Got a rough draft for my computer build, need some feedback

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Got a rough draft for my computer build, need some feedback

by Fencerboy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Heres the parts I choose, looking for some feedback

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=20644432
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

Re: Got a rough draft for my computer build, need some feedb

by GoDM1N » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:57 am

Looks good to me. I still suggest using the same HDDs and buying a SSD for the OS.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Vivi Hill » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 am

That's my case! I really like it personally, lots of fans and it stays cool. And you can turn the fan speed down if you want it to be quieter. I'm not an expert on hardware--I need to do lots of research myself before buying--so I'm not going to comment on anything else since my advice won't be helpful. Looks good at a glance though!
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by gewf » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 pm

You seem to have gone up a different alley than me.
I paid only like 50$ more for my graphics card than my CPU. I hear you shouldn't bottleneck, so I would either spend more on your cpu or less on your gpu. or both. or spend more on both.
gewf
Donator

by nicewithit » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:30 pm

hi fencer

just built a computer for work and some thoughts from a semi-noob

1. pcpartpicker.com lets you shop around and find the best dealers among retailers and show off nicely
2. if you have a microcenter nearby, their 3570k are going for 179.99 in store + 50$ off mobo. 3570k is sick, my work computer is overclocked to 4.5ghz no problem (with an ASrock extreme 4 as mobo)
3. if your'e thinking about overclocking, i've heard great things about the GA-Z77X-UD3H as a mobo (supposedly way better than my ASrock board). idk shit about the actual electronics but i've heard it's got great cost/performance, it's at least a 50$ diff against your current motherboard, money u save can go toward ssd for OS
also pick up a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 if you're planning to overclock. again great cost/performance
4. this system is goign to crush tf2. my 3570k/570 at work gets literally 3k frames on itemtest and 200-400 during csn play
5. i think u can find a better hdd, example: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... lectronics and was on sale 2 days ago for 120
Last edited by nicewithit on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicewithit
Blue Admin

by GoDM1N » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:43 pm

gewf wrote:You seem to have gone up a different alley than me.
I paid only like 50$ more for my graphics card than my CPU. I hear you shouldn't bottleneck, so I would either spend more on your cpu or less on your gpu. or both. or spend more on both.

CPUs aren't as important as you might think in terms of gaming. All the magic happens on the GPU and thats where you will see the performance increase or decrease. Tbh even older mid ranged CPUs from 2009 (Eg Q6600) are more than enough CPU power. Ofc it depends on the game, but the vast majority of games depend on the GPU for frame rate.

Also the cost of the GPU and CPU does not correlate with one bottlenecking the other. CPUs will last a few GPU generations and only after that will you see the CPU bottlenecking the GPU, and tbh I don't think theres any single card (or multicard setup for that matter) that would be held back by the CPU Fencer picked.

nicewithit wrote:4. this system is goign to crush tf2. my 3570k/570 at work gets literally 3k frames on itemtest and 200-400 during csn play

This is another "problem" imo. After taking a look at Fencerboys games on steam the most demanding thing he has is Portal 2. I assume he has other non-steam games, but if not why spend so much for a computer to run TF2?
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by gewf » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:23 am

GoDM1N wrote:
gewf wrote:You seem to have gone up a different alley than me.

CPUs aren't as important as you might think in terms of gaming. All the magic happens on the GPU and thats where you will see the performance increase or decrease. Tbh even older mid ranged CPUs from 2009 (Eg Q6600) are more than enough CPU power. Ofc it depends on the game, but the vast majority of games depend on the GPU for frame rate.

Also the cost of the GPU and CPU does not correlate with one bottlenecking the other. CPUs will last a few GPU generations and only after that will you see the CPU bottlenecking the GPU, and tbh I don't think theres any single card (or multicard setup for that matter) that would be held back by the CPU Fencer picked.

nicewithit wrote:4. this system is goign to crush tf2. my 3570k/570 at work gets literally 3k frames on itemtest and 200-400 during csn play

This is another "problem" imo. After taking a look at Fencerboys games on steam the most demanding thing he has is Portal 2. I assume he has other non-steam games, but if not why spend so much for a computer to run TF2?

I play dayz a lot, which is a fairly cpu-intensive game. (i concede, due to poor optimization courtesy of the arma 2 engine) so I do have a bias.
I'm not, by any means, saying you should skimp on a gpu.
gewf
Donator

by Failhorse » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:39 am

You are overpaying by about 250 bucks. I'd wait til black friday.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Fencerboy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Failhorse wrote:You are overpaying by about 250 bucks. I'd wait til black friday.

Ya I'm going to wait
I'm in no rush
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by Saber » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:26 pm

gimme your old computer
Saber

by squar3d » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Do you really need a full ATX. I can't seem to justify it, seeing how a mATX board does just as well. I would also suggest a SilverStone SG09 (for mATX), it would allow you full size components in everything (except for the slim drive) and still be pretty small. I think you can get it for a Benjamin even. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=345 If I get a box one of these days it would be it. Plus also if you can spare it an SSD makes life faster (not much in games though).
squar3d
Donator

Return to Spam Fest