Stories from work

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Stories from work

by Hooked » Fri May 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Earlier on the server I brought up the fact that I work as a video editor. I mostly work on commercials for local businesses, such as car commercials, as well as some longer-form commercial stuff. For trade shows and the like. Anyways, it made me want to share a few stories involving a couple of the people I work with.

Being a small-ish city, most of our advertising agencies don't have in-house video production studios. As a result a lot of video work is contracted out to us. So we end up not only dealing with the end client but people from the agency as well.

One of the agency heads is this old, misogynistic asshole that is stuck in the 80s. He think he's a mad-men style advertising genius, but in reality he still thinks jingles are cool. (They're not, sorry) He likes to yell at people for making mistakes but hardly ever takes responsibility for his own actions, which more often than not are the root cause of most of the problems. He once asked me if I was on drugs because I made a single spelling mistake.

My favorite story involving this guy is this one day he came in for a video shoot - we have our own small green-screen studio. But he makes it a point to walk into my editing suite and tell me "You know, I have a doll that looks just like you..." Confused more than anything, I just say I don't know what he's talking about. But apparently I had cut him off because he continues on with "And every evening I stab it with needles." Luckily our office manager came in to ask me a question and he walks off so I don't have to give him any sort of reply. But man. Who says that kind of thing?

---------------------------------------------------------

A different advertising guy likes to email me with as little detail as possible, making me decipher what he's saying a lot of the time. Once he emailed me with the subject of "Lasagna", attached with a photo of lasagna, and a message consisting of only "Please call me about this."

We work with a lot of local car dealers, and they are just as eccentric and out of touch as you would expect. Many of them think they're celebrities just because they're on television and expect people to recognize them when they're out and about. We have one that likes to put on his dead dad's military outfit and walk around the house in it. To get in touch with his spirit or something. Another likes to spy on her employees from a fast food restaurant across the street. One that complains about his then wife getting rid of tens of thousands of dollars worth of marble and wood trim in their multi-million dollar house because she just didn't like the color.

Pretty much everyone I work with is a walking stereotype gone too far. I should be writing all these down and start a YouTube series when I finally get out of here. Wouldn't need to create much content.

You guys have any fun work stories to tell?
Hooked

Re: Stories from work

by 1#Scrub » Fri May 06, 2016 8:39 pm

My favorite story involving this guy is this one day he came in for a video shoot - we have our own small green-screen studio. But he makes it a point to walk into my editing suite and tell me "You know, I have a doll that looks just like you..." Confused more than anything, I just say I don't know what he's talking about. But apparently I had cut him off because he continues on with "And every evening I stab it with needles." Luckily our office manager came in to ask me a question and he walks off so I don't have to give him any sort of reply. But man. Who says that kind of thing?

Like what the fuck is that guy getting at. Im really confuddled.
1#Scrub
Donator

by Hooked » Fri May 06, 2016 9:29 pm

I think he he was implying he had a voodoo doll of me and was trying to inflict harm upon me.
Hooked

by 1#Scrub » Fri May 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Hooked wrote:I think he he was implying he had a voodoo doll of me and was trying to inflict harm upon me.

What the fuck ;_; But I gotta ask, what you do that pissed the guy off?
1#Scrub
Donator

by Hooked » Fri May 06, 2016 9:40 pm

I work for my dad and some of these guys just have problems with me editing their stuff. They think they deserve my dad's 25 years of expertise instead of some young guy that just started, although I've been doing this for 5-6 years now. Also this guy gets upset over very minor things. We work at such a fast pace that we sometimes slip up and rely on the clients to catch stuff, which we of course fix. It's not uncommon to edit four commercials before lunch. But this guy wants everything perfect the first time we send it to him.
Hooked

by that shiny mudkip » Fri May 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Hooked wrote:
A different advertising guy likes to email me with as little detail as possible, making me decipher what he's saying a lot of the time. Once he emailed me with the subject of "Lasagna", attached with a photo of lasagna, and a message consisting of only "Please call me about this."

fav
that shiny mudkip
Blue Admin

by 1#Scrub » Fri May 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Hooked wrote:I work for my dad and some of these guys just have problems with me editing their stuff. They think they deserve my dad's 25 years of expertise instead of some young guy that just started, although I've been doing this for 5-6 years now. Also this guy gets upset over very minor things. We work at such a fast pace that we sometimes slip up and rely on the clients to catch stuff, which we of course fix. It's not uncommon to edit four commercials before lunch. But this guy wants everything perfect the first time we send it to him.

