The Ambassador: how does use?

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

The Ambassador: how does use?

by Techercizer » Wed May 25, 2011 11:47 am

Anyone here have some advice for this revolver replacement? I've recently started using it for the first time, and I don't seem to be doing very well at the moment.

I think my main problem is that I'm trying to use it like a revolver, so I ask the CS forums: what situations do you think the ambassador shines in? If you use it, do you have any tips?
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

Re: The Ambassador: how does use?

by HibiscusKazeneko » Wed May 25, 2011 12:38 pm

1 word: headshots.
You get a crit every time you headshot someone.
HibiscusKazeneko

by doppelganger » Wed May 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Right, Headshots... this translates to practice. It just takes practice to get a feel for it. With the ambassador you need to slow down, aim better, and fire slower. If you're good with the ambassador you can be rather aggressive with it, however, it's ultimately designed as a finishing tool.
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

by Sirnak » Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 pm

I was using the Ambassador all the time until very recently. Yes, it is very different from the revolver.

The Ambassador aims like shit if you don't let it cool down for something like one second between each shot. Also, you can't headshot anybody if you don't let it cool down for one second between each shot EVEN IF YOU ACTUALLY SHOOT THROUGH YOUR TARGET'S HEAD.

Learn patience and wait for the cooldown to finish before shooting unless you are sure that a bodyshot is enough to finish off your target. You should always try to headshot with the Ambassador. Always. 120 damage for a Spy attack is awesome especially since you can uncloak yourself behind enemy lines, which gives you the opportunity to aim at targets from locations they wouldn't suspect being sniped from. Though, the Ambassador main use is killing strategic targets that you wouldn't be able to kill with a backstab while the regular revolver is more like a tool to manage to defend yourself once you are spotted (although it can also be used for good kills too).

My personal strategies with the Ambassador consist of countering Snipers and Engies. Razorbacks are annoying. The Ambassador allows you to kill the Razorback Sniper more quickly. One headhot and one bodyshot should suffice to kill him. No Sniper reaction time is enough to turn around and kill you if you manage to land both hits consecutively at the opposite of the revolver which allows some time to the Sniper to defend himself before dying (if it's a good Sniper with a good reaction time). Also, Engies that are too well hidden behind their stuff can be killed easily with the Ambassador. Once he's taken out, you can zap his stuff. Ambassadors also allow you to actually enter headshotting contests with Snipers. I did win some headshotting duels with Snipers. It leaves them madly pissed off, which is even funnier. But you shouldn't duel Snipers with the Ambassador unless it's for the lol. Be sneakier.

Ambassadors allow you to be even sneakier than your usual Spy self. It's great for supporting your team but not as much suited for direct combat as the revolver is unless you have great aiming (not that the revolver is the best weapon for direct combat either).

That's it for my Ambassador strategies. Get rid of annoying Snipers and Engies. Snipe enemies in the head if you are spotted and wait for the cooldown before shooting again. Always aim at the head and wait for the cooldown to finish unless you are sure a bodyshot can kill your target. That's it.

(I write too much lol)
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by Trauma Advocate » Wed May 25, 2011 1:18 pm

As Sirnak said, Snipers, Engineers, but also random bullshit kills. ;) In the midst of a melee you would normally lose, such as against a Scout, Demoman, or even a Pyro or weakened Soldier, one headshot turns the battle instantly.

Some people become godly with their ability to track an opponent's head too, and at that point there's almost no reason to use the revolver anymore. I've yet to meet anyone that good though.

One tactic I particularly love is to disguise as a friendly pyro to lure your enemies into a false sense of security, then nail them with a headshot at long range. Even fooled Konfy with that one. ;)
Trauma Advocate
Donator
Spooky

by Techercizer » Wed May 25, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm not exactly the greatest shot at the moment, but hopefully I'll get better as I use the Ambassador more. It seems like I'll also have to learn to stop trigger-spamming when trying to kill a pursuer...

I guess I'll dust off my Cloak&Dagger and see what sort of ninja dome-dusters I can make after a while... It's just so hard to hit all those tiny moving targets with no zoom.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Techercizer » Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 pm

I think I'm getting better with it now that I'm playing more like a sniper and less like a spy; I got 2nd on the scoreboard during a 6v6 dead zone tonight.

