removing clickovers

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

removing clickovers

by Maringue » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:00 pm

So I've been getting popups from sites I know shouldn't have popups, like my university's webpage, so I'm pretty sure they are not being generated by that page. What happened is that the first click, no matter where it is on the page, opens a new tab with whatever bullshit ad. I know this is a local problem because those ads do not show up when I use a different computer to go to the same page.

To start, I've got Symantec Endpoint antivirus running and Adaware running. I've done a full scan with Adaware and usually the only two things it picks up are the modded DLL files for my cracked version of inDesign. Yet, inevitably it comes back again...

On top of that, I'm starting to get Ad links stuck into websites I visit, even Critsandvich. Here's a screen shot to show you what I mean.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?
Attachments
Ad links.jpg
Ad links.jpg (353.21 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Maringue
Blue Admin

Re: removing clickovers

by Dravved » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Yo just a heads up, your email address is visible in the first tab of your screenshot. Not sure if that sort of thing is important to you, just thought you might want to know.
Dravved

by Balubish » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Format c: and problem solved :) Haven't seen it, but seems like some kind of adware or virus or similar. That makes those links for you to push like a yes I want more infection in my pc push all those fucking links.

Seems like your PC got "browser Hijacked" what I could find. http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-text-enhance/ And my guess you pressed a link somewhere that opened up your Anti-Virus and accepted it.

Can never get problems like that without downloading or press yes to something. Thats the way it happens.
Last edited by Balubish on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Knees of Justice » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Looks like some adware. Try performing a full scan with Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (you only need the free version)
You should also try looking through your extensions and add-ons to see if there's anything suspicious.

On a side note, I noticed that you have two antivirus programs running. It is never a good idea to have more than one open at a time, as they may conflict with each other.
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

by Maringue » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Knees of Justice wrote:Looks like some adware. Try performing a full scan with Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (you only need the free version)
You should also try looking through your extensions and add-ons to see if there's anything suspicious.

On a side note, I noticed that you have two antivirus programs running. It is never a good idea to have more than one open at a time, as they may conflict with each other.

Thanks for this link, this picked up all the crap that my anti-virus didn't take care of, most of which was hiding itself in the resistry. Why they can't come out with anti-virus software that also deals with malware is beyond me, but this seems to have fixed the problem.

Wooo!
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Ron Swansons Stache » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Maringue wrote:
Knees of Justice wrote:Looks like some adware. Try performing a full scan with Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (you only need the free version)

Thanks for this link, this picked up all the crap that my anti-virus didn't take care of, most of which was hiding itself in the resistry. Why they can't come out with anti-virus software that also deals with malware is beyond me, but this seems to have fixed the problem.

Wooo!

Malwarebytes is your best removal tool. I use Windows Security Essentials as my monitoring program, but then again I never download anything that I know is sketchy anyway so it's kind of unnecessary.

The trick with Malwarebytes, or any removal tool in general, is to run that shit in Safe Mode (with networking). I've found that quarantining and deleting stuff in regular mode the stuff just tends to come right back, but in Safe Mode it really removes it. Could just be anecdotal evidence, but I'm pretty sure I've read it's best to do it in Safe Mode.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Maringue » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 am

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:
Maringue wrote:

Wooo!

Malwarebytes is your best removal tool. I use Windows Security Essentials as my monitoring program, but then again I never download anything that I know is sketchy anyway so it's kind of unnecessary.

The trick with Malwarebytes, or any removal tool in general, is to run that shit in Safe Mode (with networking). I've found that quarantining and deleting stuff in regular mode the stuff just tends to come right back, but in Safe Mode it really removes it. Could just be anecdotal evidence, but I'm pretty sure I've read it's best to do it in Safe Mode.

It wasn't necessary for me, but this makes sense. Stuff can get away from a removal tool by being in use, and Safe Mode only allows essential items to boot up removing that method of eluding removal software.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Return to Spam Fest