SSD for a boot drive and gaming

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

SSD for a boot drive and gaming

by Maringue » Wed May 09, 2012 12:41 am

What are everyone's thoughts. SSDs are like mad super fast and getting pretty cheap, but I've also heard that there were some initial compatibility issues with some software.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Re: SSD for a boot drive and gaming

by doppelganger » Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 am

I think they're awesome, I have friends who have them and they're great... one thing I wish I had in my rig.
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

by fingerman » Wed May 09, 2012 6:15 am

I have 4 ssds. They are good if you only play one game haha. I have a pci-e 220g, 2x 120g, and a 64 gig I got about 2-3 years ago. The one in my laptop makes it scream. I have not experienced a compatibility issue.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Stolloss » Wed May 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Whether you have an SSD or a hard drive will be completely irrelevant to what software will run. The OS takes care of all hardware interaction unless the program is doing something funny. The issue with SSD's is that they do not hold as much as hard drives (yet) and they will not last as long, but as long as you do backups like you should be doing with any drive, you'll be fine for the second part. The speed of reading/writing and lack of moving parts outweigh the costs for most people.
Stolloss
Donator

by Shotgunbob » Wed May 09, 2012 3:02 pm

Newegg generally has one or two daily deals on a 60-120GB SSD during the week. Personally I still think they are to expensive but if you find one cheap enough its a good investment
Shotgunbob

Return to Spam Fest