Physics makes Volty's thinking box hurt.

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Physics makes Volty's thinking box hurt.

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:12 am

It's bullshit that I have to take a 11th/12th grade course because my old high school thought we needed the "challenge". I'm actually pretty damn good at math, but the fact that physics has over 9000 equations and almost all are really conceptual, I start to suck. FML
VoltySquirrel

Re: Physics makes Volty's thinking box hurt.

by Maringue » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:24 am

Calculus bro, it will set you free. In high school they had two AP physics tracks, one that used physics (theoretically the harder one) and one that didn't. Talking to the people in the non-calculus based class, it was actually harder because calculus was designed to solve physics problems.

When I took physics with calculus, there were only 3 equations that we had to memorize, and they were pretty easy.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by squar3d » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:32 pm

If I could get a BA in Physics, then you surely will be able to survive. Here's a little primer:

Essentials:
1:Algebra: It's the fundamentals of Calc and Physics, you should be comfortable with it. (Calc is also pretty nice too (hint: most of those equations are derivatives and splicing/rearranging)
2.Check your units. no really, check em right now. (the easiest way to find mistakes hands down)
3. Have contempt for the symbols. HAVE CONTEMPT FOR THE SYMBOLS. It's just a letter, so you don't get lost. Generally certain letters are used more often for certain equations, but its not life or death here. Symbols/Lettering/Naming Conventions are more like a set of guidelines anyways.

Generally speaking each test is over a specific region like kinematics, rotational kinematics , energy, electrodynamics. Therefore, you only need to know a small set of equations at any one time. Memorize them and then at the start of the problem write them all down, then just start shuffling to solve for what you need.

maybe that'll help...
squar3d
Donator

by VoltySquirrel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:57 am

Well, this new teacher of mine has made it a tad easier, since he spends a class focusing on one part of a concept instead of 1 or 2 on the whole topic.
VoltySquirrel

by Vivi Hill » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 am

When I was in HS, my physics teacher was hands down the awesomest guy (and I had some excellent teachers at my crazy school). He headed my robotics club as well, so we became good friends. I could probably truthfully say he was the one who inspired me to become an engineer. A couple weeks ago in fact he sent me this video, which I found quite amusing.

I wanna be an engineer

"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Return to Spam Fest