Oh well if thats the case then its perfectly reasonable for this guy to make a voodoo doll/s
1#Scrub
Donator

by Balubish » Sat May 07, 2016 8:46 am

lol yeah working with customers can be so frustrating sometimes man. Awesomes stories.
The lasagna guy, those ppl are fucking everywhere and then they yell at you cause you dont understand them haha.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by flufffage » Sat May 07, 2016 8:49 am

that shiny mudkip wrote:
Hooked wrote:

fav
#opinions
pinkmins more like saltmins amirite
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

by Lia_Rein » Mon May 09, 2016 7:38 am

Haha those are too good. I don' have any funny work stories because the one place I worked at (aside from my dad's office) was just racist and depressing lol I do have some similarly crazy stories about teachers from school or uni professors but I think crazy is more common in the teaching profession :P

(ps how did you start the call about lasagna?)
Neff:Lia slowly building her CSnplayer database for nefarious purposes
Lia_Rein
Blue Admin
Not Liable for Rein damage

by Hooked » Mon May 09, 2016 8:15 am

Haha, teachers can be fun. I went to school for photography so needless to say a couple of mine were rather interesting as well.

I don't really remember how I called him. I probably just said something along the lines of "Hey, I'm calling about this email." It's best just to let him talk. I don't know what to ask him half the time anyways.
Hooked

by megamoose » Mon May 09, 2016 9:51 pm

OH BOY, MY TIME TO SHINE!!!!
I'll preface this by telling you guys that I told some of the old lovenest people about the story (maybe even regulars in the mumble)

So, I work as a cashier for Wegmans in the state of Pennsylvania. I often work as a Cafe Cashier (cafe side of the store [only allowed to purchase food items from the bars or ready-to-go meals there, along with pizza / subs]). The Cafe side also has beer in it, like a mini-store full of beer. By law / Wegmans rules, we have to card EVERYBODY and their partners if somebody in the party is buying beer no matter what. If they don't have a USA / Foreign Passport, Military ID, US Drivers / Photo ID (both parties) then no beer for them. However, if we can visibly see its the parties' kids who are under 21, then we allow it of course.

So, it's around 3 pm on a Saturday (maybe?) and a middle-aged man and middle-aged women come up to my register with beer and flowers. I politely tell them, "I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to ring up your flowers over here, this is the Cafe side". The man instantly says "I'm in a rush, can you please just ring these up for me?". Me, somebody who follows the rules a lot, says back "I'm sorry, but these registers are only for beer and cafe food". The man, raising his tone, says again "So there is NO way possible of you ringing these up" and I immediately say back "no, sorry" [that was a lie, but I follow rules]. He then says that he doesn't want the flowers anymore, and I lay them to the side.

At this point, I see the beer and ask the man for his ID. His partner was walking away at a fast rate, so I quickly raised my voice so she could hear me, and I said "I need to see your ID too". She says she is pregnant, and I could see that. For the man's ID he shows me a cop badge. Yea, a COP badge. I say to him that I need one of the 5 ID's for him and the partner to check out the beer. The woman comes over and says she doesn't have ID on her, so I say that I can't let them check out with the beer.

At this point, I see the man is visibly angry with me, and the woman is frazzled. She says "Why do I even need ID, I'm not drinking the beer, my boyfriend is". I say to them that I can't let them check out with valid ID's based on what we can accept and they start to yell at me and call me names, mostly "Cunt, Fucker". I ask if they want me to call a manager, and they yell at me again, asking why I didn't do so already.

I call the manager, tell them they don't have any valid ID and no DOB, and the manager says "just let it through". At this point, I'm visibly angry, because usually, a manager comes down and tells them they can't buy the beer without the needed ID's, but this time he lets it through. Also, it was the new manager's 2ND DAY OF WORK HERE, so he wants to be on good terms with every higher-up.

At this point, I just type in a random DOB and let the man buy the beer. The transaction is done and before he leaves my lane, he calls me "a motherfucking cunt". This visibly irritated me, so I didn't say "have a good day" (my way of getting back).

