4K Monitor, what would you need to run games with it...

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

4K Monitor, what would you need to run games with it...

by Balubish » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Technology have always been my passion. And 4K is getting closer to a normal price range. So today I did a test to see what my graphics card can handle, and if it can handle games in 4K. So I did a summary video with some games and benchmarks.

My graphics card is an AMD R9 280X with 3GB VRAM. But had no 4K monitor, well I used Hydravison and split my LED Screen with my plasma @ 3840x1080p Basicly 4K wide but not the same height on the picture.

I was reading comments on another YouTube clip about mem usage so I checked that out too. And checked it on one of the most horsepower GPU hungry games there is, Crysis 3.
So at 1920x1080p VRAM usage was jumping around at 2134MB and at 3840x1080p right above 2700MB. So it seems that u need atleast 3GB VRAM to even be able to run 4K? Is that the way? Or can you lower mem usage by lowering graphics settings?
I forgot to do that really were only testing on max graphics in 4K so. But I remember next couple of days do to do the tests with lower graphics I will fill that info in here.

Also here is are a pic I took while testing Crysis and this is with no AA. Smoke and trees look kinda real. 8-)

Or for for full size :arrow: http://www.ladda-upp.se/image.php?id=98170&size=full
Well hope it was some sort of educational. Best regards Balubish

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

Re: 4K Monitor, what would you need to run games with it...

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am

This is wild. You had said last night in the Slaybox you were running TF2 in '4K mode'. How was that, did you notice any differences?
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Balubish » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 am

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:This is wild. You had said last night in the Slaybox you were running TF2 in '4K mode'. How was that, did you notice any differences?

The biggest difference that i saw were HUD size. You can fastforward the video at 2:30min to see how TF2 looks, but not as flat as this test was in 4K. :) I dont have a 4K monitor but my desktop screen 1920x1080p and the same on my Plasma that are behind my PC and and added the Plasma and got a really wide screen. So It was a bit flatter than 4K, same width but not vertical 3840x1080p (Complete 4K 3840x2160p) in TF2 so check it in the video :) It still felt the same really. Had an average about 150fps and at 1920x1080p I have around 150-300fps. 300fps i the roof of TF2, cant get higher than that.
So 4K in TF2 will work perfectly and look really nice, well as nice as TF2 gets :)

Balubish
Donator

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Yeah I took a look at the vid which was really cool, just curious if your FOV was altered at all as a result of all the pretty pixels :) There's just so much landscape on display it's insane.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Balubish » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:Yeah I took a look at the vid which was really cool, just curious if your FOV was altered at all as a result of all the pretty pixels :) There's just so much landscape on display it's insane.

:) Nope I did not change FOV just added a screen to got pressed record everytime and got a video with that pixel count.
Also u get that wide look cause I only have 1080p and not 2160p vertikal. See those black strips above and below the video, the will fill out the screen if I had 2160p :/ This is the best I can do with 2pcs 1920x1080p screens :(
Now when I think about it might just be called 3K really. But hopefully those 1080p extra on Vertical wont put down performance too much, otherwise new GPU or a add one the day I buy a 4K monitor.

Found this video btw to show how I did it.

Balubish
Donator

Return to Spam Fest