hls and my insanity

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

hls and my insanity

by duck » Sun May 08, 2011 1:06 pm

i suck really at tf2. i lose 25 points everytime i die though. can you cut that in half so i dont rage. the other person will still get 25 but i dont want to lose all of that
duck

Re: hls and my insanity

by JimBob » Sun May 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Nope.
๑ﭥ klanana: it's funny that you always thought i was a guy, named klare
JimBoBob: Fail, oaties!
๑ﭥ klanana: tbh, i always thought you were mean to me before because i was a girl
oaties: lol, really?
๑ﭥ klanana: then i found out you thought i was a guy.
JimBob

by Argent » Sun May 08, 2011 4:10 pm

1) type "y" for the chat window
2) type hlx_display 0 and hit enter

>[I] TAKE THAT, CLOCKS
Argent
Donator
The Fourth Suited Ace

by duck » Sun May 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Argent wrote:1) type "y" for the chat window

i dont want to :(
duck

by Argent » Sun May 08, 2011 6:56 pm

UnicornPoop wrote:
Argent wrote:1) type "y" for the chat window

i dont want to :(

It would stop bothering you.

>[I] TAKE THAT, CLOCKS
Argent
Donator
The Fourth Suited Ace

by Patrid » Sun May 08, 2011 7:08 pm

I had a 1.83 k/d one day (with about 3 hours of gameplay)
I lost over 1100 pts
Shaddup.
Failhorse:Exploits are okay as long are you're an admin
ImageImage
Patrid

by Stunt » Sun May 08, 2011 7:20 pm

If you spent more time playing instead of looking at unusual hats you might die less ;).
Stunt
Donator

by Sirnak » Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Patrid wrote:I had a 1.83 k/d one day (with about 3 hours of gameplay)
I lost over 1100 pts
Shaddup.

Nice exemple. :?

As for me, I had a 3.31 K/D today and still lost 300 pts on 2 rounds in Frontier (about 30-40 minutes).

If Hlstatx is a person, then it's a retard. That's all there is to it.
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by stanley » Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 pm

since the contest ended, ive probably had a 2:1 or 3:1 kdr, and ive lost about 1000 points

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Trauma Advocate » Mon May 09, 2011 7:16 am

Since the contest ended, I stopped paying attention to them altogether, as well as my k:d ratio.
Trauma Advocate
Donator
Spooky

by duck » Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 am

Stunt wrote:If you spent more time playing instead of looking at unusual hats you might die less ;).

lets see. one life i killed 7 people got one domination and still lost 5 points in that life
duck

by Ackybur » Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 pm

It's about the quality of that life, not quantity.- Ackybur (11th in hls)

Edit: Oops wait I'm 10. My bad
Ackybur
Donator

by Sirnak » Mon May 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Admiral Ackybur wrote:It's about the quality of that life, not quantity.- Ackybur (11th in hls)

Edit: Oops wait I'm 10. My bad

Correction: It's not about quality nor quantity, but about luck on who kills you and who you kill. A top 50 member or some random player? You almost always play when mdD, Hard Asses and other top 50 players are around, Acky. So you don't lose many points when you die.

Me, though, I often play when there aren't many Critsandvich players around. I lose an enormous amount of points everytime I die and get almost nothing when I kill a dude. It doesn't mean that newcomers suck. Let us do a short calcul now, shall we? I kill 10 newcomers, each of them having 5000 pts or less, I get 20 pts. One of then kills me, I lose 25 points. I was 14th on Critsandvich before I started playing TF2 at a different time to adapt to my current schedule. Now I'm 33th and still dropping. -.-

I'm not actually complaining about it, but I assure you that the time at which you play has a huge impact on your pts. Trust a past top 15 about it. :lol:
Sirnak
Donator

by Ackybur » Mon May 09, 2011 12:52 pm

That's not true. My play times are sporadic. I just aim to not die
Ackybur
Donator

by Argent » Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm

The HLS system is designed to hone your "Score" onto a certain specific number based on how you rank in the community over an average of how many points have been made globally. As more members enter the community there are more points in the global pool, and the average number of points held by the highest scoring people goes down -BUT THEIR DAMN RANKS STAY THE SAME-. The number of points you get per kill fluctuates over time based on the number of people in the community and how long they've been there, so stop worrying so damn much about. If you really care, stare more at your kills per minute than your points, KDR, or rank, it's a better measure of personal skill than anything else.

