Hurricane Sandy

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Hurricane Sandy

by megamoose » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Geez, I feel like souch a docuhe because it's repetitive, but I will say it anyway.

Even though I'm in Pennsylvania, where nothing happens usually, I am kind of fearful for the New Jersey-ers, b/c they have it the worst. Hurricane Sandy will shut power down for maybe 1+ weeks, so I advise everybody to you know, be prepared. I hope all of you stay safe and please, don't be an ignorant douche who says "This thing is nothing!", then get swept away. Common sense... :| :shock: ...
megamoose
Donator

Re: Hurricane Sandy

by Rologton » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:30 pm

It's hitting NY too. Most NYC School are closing down. The schools up here in Albany are getting ready for potential emergency. My school keeps sending emails saying that we may get cancellations. Tomorrow doubtfully, but I bet Wednesday we will.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by stanley » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:40 pm

my, and most other schools around mine, have been cancelled. probably lose power for a couple days. nothing more

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by megamoose » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, I just want to make sure wherever the hurricane / tropical storm hits, people are safe. My school cancelled till Tuesday too, hurray hjigh school, but boo for more school later...
megamoose
Donator

by Prof_Schwartz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm in manhattan, and most the MTA is shut down, just the subways right now, but the buses are running until it gets BAD. right now its just windy, about 57 degrees...no rain yet. but cause of this fucking storm (i have seen so many funny memes already) im losing 20 hours of work. TWENTY. Thats like 200 dollars right there man....fuck!

I'm not worried though. Flooding, heavy rain and wind, everything closed....pretty much. Ever since the NYC snowstorm of 1888 all the power lines are underground which is why they shut the subways down a few hours ago.
Prof_Schwartz

by Lime_Flavored_Dragon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Being from Ohio, I'm honestly not sure at all how hard we're gonna get hit... I'm hoping the worst we get is just a fuckton of rain

Edit: looking at the prediction it looks like I'm in the warning zone... but hard to tell if I'm in the danger zone because I'm like right on the border
ImageImage

8:04 PM - ≫ReL≪ PootisFactory CSn|LN: the dragon is sniffing the shark and the shark is tasting the dragon
Lime_Flavored_Dragon

by Beartato » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:48 pm

There's a good chance quite a few of us regulars won't be on for a few days or even a week+.

I'm in south central CT about 5-10 miles from the coast so I'm worrying a bit about it. I saw nothing but rain for the next 48 hours and nothing but 40+ mph winds most of tomorrow. Also I just heard that some of the major rivers here are going to be flowing backwards during tomorrow's high tide because of the storm surge, which is pretty insane.

On the bright side, I'll hopefully get work cancelled and can start working on a bottle of bourbon with a friend by 10am tomorrow.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by LegendarySurgeon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:44 am

I live in Maryland near DC and we're expecting to actually get hurricane force winds so I don't know how that's going to turn out. Sounds exciting.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by xalde » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Every time someone mentions hurricane Sandy I always think of Sandy Squirrel from Spongebob Squarepants. And somehow it fits.
xalde
Donator

by gewf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:32 pm

My sister's stuck in NY right now, no flights out because of the hurricane.
kinda freaked out
gewf
Donator

by Prof_Schwartz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:13 pm

gewf wrote:My sister's stuck in NY right now, no flights out because of the hurricane.
kinda freaked out

Depending on where in NYC, she'll be okay. I'm in the heights of manhattan, so right now its just winds and some drizzling rains, other than that, nothing too bad yet. Although a crane on the freedom tower collapsed at 57th and 6th, which isn't really near me but near both me AND my girl's job, so I'm a little worried. I think Bloomberg is just overbearing, again. Like that snowstorm. Fuckin new yorkers.
Prof_Schwartz

by Rologton » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Yeah, she'll be fine man. Especially if she's in the airport, those things are pretty safe.