After he leaves my register, ( I didn't even know at the time) walks to customer service to tell them about how I was the worst cashier they have ever have and how I should be fired.

The new manager comes down and says I irritated the couple because I just would not let the beer or flowers through, and I say that I'm following Wegmans rules and shit. He also says "be a little more polite, they said it looked like you wanted to kill them"
HOW COULD I BE POLITE AFTER THEY FUCKING CALL ME NAMES AND SHIT, I WANTED TO RIP THEIR FUCKING HEADS OFF AFTER THAT. NOBODY FUCKING CALLS ME A FUCKER OR CUNT AND GETS AWAY WITH IT, NOT EVEN A COP.

Fucking man never comes back to the store god damn, so fucking glad. Like seriously, who complains about them not following a single god damn rule.
Fucking beer sucks, however, it is where I see my best coworkers, so I continue to work down there to this day. But Beer transactions suck, people dont fucking follow rules, yell at me cause their incompetent, then I get punished usually.
megamoose
Donator

by Balubish » Tue May 10, 2016 3:27 am

Isnt stressed ppl fun Moose ;) Welcome to the big boi world :)

Have have several stories that i have collected over the years. Not sure wich one I should start with and I actually dont have that many on myself but many on working colleges.

So this guy working in the workshop fixing customers cars and machines with aircondition. He worked in the workshop for 5 years each summer and this was my first year and his 5th year.
So he got a job fixing a big wheel loader at a big company outside of town and in this work all AC guys talk to eachother basicly, back to the story.

So he went out to the customer to fix the aircondtion on this machine and find out what was wrong with it.
Btw this guy is the most clumpsy kinda stupid person I ever met and somehow he still was here for his 5th year.
So he came out and couldnt figure out how the hell he would reach the aircondtion part in the engine room. It was covered with half inch steel around the engine.
I would guess he scratched his head and the ass at the same time not figuring out how to solve it and did the most "last resort thinking" and connected the anglegrinder and started cutting up the whole thing.
And keep in mind this was thick fucking steel aswell to cut open a hole to even reach the parts.

For some reason an old buddy of mine that also are in this area of work went out for another work at the same company to do another job. So he reconignized this guy from my work and went over there
to check on how it was going and say hi basicly. And when he came forward he saw what he was doing, chopping down this pretty new machine with a anglegrinder and asked wtf are you doing man?!!!

Eeeh I cant reach to components and my old buddy didnt say a word and just went forward removed 2 rubber holders and slided out the whole aircondition on a plate with wheels on it.
This was a Volvo and they have always been smart doing stuff for workers to make it easier to fix. So you just disconnect to rubber holders that hold the door and just slide out the whole aircondtion to reach it
easy if it needs work on or repair. #Facepalm
The guy was shocked on what he did and when he found out how fucking easy it was he didnt know what to do really, he basicly chopped up a faily new machine in to bits.

Let that be life lesson to you guys, idiots are everywhere.
Also I have several stories with this guy fucking shit up.

Also moose you will learn how to read the situation over time, I talk to atleast few of those angry fucking customers each year that dont follow rules.
Only thing is try to keep smiling at their faces and try get rid of them as fast as possible. Ppl like that dont respect other ppl and think they are more important than other customers.
I call these ppl retards and ignorant assholes. Sometimes I get yelled at cause the post office havent send their shit in time, like I could do something about it.
My answer is mostly, though break mofo, I dont work at the post office, talk to them. Shit happens.

This is normal working in the service area no matter what kind of job you have. People will always have some stupid fucks no matter where you go or area you work at.
Only way to escape it as having a job that you dont have contact with ppl, which I dont think are many :) Or I mean the customer itself.

Balubish
Donator

by L0wsound » Tue May 10, 2016 8:01 am

megamoose wrote:OH BOY, MY TIME TO SHINE!!!!

I'd have just made up some bullshit about how that register can't scan in the flowers and you can't sell beer without a date of birth or it's your job. I've seen waitresses give that line (if they sell aclohol without seeing ID they lose their job, no one (usually) wants to cause someone else to lose their job).

Balubish wrote:I would guess he scratched his head and the ass at the same time not figuring out how to solve it and did the most "last resort thinking" and connected the anglegrinder and started cutting up the whole thing.

