I'm about to become a lot poor-er-er (costco)

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

I'm about to become a lot poor-er-er (costco)

by Failhorse » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:40 pm

My town just approved a zoning thingy. So I'm going to have a Costco 3 blocks from my house. It's funny as hell. The town is freaking out about traffic and whatnot. But they desperately want the tax revenue.

I'm personally torn about this. I spend a crap ton of money there every month. Now there will be one closer than the grocery store.

Now politicized.
If you never partaken of a Costco. I highly recommend it. It's very addicting though. Better crap than Sam's. And they lead, in retail, in employee benefits and pay. So good in fact, the wifey abandoned most of her massage therapy clientele to work there full time. They started her at $17 an hour and cover 78% of benefits. (Even if you're part time.) Walmart pay 9 on the high end and only covers 33%, only if you are full time.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: I'm about to become a lot poor-er-er (costco)

by xalde » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:06 pm

I approve of Costco, and I too would be scared to have one next door. Costco also carries Nutella. Costco is love.
xalde
Donator

by Prof_Schwartz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Never been.... Is it just a big ass super market with incredible prices? Or is it like an IKEA-esque Walmart crossed with Wegmans and Target? A giant Supermarket Orgy Place?
Prof_Schwartz

by Repoman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:16 pm

I remember Costco having tons and tons of snack booths...and thats the only reason why I liked the place.
Repoman

by Prof_Schwartz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Repoman wrote:I remember Costco having tons and tons of snack booths...and thats the only reason why I liked the place.

Repoman wrote:having tons and tons of snack booths

Repoman wrote:snack booths

SNACK BOOTHS?!?!?!?!??!?!
Prof_Schwartz

by Argent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, part of your yearly membership cost goes toward free samples of cooked and uncooked foods they hand out every day, usually good stuff. It's really just a huge damned warehouse, (at least the one's I've been to) where you pick stuff off of palettes and they're all wholesale price and quantity. I wouldn't compare it to any retail store, it's special.

>[I] TAKE THAT, CLOCKS
Argent
Donator
The Fourth Suited Ace

by Failhorse » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Costco does the obscenely large pack quantities on food. But its not all that bad. Yes the 5 gallon jug of mayo. But things that don't spoil last forever. IE cereals, ect. They have an in house meat cutting dept and bakery.
In the summers i probably spend 100 a week on meat. I have a lot of bbq's at the house, parties whatnot. Electronics are stupid cheap. It's usually not crap, so it's not a 200 dollar desktop. It's a high end rig for 800 bucks, or something like that. Laptops are dirt cheap. usually have their own graphics card and ssds. Any electronic has a 2 year extended warranty. You don't need a receipt. I bought a TV, 18 months later it broke. Brought it back, no receipt, got a newer better replacement for free.

Alcohol is also a deal. Biggest deal here. As a fine burbon/wiskey/scotch drinker. I get Glenlivet 18 yr old in jumbo size for 1/2 the price in liquor stores. Kirkland brand beer is made by Sam adams and some other nicer beer companies and is dirt cheap.

Overall. For electronics it may be a bit more than the internet. You pay sales tax. But you are getting better products. And a warranty that is unquestioned. On food stuff, be careful to not buy more than can be consumed in a reasonable time. On liquor. Shit the 50 a year for member ship is saved in the first month.... At least for me. hahha.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by xalde » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 am

Upgrade to the gold star membership, like 100 a year, and you get a check worth something like 3% of you purchases every year. You always get a minimum amount worth the cost of upgrading from regular to gold star, so win win.
xalde
Donator

by Failhorse » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 am

That's the executive member, and yes. Employees and family get those for free. haha.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Beartato » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Failhorse wrote:blahblahblah

Alcohol is also a deal. Biggest deal here. As a fine burbon/wiskey/scotch drinker. I get Glenlivet 18 yr old in jumbo size for 1/2 the price in liquor stores. Kirkland brand beer is made by Sam adams and some other nicer beer companies and is dirt cheap.

blahblahblah

I wish I never knew this, because now I know I'm missing out. My state has minimum liquor pricing by law so Costco will never be more than a few dollars cheaper than a liquor store here.

Fun fact: Liquor stores in Connecticut are commonly called package stores, or packies for short. Easiest way to tell if someone is from CT.

Also, please give me a mid-shelf bourbon recommendation. I have a lot to learn and I have the passion.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by Maringue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Failhorse wrote:Yes the 5 gallon jug of mayo.

Where do you think the sandwich shop down the street gets it's mayo from?

But in all seriousness, where the fuck are they going to put the parking lot for this store, underneath the store?
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Failhorse » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Oddly enough this is on a space that needs to be developed. There was a food service distributor that occupied nearly 23 acres in my town. Right next to a huge mall. There's all sorts of shit going on about it. There's a clause in the original land deal that said only x land could have a 'dept. store.' And the village is buying out that clause. I'll send you links Maringue. Don't want to give away too much about where i live. Stalkers like Drawed may come and find me.

Here's an image:
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Newport » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 pm

economy sized everythangs

I wish I worked there and had a sweet chill spot like in Employee of the Month

"Ruler Zig Zag, Zig-Allah jam is fatal, Quick to stick my Wu-Tang sword right through ya navel"
"You can see the weakness of a man right through his iris, Un-loyal snakes get thrown in boilin lakes"
Newport

Return to Spam Fest