Edit: This is fucking with my connection, I might not be on much if at all until it passes.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Hatred » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:08 am

i know ... no one cares about canada ... but it got us pretty bad here in toronto ... and my thoughts are out to my jersey friends ...
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by Prof_Schwartz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 am

So it pretty much passed, some white clouds in a bright blue sky. Fuck you, Bloomberg. Give me 220 dollars to make up for my 20hrs of work, please
Prof_Schwartz

by fingerman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 am

Sandy hasn't hit Nebraska yet.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Saber » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi Schwartz, you tell that to the flooded tunnels and streets and my lack of cell phone service.
Oh also tell that to every single dorm without power. Oh. That's every dorm. Except mine.
Saber

by Maringue » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Best Sandy meme I've seen so far:
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Beartato » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:50 am

Prof_Schwartz wrote:Depending on where in NYC, she'll be okay. I'm in the heights of manhattan, so right now its just winds and some drizzling rains, other than that, nothing too bad yet. Although a crane on the freedom tower collapsed at 57th and 6th, which isn't really near me but near both me AND my girl's job, so I'm a little worried. I think Bloomberg is just overbearing, again. Like that snowstorm. Fuckin new yorkers.

The snowstorm last Halloween?

Yeah, that one did a metric shit ton of damage in CT so he might not have been so crazy there.

(1 metric shit ton = 1.1 imperial shit tons)
Beartato

by cloud » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm

It bugs me when i hear people saying, "Oh. This is so much worse that Katrina." Not talking about any of you, its just when I random people on T.V. or the radio saying it. I kinda just wanna stroll up to them and say, "Worse than Katrina eh? Remind me how long parts of New Orleans were underwater, how long THEY lost power, oh, and also, how many people has Sandy killed? Think about that number and remind yourself, how many people did Katrina kill?"
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by Rologton » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Actually, Sandy is the largest hurricane, diameter wise, in recorded history.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Saber » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:38 pm

I can't believe you're even making a fucking comparison. PEOPLE ARE DEAD. Jersey Shore is demolished. Tons of Jersey is demolished. You know what? I take massive fucking offense to that shitty fucking post you just made, ok? Seriously you are saying "oh don't compare this to Katrina man this isn't nearly as bad" and guess what even if that's fucking true that's NOT A FUCKING COMPARISON YOU MAKE, HOLY SHIT. PEOPLE
ARE
DEAD
Lower manhattan is DEAD. No power. And
uygh
fucking
shit

just pisses me off when people brush this shit off like Schwartz, going all fucking "ohhhhhh bloomberg overreacted hurrf gudrgnh i want my fucking video games hgasdghoi hurr i want my $200" holy fucking shitx
DO YOU FUCKING KNOW HOW IMPORTANT NEW YORK IS
IT'S FUCKING DUDE
HOLY SHIT
WALL STREEET WAS UNDERWATER
THE GODDAMN CITY IS FUCKING fuck
Saber

by Saber » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Have you even considered the fucking economic ramifications of this goddamn storm
nyc shutting down for days
the amount of people and business that's been lost in the past few days because of the power
the fact that i live in a fucking dead zone now
god fucking shit cloud what the fuck
i am fucking mad
Saber

by Ichise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Wasn't terrible in our area, but apparently it hit my house pretty bad, and even that wasn't close to some places. It was absolutely demolishing coastal areas for days. The pictures are crazy, but this one is just.... jeez.
Last edited by Ichise on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ichise

by Ichise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Wait, sorry, my computer is messing up a lot. Jeez, power here is spotty at best, but at least we have running water and food.
Ichise

by Saber » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:43 pm

uh that's time square
and i call shopped
Saber

by Beartato » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:06 pm

uh that's time square
and i call shopped

pixels etc
Beartato

by Maringue » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Saber wrote:I can't believe you're even making a fucking comparison. PEOPLE ARE DEAD. Jersey Shore is demolished. Tons of Jersey is demolished. You know what? I take massive fucking offense to that shitty fucking post you just made, ok? Seriously you are saying "oh don't compare this to Katrina man this isn't nearly as bad" and guess what even if that's fucking true that's NOT A FUCKING COMPARISON YOU MAKE, HOLY SHIT. PEOPLE
ARE
DEAD
Lower manhattan is DEAD. No power. And
uygh
fucking
shit

just pisses me off when people brush this shit off like Schwartz, going all fucking "ohhhhhh bloomberg overreacted hurrf gudrgnh i want my fucking video games hgasdghoi hurr i want my $200" holy fucking shitx
DO YOU FUCKING KNOW HOW IMPORTANT NEW YORK IS
IT'S FUCKING DUDE
HOLY SHIT
WALL STREEET WAS UNDERWATER
THE GODDAMN CITY IS FUCKING fuck