Oh my fuck. You weren't kidding. Did he do much damage?
Last edited by L0wsound on Tue May 10, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
L0wsound

by Balubish » Tue May 10, 2016 8:32 am

L0wsound wrote:
megamoose wrote:OH BOY, MY TIME TO SHINE!!!!

I'd have just made up some bullshit about how that register can't scan in the flowers at that register and you can't sell beer without a date of birth or it's your job. I've seen waitresses give that line (if they sell aclohol without seeing ID they lose their job, no one (usually) wants to cause someone else to lose their job).

Balubish wrote:I would guess he scratched his head and the ass at the same time not figuring out how to solve it and did the most "last resort thinking" and connected the anglegrinder and started cutting up the whole thing.

Oh my fuck. You weren't kidding. Did he do much damage?

Yes, he cut up a machine that were less than a year old, worth alot of money, I dont remember exactly how it went after that I laughed so hard when I heard it so couldnt concentrate.
That guy is the mother of all fuckups if that kinda explains this dude a bit more. I got more stories about the same guy.

For example. Another one.
One day he wanted to make his girlfriend happy by cleaning the apartment really well, living on the third floor. So cleaning can get you warm so he opened the window to get some fresh air when cleaning.
After a while his girlfriends cat fell from the window probably chasing a bird or he tossed the cat out, no one really knows at this point. Cat kinda survived. Broke all four legs.
So as most would do after an accident you take it fast as fuck to the vet right. He did too. Problem was they gave the cat seditive or sleepy thing and started operating on the cat to try save it.
It died from its injuries while under medical drugs that btw cost around 700bucks. + vet fee and so on. So he basicly had to pay 1000bucks for a dead cat lol.

And now to the fucked up part...
The vet asked if they wanted them to take care of the corpse basicly and he said, nah im taking it home cause I think my girlfriend wants to bury the cat "he kinda killed by opening the window at 3rd floor wide open".

So he took the dead cat for $1000 bucks back home, and his girlfriend was at work and he was scared that the cat would start to smell, cause, dead body so he tossed the sucker in the freezer to chill it.
His girl came home later on the night and he explained what happened and she opened the freezer. Well I dont have to say much more after that, it did end not so long after that.

I also got a side story after that, what happened next...
Cooming next in Balus coworkers storyline.

Balubish
Donator

by L0wsound » Tue May 10, 2016 8:38 am

Balubish wrote:So he basicly had to pay 1000bucks for a dead cat lol.

Oh my... at least he tried to save it..
L0wsound

by flufffage » Tue May 10, 2016 10:13 am

a female hippie organic-farmer, a nearly-elderly architectural biographer and a 17 year old trumpfan dudebro walk into a sweater shop and each ask out the shopgirl.
its been an eventful 2016.
#opinions
pinkmins more like saltmins amirite
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

by L0wsound » Tue May 10, 2016 10:35 am

flufffage wrote:a female hippie organic-farmer, a nearly-elderly architectural biographer and a 17 year old trumpfan dudebro walk into a sweater shop and each ask out the shopgirl.
its been an eventful 2016.

So who did you say yes too?? :mrgreen:
L0wsound

by Lia_Rein » Tue May 10, 2016 12:42 pm

I had this (clinically) insane french/Spanish teacher in secondary school. [I have several stories about this one teacher lol]

Another girl and I were sick at around the same time and missed a couple of lessons so the teacher organized a lunch time session to recap what we had missed. She told me the other girl, Laura, wanted to have the catchup session on her own and was trying to organise another session with me but I saw Laura outside school and she came over to me and was like 'Will you please go to the recap session with me? I'm too scared to go by myself.' And I was like 'uh she told me you wanted to do it by yourself?' which Laura denied and got kinda weirded out over lol So I just showed up at the the same time/room as Laura and our teacher was like 'I thought you were coming separately?' So I just said I couldn't make my session and Laura was ok with me joining hers. Our teacher just responded 'If you'd come on your own you probably would've thought I was going to kill you or something.' And we hadn't really til she said that lol

(other such stories include her screaming because she thought she saw a bull outside our classroom window, which was on the third floor of a building, quoting the bible on some thing about hell when a girl forgot her textbook, telling another girl her mother might die bringing her books into school, putting her head in a bin and screaming, screaming and throwing dusters, occasionally screaming for attention, asking me had I ever heard the expression "The chicken scratches the hay" and never explaining it when I said no [my friends looked into it and found nothing lol], saying "wouldn't you hate to live next to a black person?" randomly in class and saying she's gonna divorce her husband once her children go to uni.)
Lia_Rein
Blue Admin

by Hooked » Tue May 10, 2016 2:20 pm

So glad I don't work in retail or customer service so I don't have to deal with that kind of bullshit.

