That time of year...New laptop?

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

That time of year...New laptop?

by Prof_Schwartz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:34 pm

So my father asked me what I want for Hanukkah this year. Fuck should I know. Then I realized, hey wait, I need a new laptop. This crap is 2 and a half years old and is crap. I have an Asus that I got in June of 2010.

The laptop I have is an Asus G51JX-X5. It's obviously outdated and I want something good. All I need it to do is to have memory for games, gaming capability, iTunes, interwebz, the works.

Any ideas CSn? Leave your opinions/ideas below, much appreciated :)
Prof_Schwartz

Re: That time of year...New laptop?

by NBC011795 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Prof_Schwartz wrote:The laptop I have is an Asus G51JX-X5. It's obviously outdated and I want something good.

I got mine that very same year, and mine isn't nearly as good as yours :lol:
I need an upgrade soon as well it seems.
NBC011795
Pink Admin

by GoDM1N » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Why not a desktop? >.> Cheaper and faster.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 am

GoDM1N wrote:Why not a desktop? >.> Cheaper and faster.

Could be because he has to go to other places with it. I wouldn't know, though owo
Nikki Wolf

by Drawed » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 am

Nikki Wolf wrote:

Could be because he has to go to other places with it. I wouldn't know, though owo

Man now that I know what that "owo" shit means I feel like I have some sort of secret knowledge. You have no idea how long I was confused by it. I ended up just thinking it was the sound of a wolf howling or something.

And to Schwartzy, just don't get my laptop.
Drawed

by LegendarySurgeon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 am

Drawed wrote:Man now that I know what that "owo" shit means I feel like I have some sort of secret knowledge. You have no idea how long I was confused by it. I ended up just thinking it was the sound of a wolf howling or something.

Lol, wait, it wasn't really obviously a face? >_> It's even symmetric with big round eye shapes, way less confusing than emoticons like Orz.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by Drawed » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:46 pm

LegendarySurgeon wrote:
Drawed wrote:Man now that I know what that "owo" shit means I feel like I have some sort of secret knowledge. You have no idea how long I was confused by it. I ended up just thinking it was the sound of a wolf howling or something.

Lol, wait, it wasn't really obviously a face? >_> It's even symmetric with big round eye shapes, way less confusing than emoticons like Orz.

Dude... How was I supposed to know w was a nose? And what the fuck is Orz...
Drawed

by Beartato » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Took a second to recognize it, but Orz is pretty awesome.

My condescension, wait no I mean condolences, to Drawed for being slow. owo seems kinda obvious...

Also, I would second the desktop vote. You would still have your old laptop for portable use (unless your monitor is busted like mine) while getting a more cost-effective improvement for heavy-duty applications, like vidya gaems. Alternatively, building a desktop and buying a netbook might be another option that could fall in a similar price range as a mid-range laptop.

But if you are dead set on a laptop, I would recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad line. They are pretty pricey (since they are mostly Intel components) but they are typically very sturdy machines. My 5.5 year old Thinkpad T61p works just as nicely as (or even better) than most 2-3 year old Dells/HPs/other-cheap-laptop-brands that my friends have, although that might also be because I take care of it (never had a virus, uninstall crap I don't need, reformat with OS reinstall every 6-9 months, open it up and clean dust out every 6-9 months, etc) better than they do theirs. I have removed more viruses from friends' PCs than I have my own in my life. (My magic tools are Task Manager and Google.)
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by Drawed » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Beartato wrote:Took a second to recognize it, but Orz is pretty awesome.

My condescension, wait no I mean condolences, to Drawed for being slow. owo seems kinda obvious...

Also, I would second the desktop vote. You would still have your old laptop for portable use (unless your monitor is busted like mine) while getting a more cost-effective improvement for heavy-duty applications, like vidya gaems. Alternatively, building a desktop and buying a netbook might be another option that could fall in a similar price range as a mid-range laptop.

But if you are dead set on a laptop, I would recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad line. They are pretty pricey (since they are mostly Intel components) but they are typically very sturdy machines. My 5.5 year old Thinkpad T61p works just as nicely as (or even better) than most 2-3 year old Dells/HPs/other-cheap-laptop-brands that my friends have, although that might also be because I take care of it (never had a virus, uninstall crap I don't need, reformat with OS reinstall every 6-9 months, open it up and clean dust out every 6-9 months, etc) better than they do theirs. I have removed more viruses from friends' PCs than I have my own in my life. (My magic tools are Task Manager and Google.)

NO! I HAVE A THINKPAD AND IT FUCKING SUCKS FOR GAMES!
Drawed

by Beartato » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Eh, seems good to me. It's very good in general; it's done a good job running computationally intense software (e.g., CAD, ArcGIS, MATLab, Excel, etc), has done decently at multitasking (probably better now that they're using quad core processors), and does well for audio and video. But I would guess that for a game like Skyrim, it will be bottlenecked by the video card (which is ~GTX 630/540M). But really, is anyone expecting to run Skyrim on ultra with visual enhancement mods on a laptop? (And if we're talking about playing TF2, it will be more than fine.) Plus, the machines are pretty reliable and you will get good customer service.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by GoDM1N » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 am

Nikki Wolf wrote:

If this is the case he should look into ultrabooks instead of laptops.

http://www.newegg.com/ultrabooks/?name=Ultrabooks
GoDM1N
Donator

by Prof_Schwartz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 pm

I don't have space for a desktop. I don't take my laptop anywhere really except from my dresser to my lap. No desk. FH said I should get something with a dedicated memory card, he showed me a decent laptop for 800. I don't really know my price range, but it can't really be more than that. I have a feeling i'm gonna be adding some cash to this gift of mine (ikr) so there's that. I don't know what an Ultrabook is or what's so special about, and I'm computarded. I would have no clue how to build a desktop in the first place. I just want something good that will last me and can handle games. I don't need a 2 foot screen even 17 inches is a little ridiculous for my liking. The one I have right now is 15.6" and I'm super happy with it. It just sucks now.

need moar suggestiones
Prof_Schwartz

by Prof_Schwartz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Oh and all it really needs is the ability to play games and have more than like 1 big game installed at a time and interwebz lol I'm not using it for school work now, but along the lines I'll need it for that, but Word comes with it.
Prof_Schwartz

by GoDM1N » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Prof_Schwartz wrote:I don't have space for a desktop. I don't take my laptop anywhere really except from my dresser to my lap. No desk. FH said I should get something with a dedicated memory card, he showed me a decent laptop for 800. I don't really know my price range, but it can't really be more than that. I have a feeling i'm gonna be adding some cash to this gift of mine (ikr) so there's that. I don't know what an Ultrabook is or what's so special about, and I'm computarded. I would have no clue how to build a desktop in the first place. I just want something good that will last me and can handle games. I don't need a 2 foot screen even 17 inches is a little ridiculous for my liking. The one I have right now is 15.6" and I'm super happy with it. It just sucks now.

need moar suggestiones

Basically "Ultrabook" is a standard set by intel however if you're not going to be taking it around anywhere you might consider what is called a desktop replacement. Those are basically big laptops with tons of power. They're not good for carrying around so they're generally not a good recommendation but in your case they could work. Since they are more powerful they are much heavier, hotter and their battery won't last more than 30mins but if you're always plugged in that isn't a problem.

Took a very quick look on newegg and found this one. There most likely are better choices out there if I looked harder, but that gives a idea of what a desktop replacement is.
GoDM1N
Donator

Return to Spam Fest