A) Mellow out a bit man
B) Just because this hurricane hit you does not make it more tragic than any other hurricane.
C) New Orleans is still fucked from Katrina 8 years later, NYC will be fixed good as new in 2 months. The tragedy was not the hurricane, it was the response.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Patrid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Central Jersey reporting in. Two things:

1. I'm back, baby.

2. After ~35hrs of no power (personally), I can say this hurricane was exactly what i expected it to be.
A week off of classes, postponed exams, massive amounts of drinking/board-games/candlelight.
Two of the four campuses of my University were evacuated to the two campuses north of the raritan river, which started flooding hours before the 70-80 mph gusts. There was no city electricity to pump the water to dorms, and boiled water advisory (and water shortages) for New Brunswick. Students and nearby residents were rushed into the evacuation centers (campus gymnasiums), some without cots and heat.
Gas stations have a 2+ hour wait by car because so few of them have opened back up. Occasionally, roads are blocked off due to fallen branches/trees and I had to drive an extra 10+miles down Route 1 North to find the nearest left turn that wasn't blocked off because of off streetlights. Worse of all, the liquor stores I normally go to were closed for a couple of days.

It's not doomsday, but it certainly ain't pretty.
Failhorse:Exploits are okay as long are you're an admin
ImageImage
Patrid

by Ichise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:03 pm

Patrid wrote:Central Jersey reporting in. Two things:

1. I'm back, baby.

2. After ~35hrs of no power (personally), I can say this hurricane was exactly what i expected it to be.
A week off of classes, postponed exams, massive amounts of drinking/board-games/candlelight.
Two of the four campuses of my University were evacuated to the two campuses north of the raritan river, which started flooding hours before the 70-80 mph gusts. There was no city electricity to pump the water to dorms, and boiled water advisory (and water shortages) for New Brunswick. Students and nearby residents were rushed into the evacuation centers (campus gymnasiums), some without cots and heat.
Gas stations have a 2+ hour wait by car because so few of them have opened back up. Occasionally, roads are blocked off due to fallen branches/trees and I had to drive an extra 10+miles down Route 1 North to find the nearest left turn that wasn't blocked off because of off streetlights. Worse of all, the liquor stores I normally go to were closed for a couple of days.

It's not doomsday, but it certainly ain't pretty.

Exactly seconded. Without the drinking or driving. So, pretty much it works. Things are pretty good for our part of Jersey for now.
Ichise

by Beartato » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Sandy finally took out my power about five hours ago. I think it's because they shut it off on a neighboring street to fix a broken telephone pole. I just woke up from my I-have-nothing-to-do nap and am pretty sure I've borked my sleep schedule more than before.

But at least I finally got to work a day at a place that has power today so I wasn't standing in the dark putting price tags on bars of soap for six hours. (And free pizza for lunch.)
Beartato

by Prof_Schwartz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 pm

triggerhappy841311 wrote:Wasn't terrible in our area, but apparently it hit my house pretty bad, and even that wasn't close to some places. It was absolutely demolishing coastal areas for days. The pictures are crazy, but this one is just.... jeez.

OF COURSE this pic is fucking fake!!! That's water is toooooo clean and clear to be NYC tap water/subway juice, and if that were really time square, you would see some floating rats and maybe a homeless person.
Prof_Schwartz

by cloud » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:53 pm

I am well aware of the fact that people are dying because of Sandy, and I am also well aware of the massive scale of the storm, but I did not intend to make you angry, Saber. I was only pointing out actual statistics of one storm vs. Another. I apologise if I struck an off note with you and brought up a touchy subject, and I will try not to in the future. But please, give my side some legitimate thought before you start your rage post. And again, I am sorry.
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by Saber » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:52 pm

it's fine saber's just a fucking autistic shitlord, doesn't matter
Saber

Return to Spam Fest