And good god, not even my middle school art teacher was that insane Lia. And she would "touch up" students' art.
Hooked

by Lia_Rein » Tue May 10, 2016 3:07 pm

Hooked wrote:So glad I don't work in retail or customer service so I don't have to deal with that kind of bullshit.

And good god, not even my middle school art teacher was that insane Lia. And she would "touch up" students' art.

Lol an A-lv art teacher (final 2 years of school) ripped up a girl's piece of work from my year without permission or warning and told her to make a collage out of it. The girl had spend hours and houuurs on it and was really upset :/
Lia_Rein
Blue Admin

by 1#Scrub » Tue May 10, 2016 3:46 pm

Lia_Rein wrote:occasionally screaming for attention

Huh, me and her have a lot in common.
1#Scrub
Donator

by Balubish » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:46 am

So customers can be a bit of a wiseass sometimes or even scream at you.
Having the job i have both us and our customers have alot to do in the summer and everyone is stressed out, shit happens when its stressul, anyone can make mistakes.

So before a customer called in and said that the item they bought looks just like the picture on the item on the homepage and says the right number on the box it comes in but its wrong item in the box.

So I asked for his license number and it shows another item that looks as the old item that he describes and he checked and oh, ok, eh, I must have ordered the wrong item.
He wasnt that angry mostly frustrated that he got the wrong item and calmed down pretty quick when I showed him that he had ordered the wrong item.

So this is how a brain works in stressful times, it doesnt work, thats just it :) He would with the info he had conclude that everything we did were right.
Item looked exactly how it should compared to the item number and the item picture on our webpage and still claims that the item in the box is wrong.
Im not mad about it im used it it but it happens.

Sometimes though in stressful times some customers are complete assholes and if something have gotten wrong with say shipping, wrong items shipped or similar they can flip the fuck out. Kinda like Moose's story.

Last year for example one dude called and was so fucking mad in the phone no matter what I said he cut me off all the fucking time. And we have a specific way we deal with problems.
Here is the flaw in some companies and how they shouldnt run their companies when they have the end customers stuff. Its all about pre-planning.
We for example follow different policies when shit happens. For example if something get lost in shipping or whatever we send a new part and a new invoice. Nothing special about that.
Reason why is it is probably late or the post office or whatever can have fucked up the shipping time.
It doesnt matter though cause some of them are so wired up and yell at us for other ppls problems. Excuses like we have the customers vehicle booked today and so on.

If you plan ahead you have the parts before the customer comes in to your workshop and "if" shit happens, get the wrong part, shipping fucks up and so on you still have time to solve it.
The company I work for have a nice customer service and we ship the same day and most of the times the customer have their item the next day almost in the whole country.

Problem with that is that our customers have gotten used to that service and book their customer in the day after and are sure they are having the item the next day.
But sometimes it fails, and all hell breaks lose cause of their shitty planning. So try to demand sending some cheap shitty item for around 100 bucks with plane across the country for that reason.
And they actually think they have that right to claim that lol and that my good folks is how stressed stupid ppl work.

Example, the guy last year that pissed me off he demanded to talk to my boss when i claimed we cant ship something on a plane because you got the wrong item when frieght will be several 1000bucks for an item alot less worth it makes no sense. And he just kept going i demand to talk to your boss, fine i said "thinking Its just a fucking vehicle, not a life we are trying to save."
I know what my boss s gonna say, the exact same thing but these stupid customers sometime are so mad you cant even reason with them.
Its like stress on some ppl and bad planning result in total temporary retardsness and no logic is found.

After that customer I had some much adrenaline and if that customer would have been in the same city i would have gone from work and fucking go over to his work and punch him in the face.

Anyway, thats one of my little stories how stress and stupid planning can go. Enjoy :)

Balubish
Donator

Return to Spam Fest