Future of CSN: A Grand Misguided Plan (Maybe)

Announcements and news related to Crit Sandvich.

Future of CSN: A Grand Misguided Plan (Maybe)

by Failhorse » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Edit. If interested in helping out with the new games. Make yourself known in this server. You don't have to be a TF2 admin to help out, or possibly admin the other games. I'll add you to the list at the bottom of this first post.

A while back we asked the Admin base where they were. We saw a drop in TF2 'popularity.' And it wasn't TF2. It was our long term players and admins who help populate the servers every day graduate to other games. There's nothing wrong with this. But if we are to survive we must adapt. So I have come up with a plan, or guide for the future of the community. And that starts with other games. When the community was young we tried to expand into other games, but didn't really have the player base to support multiple platforms. Years later, and plenty of open space on our servers. We're trying it again. Everyone who plays on our servers, play other games. Now it's time to connect them all. If not via hosting a server itself, but expanding our forum/ blog to cater to all things not Source.

All MOTD's in all servers have been brought back to the original. No more elite group. Focusing on the website is better.

And we need your help!

Here's my thoughts.

TF2 -
Not looking to really change much. Yes we're down on population now, but we have Halloween coming up. This will draw a lot of traffic to the servers, and give us a new opportunity to win people over. For existing admins and regulars who have moved on. Come help us out for a bit. You're going to play anyway. Let's shepherd a new group of fresh young blood to CSN and brainwash them into thinking popping is a fun task.

Current TF2 plans.
1) Stick through Halloween. After, depending on server usage change things up a bit
2) Possibly disband the Elite group. We use it, but 96% of those in the group aren't active. Start a new one.
3) During Halloween move Snow's and SB2 over to Halloween maps
4) Find some new blood. Especially for Westbox.
5) Recruit a min. of 10 new admins.
6) Remember empty servers mean no donations. Which is our primary source of server funding.

CS:GO
When CS:GO came out it was getting beat by Source on a daily basis. Just too different for the hardcore player. 7 months later, people have adapted and for the first time CS:GO is beating Source in players. Our server(s) have existed. But we've never had anyone to really pay attention to them. They sat out of date, ect ect. They were also improperly configured for classic comp. The server is now updated and properly config'd.

Current CS:GO plans
1) Find a 'redmin' for CS:GO. This person will be responsible for building and tweaking the server.
2) This person will be responsible for building the admin base on the server.
3) This person will get the 'blah's CS:Go chicago slaybox. Congrats your famous!
4) Otherwise it should be easy to fill with 4-5 people playing now. Bots were added to follow the setup of Valve servers.

Minecraft
We never really took Minecraft seriously in the community. This is going to change. We're going to host a proper server with the proper mods. Including stuff for donors.

Current Minecraft plans
1) Find 2 people. 1 'redmin' type person. And 1 person who understands server architecture and modding. The latter doesn't need to know how to mod. Just understand how they work. What is the right thing to have, and how to adapt it to our community.
2) Having a proper server.
3) more to come. Don't own the game. Don't understand.

Terraria

Pending how much resources a server uses now, we'll put one back up.

Current Terraria plans
1) Having a 'redmin' type person in charge.
2) There are mods for the game. Including donor benefits. We'll use those to our advantage.

Natural Selection 2
OK why this game? Well the game is actually really good. It just got and update, and had a bad rap for awhile. There are plenty of maps now, and a very devoted group of players. And game mods. It makes sense for us to do someone odd. It doesn't hurt anyway.

Current NS2 plans
1) Open server.
2) The few that own the game will try to draw traffic. Perhaps a clan or group of regulars to take over the server.

DayZ -standalone-
This game will be huge. For the MOD i could probably bring in 20-30 people on principal. But the MOD is full of problems and overall it's not worth it to host. So we wait for the standalone, and hope it has the same potential for server mods as the MOD does. MOD MOD MOD MOD. You need an admin on 24-7 to stop hackers. Or stay private which is very hard to pop, obviously. But the donation potential for the MOD is huge. Again, not worth it.