HLS is just a fun way to gauge how you're doing, but it shouldn't be frustrating people who don't like how well they're doing. I love the HLS system, but I very strongly believe people should just turn off the display if they don't like it.

>[I] TAKE THAT, CLOCKS
Argent
Donator
The Fourth Suited Ace

by Sirnak » Mon May 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Admiral Ackybur wrote:That's not true. My play times are sporadic. I just aim to not die

Sporadic after school, I guess? I have the most time to play during Critsandvich's many members' school time or work time. That's the thing. :/

Anyway, that's not the point. I never accused you to play during times you were sure to make as many points as possible and certainly never said you had a shitty K:D or anything. Just saying our natural conditions are different, that's all. :(

Also, you are pretty right, Argent. You are a nice Dino. :3
Sirnak
Donator

by Mangachu » Mon May 09, 2011 2:31 pm

POINTS AND RANKKKK
POINTS AND RANKK
I'm Mister Cevo (aka div5 shitnerd)
Bitch
Mangachu

by Mike808 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm

i gave up cause no matter what i do i just drop rank. play for the objective and die less is easy points. you get 5 for caps and you get points for kill streaks too.
best way to hold rank if you really care is to pull a bjordan and be completely useless to your team but just point whore!
When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by tehs4ndman » Mon May 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Patrid wrote:I had a 1.83 k/d one day (with about 3 hours of gameplay)
I lost over 1100 pts
Shaddup.

i lost 3000 points in a day, without even sucking lol but as long as there is no contest, i dont care

youtube channel with tf2 vids xD subscribe!! http://www.youtube.com/user/tehs4ndman

trade me!!! http://www.tf2items.com/id/tehs4ndman
tehs4ndman

by Stunt » Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 pm

UnicornPoop wrote:
Stunt wrote:If you spent more time playing instead of looking at unusual hats you might die less ;).

lets see. one life i killed 7 people got one domination and still lost 5 points in that life

I was kidding! Promise!
Stunt
Donator

by GoDM1N » Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 am

I'm on the side of who cares, you don't win the internets or the critsandvich if you're ranked high, plus just about everyone is losing points anyway, the only people not losing points (as fast) are the people who don't play all day like a lot of people do. Though I don't really care I can see however why we should reset the stats if anything, we're using a new set of rules, so why count previous points in the 1st place?
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by VoltySquirrel » Wed May 11, 2011 6:29 pm

I think the TF2 commentary node put it best. I'm going to paraphrase, but essentially it said that leaderboards and K/D ratios only really affect people near the top. You really shouldn't worry about HLS, because it literally means nothing.
VoltySquirrel

by Hatred » Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 am

i just want to say ... for me its not about the points or the k/d or anything like that .... well inna way it is ....

sometimes im good sometimes i suck when i suck i should lose points obviously but when i have 61 kills to 12 deaths plus destruction and all those other things i just about break even .... i was ranked 8 until the contest ended now im 13 ...

its not so much that i care about the points as it is i dont ike joining kicking ass then having this hlstats make me feel like a chode for owning...

i use the stat system just to see how im doing in a day yes i look at k/d and such but i still feel like i suck ... is good that new members are feeling better about it but FFS ...

