For Apple users.

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

For Apple users.

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 am

Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: For Apple users.

by dieinafire » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:54 am

Haha. I have an IPhone4 and love it. What I hate is AT&T. I'm pretty sure the IPhone could do a lot more if AT&T would allow it. Probably part of the reason Apple wants to bail and go to Verizon.
dieinafire
Donator

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:45 pm

You think Apple didn't know what it was getting into with AT&T? Staying with 1 carrier, pushing a network to the brink, then moving to a new one was always in the plan. Verizon will be no better. Both companies were given an F for network expansion and maintenance.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Maringue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:37 pm

I've thought about this for a bit, because my girlfriend wants to get an iPhone4 to replace her total piece of shit phone. She's on Verizon now, so I was wondering why they don't move to Verizon.

1) Apple is lazy.
AT&T is GMS, Verizon is the other technology that every other company runs on, I forget the name. Moving to Verizon would mean designing a new phone. Also, in Europe where the standard is GSM, the iPhone doesn't come attached to shitty AT&T.

2) Americans are stupid
This goes back a little to point 1. The rest of the world runs cell phones on GSM networks. Also, Europe and Asia have had fancy phones for quite some time now so they don't act like Eskimos buying snow from Steve Jobs, only Americans do.

3) AT&T is giving them piles of fucking money.
You can't buy an iPhone without the AT&T contract, but if you could, it's estimated that it would cost about $650. You pay $199 to Apple, then AT&T pays them $451. This is on top of whatever deal they have to deliver gold bricks to Steve Jobs for staying exclusive with AT&T.

4) American Mac users are a cult
When the iPhone5 comes out (why the counting started at 3, who fucking knows. 3G probably, whatever), Steve Jobs could go on national TV and tell everyone that, in order for the new iPhone to work, you need to have your genitals hit with a staple gun 4 times. You get to chose where, but 4 staples must be fired into your crotch. They would still have a fucking line out the door on launch day. People would probably even bring their own staple guns if they thought it would speed up the process, assuming Apple didn't sign an exclusive contract with Craftsman or something. They would still do this even if there was a better phone available that didn't have the genital mutilation requirement.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by supersonic5000 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Maringue wrote:When the iPhone5 comes out (why the counting started at 3, who fucking knows. 3G probably, whatever).

It was called the 3G because it was the first to run on 3G networks and it was only the 2nd generation not the 3rd. That was the 3GS.

I love my iPhone 4 and I'm not an Apple fanboy, tell me what other phone can run First Person Shooters at high res graphics and 60 FPS. That's why I like it, it's like a portable game system; although, I highly doubt it becomes a standard gaming device.
supersonic5000

by NuclearWatermelon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Maringue wrote:I've thought about this for a bit, because my girlfriend wants to get an iPhone4 to replace her total piece of shit phone. She's on Verizon now, so I was wondering why they don't move to Verizon.
Despite what may be believed, no one carrier is 'the best' overall. AT&T boasts a large coverage area, and also large amounts of money to shove at Apple for the exclusivity of the iphone.

Maringue wrote:1) Apple is lazy.
AT&T is GMS, Verizon is the other technology that every other company runs on, I forget the name. Moving to Verizon would mean designing a new phone. Also, in Europe where the standard is GSM, the iPhone doesn't come attached to shitty AT&T.
Verizon uses CDMA, as does Sprint. The rest use various forms of GSM (UTMS, W-CDMA, HSPDA). This really isn't that big a deal for Apple to work around, as all they need to do is buy a network program stack and radio for whatever technology they want to use.

Maringue wrote:2) Americans are stupid
This goes back a little to point 1. The rest of the world runs cell phones on GSM networks. Also, Europe and Asia have had fancy phones for quite some time now so they don't act like Eskimos buying snow from Steve Jobs, only Americans do.
GSM was designed with Europe in mind, that is to say, high densities of users in smaller areas. CDMA was designed with the mid-west in mind, low user density with towers farther away. It can be argued that CDMA does worse than HSPDA GSM in high-density areas, but that is for another day. Point is, the technology it runs on isn't really important aside from the companies paying to sell the iphone.

Maringue wrote:3) AT&T is giving them piles of fucking money.
You can't buy an iPhone without the AT&T contract, but if you could, it's estimated that it would cost about $650. You pay $199 to Apple, then AT&T pays them $451. This is on top of whatever deal they have to deliver gold bricks to Steve Jobs for staying exclusive with AT&T.
No argument here, but in the U.S. this is common, subsidization of phones attached to long contracts that you end up paying more for the phone in the long run with. That's why I bought my phone up-front, then added TMobile.

Also, I just want to get one of my pet peeves over with: Sprint 4G is not 4G. "3G" as a standard is an official term associated with real technical standards. "4G" has not been defined yet beyond theoretical data throughput, and as such anything calling itself 4G is not 4G

I'll stick with my N900, I do so enjoy that phone.
NuclearWatermelon

by VoltySquirrel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Isn't that the Nokia phone with the built in mobile firefox browser?
VoltySquirrel

by NuclearWatermelon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes sir.
NuclearWatermelon

by VoltySquirrel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:40 pm

I was thinking about getting one, but it's only for sale in 2 Nokia stores by T Mobile, so I literally could not get one. Heard it's nice though.
VoltySquirrel

by NuclearWatermelon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Ordered mine online from newegg, then got a SIM from TMobile; much cheaper than subsidized, and it really is a great phone.

Runs everything fast. It certainly out-performs the iphone, HTC Evo, and every other phone I have gotten my hands on to try for everything I want to do; it is the perfect phone for me.

Of course, I ssh and program on it quite a bit, so of course the iphone is not for me, but the gaming on the N900 ain't bad either. (Playing Duke Nukem 3D with a Wii controller, for example, is a lot of fun)
NuclearWatermelon

by Maringue » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Nuke, you'd probably like this page: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
Maringue
Blue Admin

by VoltySquirrel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Funny, yes, but Nuclear's Nokia is actually a touchscreen phone without "tactile response".
VoltySquirrel

by NuclearWatermelon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Maringue wrote:Nuke, you'd probably like this page: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
I remember reading that page a year or so back. I do recall wanting that phone for the SSH capabilities, until I learned that Symbian (which the E70 runs) is rather bad.

And once the N900 came out, everything was wonderful. It does everything I need, everything I want, and more.

VoltySquirrel wrote:Funny, yes, but Nuclear's Nokia is actually a touchscreen phone without "tactile response".
It does have a haptic feedback mechanism, that said I tend to use the physical keyboard when I need to do any actual typing, which is the tactile response some (such as myself) so do enjoy.
NuclearWatermelon

by VoltySquirrel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:05 am

Well the Droid is still a nice device. It has a nice touchscreen with all the apps you need plus an actually fucking keyboard and it's on Verizon. Too bad I don't have Verizon. :(
VoltySquirrel

by NuclearWatermelon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:59 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:Well the Droid is still a nice device. It has a nice touchscreen with all the apps you need plus an actually fucking keyboard and it's on Verizon. Too bad I don't have Verizon. :(
I have a keyboardd, but last I checked it does not have sex.
NuclearWatermelon

Return to Spam Fest