Rejection to College

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Rejection to College

by megamoose » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi guys. I'm like terribly bummed out, I didn't get into my first two choices for college, Penn State Main Campus (Amazing Business school), and UPitt (Good all-around school). How do I cope with this feeling of rejection? I'm terribly bummed out and I just feel terrible inside.
megamoose
Donator

Re: Rejection to College

by fingerman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:22 pm

megamoose wrote:Hi guys. I'm like terribly bummed out, I didn't get into my first two choices for college, Penn State Main Campus (Amazing Business school), and UPitt (Good all-around school). How do I cope with this feeling of rejection? I'm terribly bummed out and I just feel terrible inside.

Play less tf2, study more.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by megamoose » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:34 pm

fingerman wrote:
megamoose wrote:Hi guys. I'm like terribly bummed out, I didn't get into my first two choices for college, Penn State Main Campus (Amazing Business school), and UPitt (Good all-around school). How do I cope with this feeling of rejection? I'm terribly bummed out and I just feel terrible inside.

Play less tf2, study more.

Thanks Finger, you're such a big help... >.....<
megamoose
Donator

by CR33D » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Eat ice cream, play TF2, chill with IRL friends.
I deal ¹º² Damage with my favorite gun.
I also spend way to much time on the forum.

HOW THE **** DO I GET IMAGES WORKING?

http://i.imgur.com/3pXBPQs.gif
CR33D

by Nikki Wolf » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Well...there's always community college?
Nikki Wolf

by Rosey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:35 am

What's your GPA, ACT and SAT?
Rosey
Blue Admin

by fingerman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 am

Rosey wrote:What's your GPA, ACT and SAT?

you doctor yet?
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by cloud » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:19 am

The only thing to do is take a breather and find a different college. If you do well enough at said new college, you can possibly make a transfer to one of your first two choices. And like fingerman said, play less, study more. It does nothing but help.
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:58 pm

I can somewhat relate to you, getting rejected from Penn State's main campus as well (and I was a marketing major). Did you get accepted into a satellite campus? I think you automatically matriculate into the main campus after 2 years if I remember correctly, it's been a while.

That said, I decided not to do that and went to Hofstra, a last resort local school, where I had an incredible 4 years. You can be pleasantly surprised once you get on campus and start living the life. Tours and reviews can only tell you so much about the school. Make the best of any situation.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by megamoose » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:41 pm

GPA Weighted: 3.82
Unweighted: 3.2

SAT: 550 Reading, 680 Math, 680 Writing

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:

I can somewhat relate to you, getting rejected from Penn State's main campus as well (and I was a marketing major). Did you get accepted into a satellite campus? I think you automatically matriculate into the main campus after 2 years if I remember correctly, it's been a while.

That said, I decided not to do that and went to Hofstra, a last resort local school, where I had an incredible 4 years. You can be pleasantly surprised once you get on campus and start living the life. Tours and reviews can only tell you so much about the school. Make the best of any situation.

I got into Altoona, but, I did not like it there when I visited.
megamoose
Donator

by Harri » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

As a college teacher, I really suggest you take a semester or so and just work and experience life. It is always a great idea to continue your education. However, many of the students in my classes are immature and ill prepared for adulthood. You'll appreciate college more if you experienced the work force, pay bills, and save money.

(But, I know the feels. When I was a wee lassy I was rejected by Notre Dame. I cried for a week.)
Harri
Blue Admin

by Beartato » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Rejection is a part of life so this is a great time to learn how to cope with it in your own way. You should hopefully come away with some short term lessons and some long term lessons.

In the short term, you've got to learn to cope with the pain of being rejected, especially when it's something that means a lot to you. You've also got to learn how to pull yourself back up after this so it doesn't pull you down. During my college years I failed to receive a major national scholarship I poured tons of time and energy into two years in a row and I really let that weigh me down. In retrospect, I wish I had been able to move past it because it put a damper on my last two years.