PS. acky your welcome for the +1 rank position ... lol
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by HibiscusKazeneko » Sat May 14, 2011 2:11 am

Am I the only one offended by the text in this thread?
Seriously, the only reason I stay here is because of my HLStatsX points. Which have been SYSTEMATICALLY DROPPING since the contest ended.
I thought the variables were set to protect players from losing too many points when killed; apparently that has been revoked. IMHO, it's a device invented to keep top players on top and prevent anyone beneath them from climbing past a certain point before they lose everything and have to start all over, which I have apparently hit. So you people claiming it's my fault for being a sucky player and losing all my points is beyond offensive. I've lost MASSIVE amounts of points to players with HIGHER stats than me. If I could find you, I'd wring all your necks right now. You are no better than the Ku Klux Klan. :evil:
HibiscusKazeneko

by GoDM1N » Sat May 14, 2011 6:52 am

HibiscusKazeneko wrote:Am I the only one offended by the text in this thread?
Yep

Seriously, the only reason I stay here is because of my HLStatsX points.
Damn, Critsnadvich must suck then :(

Which have been SYSTEMATICALLY DROPPING since the contest ended.
Everyone has been losing points except the people who don't play. The only difference now is people aren't going to have 100,000 scores (or in our case 20,000ish) and its going to level off at some point to represent the players skill level

I thought the variables were set to protect players from losing too many points when killed; apparently that has been revoked. IMHO, it's a device invented to keep top players on top and prevent anyone beneath them from climbing past a certain point before they lose everything and have to start all over, which I have apparently hit.
But its not keeping top players on top, everyone is losing points. The only people going up in rank atm are the people who aren't playing, which is why we need to reset the points if anything.

So you people claiming it's my fault for being a sucky player and losing all my points is beyond offensive.
Whos saying you're a sucky player?

I've lost MASSIVE amounts of points to players with HIGHER stats than me. If I could find you, I'd wring all your necks right now. You are no better than the Ku Klux Klan. :evil:
Really you're getting offended over random comments on the internet to the point you actually want to cause harm to them and are comparing them to the KKK for no reason? Wow, just wow.
GoDM1N
Donator

by HibiscusKazeneko » Sat May 14, 2011 7:46 am

GoDM1N wrote:
HibiscusKazeneko wrote:I've lost MASSIVE amounts of points to players with HIGHER stats than me. If I could find you, I'd wring all your necks right now. You are no better than the Ku Klux Klan. :evil:
Really you're getting offended over random comments on the internet to the point you actually want to cause harm to them and are comparing them to the KKK for no reason? Wow, just wow.

I've suffered some hideous abuse from people in online communities in the past. I've grown to become defensive against anything that remotely resembles an attempt to harm or disenfranchise me or anyone else. This systematic point loss struck a raw nerve as I've been permabanned from 2 communities so far just because those in charge didn't like me. My gut instincts told me "They're doing this to get back at me!" and I got defensive. I'm not being senselessly butthurt here; if you've been through what I've been through, you'd react this way too, I can guarantee it.
HibiscusKazeneko

by stanley » Sat May 14, 2011 10:32 am

HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
GoDM1N wrote:
HibiscusKazeneko wrote:I've lost MASSIVE amounts of points to players with HIGHER stats than me. If I could find you, I'd wring all your necks right now. You are no better than the Ku Klux Klan. :evil:

I've suffered some hideous abuse from people in online communities in the past. I've grown to become defensive against anything that remotely resembles an attempt to harm or disenfranchise me or anyone else. This systematic point loss struck a raw nerve as I've been permabanned from 2 communities so far just because those in charge didn't like me. My gut instincts told me "They're doing this to get back at me!" and I got defensive. I'm not being senselessly butthurt here; if you've been through what I've been through, you'd react this way too, I can guarantee it.

nobody is "abusing" you, and if anyone offended you im sure they didnt mean to and are sorry. But comparing a small community online to the kkk is just wrong...

stanley

by stanley » Sat May 14, 2011 10:54 am

GoDM1N wrote: Though I don't really care I can see however why we should reset the stats if anything, we're using a new set of rules, so why count previous points in the 1st place?

i think resetting stats is actually a good idea at this point

stanley

by Ackybur » Sat May 14, 2011 11:37 am

HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
GoDM1N wrote:

Get over it.

Resetting stats is dumb. It is based off skill. If you were good at killing fh, patrid, toaster, sandman, z and I then we'd be a lot lower because of that 25 point loss and your 25 point gain. When we kill you we sure love our 2 points increase. We are all losing points. Right now it's a matter of who loses more and gives it to you. If you want to be higher rank then start working on your kills of the over average players.
Ackybur
Donator

by Ackybur » Sat May 14, 2011 11:41 am

That reply wasn't to you godmin btw. I think you're already in top 10.

