Triva again!!

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Triva again!!

by Maringue » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Here's my trivia question:

Why are these two buildings important and what are their names?
Building #1:

Building #2:

Prize: 5 stranges and 2 hats
Extra bonus prize: 3 refined for explaining how this question relates to Failhorse's trivia question.

You have until I get back from Vegas on Weds night to submit your answers. Who ever gets it first with the proper explanation wins in case of a tie. Alternatively, if someone gets it right AND gets the bonus right the win the whole enchilada regardless of when they submit the answer.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Re: Triva again!!

by Thret » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Studying architectural engineering and put in a bunch of questions about buildings and mechanical stuff? Good job guys! :P

Number 1 is the Monadnok (sp?) Building (MB). Number 2 is the Home Insurance Building (HIB). Both are in Chicago.

For the MB it was one of, if not, the first building in America to use aluminum. It was built in the late 1800s (1890s?) and was at the time the tallest load-bearing masonry wall ever constructed. Not sure if that record has been broken. It was also one of the largest iron frame buildings constructed. It used a new system to withstand wind but I can't remember what it's called or how it works.

The HIB was built earlier than the MB by about 20ish years. It's considered the world's first skyscraper despite never being the tallest building in Chicago, or the world. It's defined as a skyscraper because the entire load of the building, inside and out, is handled by the iron frame. It weighed something like 30% of what it would have if the HIB had been constructed with conventional techniques (I.E., masonry). This was part of a style of architecture called Chicago School which later led to the modern skyscrapers we see today (Many by Mies Van der Rohe. Check the Seagram's Building).

I don't know much about Chicago School but I do remember Modernism. I believe this relates to Failhorse's quote because of what practitioners of the Modernist architecture movement believed about design: Design should show off function; Never hide it. I think is was Sullivan who preached "Form follow function." Which is another way to put this: Designs should be chosen because of function.

Whew. I think that's all I have to say on the topic. Haha.
Thret

by Saber » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:14 pm

First one is the Monadnock Building. It's a building in Chicago that employed some novel techniques that

Home Insurance Building in Chicago, Illinois. It's important because of its build, it's considered the very first skyscraper in the world (though this sure as hell doesn't match up to today's skyscraper standards), since its frame is built the way that
In any case, these buildings would probably be some of the first examples of the idea that form follows function, which is the gist of the quote that Failhorse gave us. I'd say that these buildings are built specifically in a way that doesn't do anything fancy with the overall

goddamn it thret I NEED THIS METAL A LOT MORE THAN YOU DO
Saber

by Rologton » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Can someone do a History question, please? I'm good at History...
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by medkitz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Rologton wrote:Can someone do a History question, please? I'm good at History...

I'll fund your unusual quest if you can answer without using the internet (honor system).

The Cold War has involved numerous countries during the entire "war". Name all wars and events which are either during the Cold War along with consequences. This question can only be answered by Rologton. btw if you don't know some stuff i'll still help. I'm just making a game out of it.
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by Bagger Vance » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:05 pm

peter why are you doing this you're ruining everything

Bagger Vance
Donator
Photographer at Daily Bugle

by Rologton » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 pm

medkitz wrote:
Rologton wrote:Can someone do a History question, please? I'm good at History...

I'll fund your unusual quest if you can answer without using the internet (honor system).

The Cold War has involved numerous countries during the entire "war". Name all wars and events which are either during the Cold War along with consequences. This question can only be answered by Rologton. btw if you don't know some stuff i'll still help. I'm just making a game out of it.

Iiinteresting. Lets see:

You got the Berlin Air Lifts, which came as a huge NATO victory.
Marshall Plan and Warsaw Pact, which were America and Russia, respectively, offering money and supplies to countries ravaged by World War II in order to gain those countries support. On America's side, it kept countries away from Communism, and on the Soviet's side, it brought countries into communism and under their control.
Korean War, which led to a stalemate at the 38 Parallel, and technically is still going on to this day.
Vietnam War, including bombings in Cambodia and Laos. This led to Vietnam falling to communism.
Also the Soviet/Afghanistan wars, which ended as a huge loss on the Soviet's part.
Yom Kippur war which solidified Israel's position in Palestine, as well as its strength as a millitary power.
There's also the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Suez Canal Incident, Soviet backed communist revolutions in South America, the Able Archer excersises, and ending in the collapse of the Berlin Wall.

How's that? ;)
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Saber » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Bagger Vance wrote:peter why are you doing this you're ruining everything

Google image search was actually how I got everything there in the first place...
Saber

by medkitz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Rologton wrote:
medkitz wrote:

Iiinteresting. Lets see:

You got the Berlin Air Lifts, which came as a huge NATO victory.
Marshall Plan and Warsaw Pact, which were America and Russia, respectively, offering money and supplies to countries ravaged by World War II in order to gain those countries support. On America's side, it kept countries away from Communism, and on the Soviet's side, it brought countries into communism and under their control.
Korean War, which led to a stalemate at the 38 Parallel, and technically is still going on to this day.
Vietnam War, including bombings in Cambodia and Laos. This led to Vietnam falling to communism.
Also the Soviet/Afghanistan wars, which ended as a huge loss on the Soviet's part.
Yom Kippur war which solidified Israel's position in Palestine, as well as its strength as a millitary power.
There's also the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Suez Canal Incident, Soviet backed communist revolutions in South America, the Able Archer excersises, and ending in the collapse of the Berlin Wall.

How's that? ;)

Very nice, I am impressed.
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by Maringue » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Well, I thought that would take longer. Who knew we had so many architecture people around.

Thret, send me a trade request next time you see me on. And as part of the deal I request that some of the loot be used to fund another trivia question!

And Google image searches? Boooooooo! :evil: I was too lazy to dig up my personal pictures of both buildings and was hoping Google wouldn't get involved.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Thret » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks! I'll keep some of it to fund a trivia but it may be a while before I can do something like that. I don't really have anything cool or unique that anyone would want to win.
Thret

by Maringue » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 am

Thret wrote:Thanks! I'll keep some of it to fund a trivia but it may be a while before I can do something like that. I don't really have anything cool or unique that anyone would want to win.

It doesn't have to be cool or unique, people just like winning random crap.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Return to Spam Fest