolen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 am

GoDM1N wrote:TF2 is a simulation of how to pill the point in Egypt

You sir deserve an award
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator

by KillerProtist » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:53 am

Just explain to them that TF2 is an impressionist expression of the horrific battlefield of war. It's just like taking an Art Class, really, except that you're part of the art, which makes it that much more educational. :P
KillerProtist

by JimBob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Fencerboy wrote:
JimBob wrote:This is why I keep to myself....

By keep to ur self u mean lock ur self in a closet with ur computer and a box of Lucky Charms?

Froot loops, tyvm.
๑ﭥ klanana: it's funny that you always thought i was a guy, named klare
JimBoBob: Fail, oaties!
๑ﭥ klanana: tbh, i always thought you were mean to me before because i was a girl
oaties: lol, really?
๑ﭥ klanana: then i found out you thought i was a guy.
JimBob

by duck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:55 pm

my parents hate my gaming. I only got this game last October after I quit mw2. I live in Alaska and there isn't much to do. so I game. but sometimes mom gets on the mic and shouts "imma backstab you" because she hears me shouting that. luckily she doesn't know the talk button.
duck

by NBC011795 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Tf2 is NOT realistic at all, and I hope if they make a TF3, It stays the same
NBC011795
Pink Admin

by Guy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 am

I don't know if I would play a TF3... I mean srsly... look how final fantasy turned out. I think they just need to stick to their guns and revamp thier coding for the game.

As for war and gore... I thought this was a hat simulator?
What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by VoltySquirrel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:00 am

NBC011795 wrote:Tf2 is NOT realistic at all, and I hope if they make a TF3, It stays the same

Valve hates the number 3.
VoltySquirrel

by Dèx » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 am

UnicornPoop wrote:my parents hate my gaming. I only got this game last October after I quit mw2. I live in Alaska and there isn't much to do. so I game. but sometimes mom gets on the mic and shouts "imma backstab you" because she hears me shouting that. luckily she doesn't know the talk button.

Momy unicorn please backstab your son and give me he's account information
‹Failhorse› you guys are fucking boring.
How to get a girl
This works. Walk up to a girl and shake her hand. Complement her boobs, tell her she has a nice smile. Tell her your children with her will be beautiful. Complement her boobs again.
- Guy
Dèx

by Argent » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Isn't this just a hat simulator?

>[I] TAKE THAT, CLOCKS
Argent
Donator
The Fourth Suited Ace

by SovietPanda » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:48 pm

Argent wrote:Isn't this just a hat simulator?

Correction, it's a war themed hat simulator.
SovietPanda
Gold Admin

by Omega » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Run it on the lowest settings, problem solved :D
Delayed Flight -> Cancelled Flight -> 20 + Mosquito Bites -> Delayed Flight -> Jet Lag ... And I thought vacations were relaxing, Boy was I wrong D:
Omega

Return to Team Fortress 2