Besides, to add to not resetting stats. It's nice seeing how far this community has come a long. 93k is our top and that's fantastic IMO. I've been here since tfgn and so I love seeing those points similar to rings in a tree trunk.
Ackybur
Donator

by Sirnak » Sat May 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Admiral Ackybur wrote:That reply wasn't to you godmin btw. I think you're already in top 10.

Besides, to add to not resetting stats. It's nice seeing how far this community has come a long. 93k is our top and that's fantastic IMO. I've been here since tfgn and so I love seeing those points similar to rings in a tree trunk.

As strange as it seems, I'd actually prefer if stats wouldn't reset. I just want to see Zclipse reach 100k. :lol:

But, to encourage people, I do believe it'd be better if the stats were reset. New members (or less skilled members) wouldn't then feel so depressive while looking at the top ranks (and they wouldn't be angry anymore to lose 20 points each time they die). Also, they could feel a boost of energy seeing how close they'd be to the past top 50 and try to prove their skills with this reset, which would give a general rise of competitive spirit inside the community at my opinion.

A reset would also be necessary so that everybody would need to prove their skills all over again to earn their rank. Afterall, there certainly are some top 50 that don't deserve their rank anymore and, with a reset, hlstats would have a more accurate information on players' skill levels to the pleasure of everybody, especially less ranked players and newcomers that don't desire to kill for hundred of hours to reach 93K and ultimately prove themselves.

For these reasons, I believe the reset is necessary. I'm sorry Acky, but the arguement "I love seeing those points similar to rings in a tree trunk" is not enough of a reason to keep the actual stats. I'd be happier if they wouldn't reset, but I do believe the community would profit from a reset. Trust me, I don't like losing my hundreds of hours of play on Critsandvich. lol
Sirnak
Donator

by Mike808 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Dont reset stats (redmins probably wont anyways)
reseting stats wont make it easier for new comers. it will only make it harder because the top guys now will have less points. this means that if a new guy kills sandman he will be rewarded with a whopping 2 points, but without a reset new comer will earn 25.
and top 50 is made up of people who should be in top 50, i don't see anyone who doesn't deserve a spot there.
also you guys are forgetting to factor in play time. people with low hours and high points are the beasts (cough z). people with high hours and high points just play a lot (patrid).

stats are stats, not important (unless hats are involved). I only check stats to see my rewards and who i embarrassed with my uber saw
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by GoDM1N » Sat May 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Admiral Ackybur wrote:That reply wasn't to you godmin btw. I think you're already in top 10.

didn't think it was. And I was 13th last I looked

Anyway I don't see why resetting them is such a big deal. People wont have much of a problem getting back to where they were and if they do then maybe they don't deserve to be there. Most people in the top places don't even care about the stats anyway, myself included. With the new rules a reset makes since, new rules, new start. I wouldn't mind seeing them reset every month myself :P

Mike808 wrote:Dont reset stats (redmins probably wont anyways)
reseting stats wont make it easier for new comers. it will only make it harder because the top guys now will have less points. this means that if a new guy kills sandman he will be rewarded with a whopping 2 points, but without a reset new comer will earn 25.
and top 50 is made up of people who should be in top 50, i don't see anyone who doesn't deserve a spot there.
also you guys are forgetting to factor in play time. people with low hours and high points are the beasts (cough z). people with high hours and high points just play a lot (patrid).

stats are stats, not important (unless hats are involved). I only check stats to see my rewards and who i embarrassed with my uber saw

So the reason points shouldn't be reset is because theres a few players that would most likely reach 3+k the 1st day, thus rendering the whole "I only get 2 points for killing so and so" argument moot. This problem wouldn't exist for more than a few days if that.
GoDM1N
Donator

by Sirnak » Sat May 14, 2011 4:39 pm

GoDM1N wrote:
Mike808 wrote:Dont reset stats (redmins probably wont anyways)

So the reason points shouldn't be reset is because theres a few players that would most likely reach 3+k the 1st day, thus rendering the whole "I only get 2 points for killing so and so" argument moot. This problem wouldn't exist for more than a few days if that.

