SteamOS (and the two other mystery announcements)

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

SteamOS (and the two other mystery announcements)

by Knees of Justice » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm sure all of you have heard of this by now: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

So Valve is finally making its big push from the PC to your living room. What do you think? Does its functionality warrant its use over traditional consoles?
Of course, the next logical step is to unveil the hardware that will accommodate SteamOS. The third mystery is anyone's guess, though many suspect it of being the Source 2 engine.
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

Re: SteamOS (and the two other mystery announcements)

by Balubish » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Would be worth a try I guess.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Preminicious » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:12 pm

It's an interesting concept. I've always liked Linux over Windows as an OS, and a barebones OS dedicated to playing games without the need to worry about background processes bogging down the hardware would work wonders on older stuff. That said, I'd like to know the full line-up of games that will be available at launch and what will be ported over later. I'm also looking forward to SteamBox and seeing what that will be like spec-wise. It'll be an interesting week for sure.
Preminicious
Donator

by Ron Swansons Stache » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:15 am

I'm wondering if this will push the gaming community towards Linux, even if it's not SteamOS. I guess this explains why Valve has been pushing Linux the past year or so, and I'm certainly intrigued. Gaming is one of the last reasons I've held off on switching over full time to Ubuntu.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Beartato » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Windows 8 does not look like an OS for gaming so there's a market vacuum slowly forming. I know Valve and Notch have heavily criticized the direction Windows is taking with delivering apps / games and I imagine it's more widespread than just those two.

I imagine Linux making a run for the PC gamers' OS market share, but I don't see SteamOS overtaking the living rooms. The current consoles seem pretty well established, especially since they could probably upgrade their virtual market offerings to compete with Steam.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by Ron Swansons Stache » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 pm

What I'm also wondering is how does this factor in with Big Picture? Are they now basically saying we jumped the gun with Big Picture and want you to use SteamOS/your SteamBox or do they want to run them both concurrently or what? Seems there's a lot of overlap there.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Beartato » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:What I'm also wondering is how does this factor in with Big Picture? Are they now basically saying we jumped the gun with Big Picture and want you to use SteamOS/your SteamBox or do they want to run them both concurrently or what? Seems there's a lot of overlap there.

I'd guess that they tie in together. Big Picture may have just been testing the water.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

Return to Spam Fest