It's ultimately a bit disappointing though, because it's starting to look like you need to choose between getting in position to snipe people or stab them, and stabs tend to work better and do more damage if you're able to set them up.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by doppelganger » Thu May 26, 2011 2:43 am

Techercizer wrote:I think I'm getting better with it now that I'm playing more like a sniper and less like a spy; I got 2nd on the scoreboard during a 6v6 dead zone tonight.

It's ultimately a bit disappointing though, because it's starting to look like you need to choose between getting in position to snipe people or stab them, and stabs tend to work better and do more damage if you're able to set them up.

That's why ambassador is plan B for me... if you rely too much on the ambassador you become sloppy. Spy is not about running in and double headshotting everything before they can kill you.
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

by Sirnak » Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 am

doppelganger wrote:
Techercizer wrote:I think I'm getting better with it now that I'm playing more like a sniper and less like a spy; I got 2nd on the scoreboard during a 6v6 dead zone tonight.

That's why ambassador is plan B for me... if you rely too much on the ambassador you become sloppy. Spy is not about running in and double headshotting everything before they can kill you.

I completely agree with Doppie on this. Not only does the Ambassador doesn't grant you the nice 2 points a backstab does, but it also takes you more time to kill people and you can't really make "headshot chains" compared to "backstab chains", which basically means you are less useful and active for your team. Ambassador is for plan B for me. Or even plan C. ;)
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by Techercizer » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 am

Sirnak wrote:
doppelganger wrote:

I completely agree with Doppie on this. Not only does the Ambassador doesn't grant you the nice 2 points a backstab does, but it also takes you more time to kill people and you can't really make "headshot chains" compared to "backstab chains", which basically means you are less useful and active for your team. Ambassador is for plan B for me. Or even plan C. ;)

I guess I'll keep maining it for a week or so to develop some aiming skills before retiring it back to the dusty primary weapon slot of my Spy. It's a fun weapon to use, but as you've all mentioned, it isn't a replacement for the knife.

I guess I should probably do some reskins for the knife sometime so I have something to drool over either way.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Rustic Apple » Fri May 27, 2011 10:03 am

1 word, tr_walkway. if you don't already have it/use it, get on it. If you do use it, practice away!
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8909
Rustic Apple
Donator

by Techercizer » Fri May 27, 2011 10:45 am

Rustic Apple wrote:1 word, tr_walkway. if you don't already have it/use it, get on it. If you do use it, practice away!
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8909

But then I can't hang with you guys while I practice!
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by NBC011795 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Sirnak wrote:My personal strategies with the Ambassador consist of countering Snipers and Engies. Razorbacks are annoying. The Ambassador allows you to kill the Razorback Sniper more quickly. One headhot and one bodyshot should suffice to kill him. No Sniper reaction time is enough to turn around and kill you if you manage to land both hits consecutively at the opposite of the revolver which allows some time to the Sniper to defend himself before dying (if it's a good Sniper with a good reaction time). Also, Engies that are too well hidden behind their stuff can be killed easily with the Ambassador. Once he's taken out, you can zap his stuff. Ambassadors also allow you to actually enter headshotting contests with Snipers. I did win some headshotting duels with Snipers. It leaves them madly pissed off, which is even funnier. But you shouldn't duel Snipers with the Ambassador unless it's for the lol. Be sneakier.

I use the game strategy with the Ambassador.
NBC011795
Pink Admin

by Nameless » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Missed this topic when it first came out, but can't pass up an opportunity to link to my own video.

Nameless

by Techercizer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Nameless wrote:Missed this topic when it first came out, but can't pass up an opportunity to link to my own video.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by NBC011795 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Nameless wrote:Missed this topic when it first came out, but can't pass up an opportunity to link to my own video.

Hey, If you want to know what 900 ping is like, you just need to ask me to make a video.
NBC011795
Pink Admin

by Techercizer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:40 pm

NBC011795 wrote:

Hey, If you want to know what 900 ping is like, you just need to ask me to make a video.

I made one about having over 10,000 ping.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by NBC011795 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:17 pm

Techercizer wrote:
NBC011795 wrote:

I made one about having over 10,000 ping.

HAHA! wow. I would think that would be an instant disconnect lol!
NBC011795
Pink Admin

Re:

by Techercizer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:20 pm

NBC011795 wrote:
Techercizer wrote:
NBC011795 wrote:I made one about having over 10,000 ping.

HAHA! wow. I would think that would be an instant disconnect lol!

It was
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

Return to Team Fortress 2