Godmin, I couldn't have said better than you.

May I add that you look simply handsome with your new hat, dear?
Sirnak
Donator

by GoDM1N » Sat May 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Sirnak wrote:May I add that you look simply handsome with your new hat, dear?

Wut new hat :(
GoDM1N
Donator

by Sirnak » Sat May 14, 2011 4:57 pm

GoDM1N wrote:

In my country, we call what I tried to communicate you "a tentative of humor". Now, there are "successful" tentatives and "failed" ones. Mine was a "failed" one since my comment seemed to confuse you, which probably means that my message didn't put nor a smile nor a grin on your face but probably a "wut?" expression for not understanding the joke I tried to share with you. Worse, it is quite likely you didn't understand that I was even trying to put some humor in my comment.

In other words, forget it. :?
Sirnak
Donator

by GoDM1N » Sat May 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Sirnak wrote:
GoDM1N wrote:

In my country, we call what I tried to communicate you "a tentative of humor". Now, there are "successful" tentatives and "failed" ones. Mine was a "failed" one since my comment seemed to confuse you, which probably means that my message didn't put nor a smile nor a grin on your face but probably a "wut?" expression for not understanding the joke I tried to share with you. Worse, it is quite likely you didn't understand that I was even trying to put some humor in my comment.

In other words, forget it. :?

Lolwut?
GoDM1N
Donator

by Ackybur » Sat May 14, 2011 8:02 pm

How does resetting help people? You do understand that if I kill you, I get 2 points. If you kill me you get 25...How is it fair to reset it all and I start getting 20 points a kill off you?
Ackybur
Donator

by stanley » Sat May 14, 2011 8:39 pm

Admiral Ackybur wrote:How does resetting help people? You do understand that if I kill you, I get 2 points. If you kill me you get 25...How is it fair to reset it all and I start getting 20 points a kill off you?

because within a month if you are actively playing things will go back to the way they were anyway
i actually think resetting stats would be good...i think the community would be more competitive, and it would temporarily stop people from raging because they have a 3:1 kd and are still losing hls points

stanley

by Ackybur » Sat May 14, 2011 9:17 pm

I lost 200 points from just playing. I went up a spot. Seeing points lost is not the problem, dying a lot is. Stop dying and you stop losing points :3
Ackybur
Donator

by Mike808 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:48 pm

stanley the manley wrote:i think the community would be more competitive

nope then more people will cry. theres plenty of people crying about "try hards" already.

i do agree that reseting the stats will do nothing. in 1 or 2 months it will be exactly the same as it is now
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by GoDM1N » Sat May 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Shit we reset the stats about every month anyway with the contest. People will get where they should be, people don't like the fact that they're losing points faster simply by playing than the people who hardly play at all. Whats there to lose by resetting stats? I say fuck it reset it and everyone will win in the end. People who are in the top places will get back there no problem, and people who don't like the fact that they're losing points simply by playing (which has nothing to do with their skill, its just the new rules in the HLstats) will be able to work back up with everyone else instead of falling down 20 times faster than the people who are in the top places but only play 5mins a week.

As I said originally I really don't care about the HLstats, I hardly pay attention to them, nor do I care (If you couldn't alrdy tell by my play style, ubering engies and spys ect) but I'm just trying to look at this objectively so we can FIX the problem as soon as possible. From where I'm sitting I see no reason NOT to reset the stats, and resetting them would fix everyones problem.
GoDM1N
Donator

by Hatred » Sun May 15, 2011 7:34 am

Mike808 wrote:
stanley the manley wrote:i think the community would be more competitive

nope then more people will cry. theres plenty of people crying about "try hards" already.

i do agree that reseting the stats will do nothing. in 1 or 2 months it will be exactly the same as it is now

agreed mike and godmin .... i dont realy care about the points past owning and feeling like a chode cause hlstats says im doing bad .... that being said RESET THEM .... take everyones points
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

Return to Team Fortress 2