Why we kick/ban for derogatory language

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Why we kick/ban for derogatory language

by Harri » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:39 pm

The use of racist, cultural, sexual orientation, and sexist slurs is against Critsandvich rules. Of course, we all know this.

However, the common rebuttal for this rule is the intention of empowerment or playfulness. My goal in this post is to address why the rule stands for everyone on the critsandvich server.

Empowerment:

Today (12/30/13), I joined Balubish in SBII. An overzealous player spouted the word nigger into the mic and was immediately warned by multiple admins. His immediate response was that he was black and had the cultural right to utilize such words. I can't confirm his race and it isn't my business what race he is. His claim is called re-appropriation (the cultural process by which a group reclaims—re-appropriates—terms or artifacts that were previously used in a way disparaging of that group). I understand the importance and significance of re appropriation ... BUT

However, the internet is a veil that completely disguises social, cultural, and race identities. When we join a gaming server (without the extra options of webcam streaming) we are mostly anonymous. This is to everyone's benefit. Re-appropriation is not viable in an anonymous atmosphere.

You do not know who you are talking to or how they might react. You are either someone re-appropriating a word or phrase or you're an asshole. 99.9% of the time- you are just an asshole. Everyone should feel comfortable in a slur free atmosphere.

Playfulness:

No. Keep it in your own chat, mumble, household.
Harri
Blue Admin

Return to Spam Fest