And that brings me to the long term. You have to find a way to use your rejections to keep you going. I should have used those rejections as a motivator in some way. I should have seen that the potential for me was so much higher than I had reached at that point my life and that to be on top, I would be expected to work towards that level of accomplishment. And after all, it wasn't the only honor I could possibly accomplish; I still had half a college career to keep on doing more and even more years after college to keep growing and actualizing.

In the end, that hard rejection did help set me up for the job market. I was not even offered an interview with about 95% of the places I applied to and it took three interviews before I received a job offer. But it was a lot easier to keep trying when I had already seen before that rejection wasn't the end of the world.

So you need to find out how to cope with these rejections and moreso try to find a way to make them a positive influence in your life. If you're determined to go to either of those two schools, try doing research now on what you should do to better position yourself as a candidate for next year. There's tons of resources online and you might even be able to get some advice from people who work at the schools in the admissions offices. From there, do the things that will put you in a better light in next year's applicant pool. A few suggestions would be to go to community college (make sure it's one that can transfer into the full-time colleges you're hoping to end up at), get a job, find an internship, perform volunteer work, etc. You should also consider re-taking the SATs and do your best to study for the re-take. Increasing those scores can really help you along with whatever life experiences you gain in a year

And Harri is very right. Going to college as an immature individual could very well leave you feeling like you regret what you did or didn't do in college and can leave you feeling ill-prepared for your post-graduation life. College is what you make of it; you can have a phenomenal experience at a less renowned college if you put the work in. College gives you so many opportunities, both academic and social. Make sure to talk to everyone there, whether they're a fellow student, a professor, a conference presenter, etc. You can end up doing cool research, become well-connected, expand your worldview, etc. by going out of your comfort zone in college. Sure, you should learn to party along the way, but don't get swept up into the mindset that college is just high school without parents.

Best of luck.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by megamoose » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks all for your meaningful words of wisdom, especially you Harri and Beartato. I think that because of you all, and my family, I'll get over this soon!
megamoose
Donator

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Very wise words, Bear.

I guess I'll chime in, too: As a current college student, the first semester for me was rather rough, since I was making the transition from high school to college, in terms of a mindset. I passed my classes with 2 Cs and an A. From what I understand from one of the counselors from the old community college I went to, it's normal to receive grades like that, due to that transition. Whether or not that's really true, I don't know. Either way, I got myself straightened out (okay, maybe not), and I'm making all As now...aside from two Bs that I got.

Since you will be attending college, just be prepared to make adjustments on how you handle your education. This is school that costs money that isn't from the taxpayers, so try to take your work seriously and you should be fine. If you think you need help, don't be afraid to talk to your professors, since they're there to make sure you get the most out of your education. Take advantage of study groups, if you think you really need that sort of help. Also, while your education is important, don't forget to set aside some free time. Doing your assignments can be stressful (especially if you're like me and procrastinate), so take some time to get out of the house or play some video games. Letting all that stress build up can affect your health, so yeah.

With being rejected from where you're wanting to go, just try to spend some time with classes at a community college. Just don't forget to check to make sure that your credits are able to transfer over to where you're planning to go, if you don't plan to stay at that community college for long. And also make sure that you take what you need, at the community college. If you don't know what you need, check with where you want to go first, for a list of classes that pertain to what you're going to major in.
Nikki Wolf

by Arty_pn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Check with your community collages to see if they have transfer programs, two or three, years in community collages is far cheaper than an UC two or three.
Arty_pn

by NickTheCanadianCore » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 am

Looks as if those colleges will miss out on your knowledge... or something like that
Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Canada in a nutshell.
ImageImage
NickTheCanadianCore

by Ron Swansons Stache » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:33 pm

megamoose wrote:GPA Weighted: 3.82
Unweighted: 3.2

SAT: 550 Reading, 680 Math, 680 Writing

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:

I got into Altoona, but, I did not like it there when I visited.

Yeah I think my SAT was a 1290 between reading/math and I have no idea what my high school GPA was anymore. That said, I know people with less grades than me that got into Happy Valley, but it goes beyond just grades and SAT scores man. I can't speak for satellite campuses as I didn't even bother to visit, but it was just an option.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

Return to Spam Fest