Current Dayz Standalone plans

1) wait for game to come out.
2) Open server
3) Profit.

Chivalry -game-
Not really sure on this one. But there are dedicated servers, and community interest.

Current Chivalry plans
1) Someone with this game will have to take charge. Finding game mods, ect. ect.

Website plans
We need to expand our non-gaming options. As in chat, funny threads ect. Someone will be elected to make this happen.

Admin plans
No admin will get fired unless they do something stupid. If you've moved on. Resign or let us know. Just so we know we have an open spot. Otherwise sit tight. We may expand into other games when it's offered up as a good idea.

I do think we need to get rid of the separation of admins. Fun/ Slaybox. Doesn't matter to me. You all care about the community and help each other out. We always had this no admin level rule. Everyone here is mature enough to know how to act in said server. Thoughts?

Donation plans as we expand.
We're going to offer something special here. Less random Minecraft things. The $5 donation will stick to all games. No other community does this. Start playing TF2. Donate for that. Then buy NS2? Yes you have a reserved slot. Congrats!

::::Game Supporters::::

TF2
-given-

CS:GO
Rosey
Dunn
cloud

Minecraft
Repoman
Harri
Thomas The Train

Terraria
megamoose
cloud

NS2
HausOfJoel

Chivalry
Legendary
HausOfJoel
GoDM1N
cloud

DayZ Standalone
ToeKnee

OK now rage at me.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Future of CSN: A Grand Misguided Plan (Maybe)

by Rosey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm

I offer up Dunn and I for the CSGO position, we usually play the game regularly enough. Though I don't know where he's been lately
Rosey
Blue Admin

by that shiny mudkip » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:32 pm

"Let's shepherd a new group of fresh young blood to CSN and brainwash them into thinking popping is a fun task."
well said.
"4) Find some new blood. Especially for Westbox.
5) Recruit a min. of 10 new admins. "
4. I need more westbox buddies to pop the server with
5. I think 10 new admins might be too excessive because I believe that we already have a good amount of admins that are usually online and playing
that shiny mudkip
Blue Admin

by Toeknee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Sounds good! I am interested in The Dayz Standalone. I will be happy to help with anything if needed.
Toeknee
Blue Admin
I give Mustache Rides!

by Failhorse » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Repoman wrote:Also, I could mod the minecraft server, or maintain bukkit on it. Ive done it before and Ive done it with friends on personal servers. Its not hard to do, just alot of trial and error. But I could get it running to where we have all the essential plugins to make it a decent server.

Anyone being helpful on the minecraft would be exceptionally wonderful. I don't own it, nor have i ever looked at any mods.

on the 10 admins. That may be too few. Seems like a lot, but our expectations of how active someone is is nil.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Failhorse » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Chivalry added. Also added a list to the bottom of the first thread to keep track of players interested in helping out.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by HausOfJoel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:09 pm

NS2 seems like a good idea, I wouldn't mind helping out with that or chivalry.
HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

by Arty_pn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Sounds good when are the new servers being implemented?
Arty_pn

by megamoose » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 pm

If I may say something, I like the general standards of your plan Failhorse. Sorry to say, but maybe reduce the admin cut to 8, because as people have previously said, we have a lot of slaybox admins and a lot of funbox admins. Also, separation of them may sometimes be necessary, because in my history, some-little blue admins like me, and there is always trouble when I go to a slaybox server...

Also, a terraria server would be great, time to start learning it again.
megamoose
Donator

by Balubish » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:06 am

Well you will still have me at TF2, don't play any of the other games. And I know there are atleast 4 trial admins and have been for a while, maybe they are at the point of beeing a real admin for your 10+ admins?

I Just found this PC build and got nothing to do with the thread.
Last edited by Balubish on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by GoDM1N » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:24 am

I'd play on a Chivalry server for sure.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Harri » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:56 pm

I'll help with the website. I've been trying to previously and got side tracked. I will continue to support tf2, I'll pick up chivalry again, and I'll get in on Minecraft again. Maybe terreria. Maybe dayZ. I might rotate throughout the weekend. I'll be that floating admin.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Thomas The Train » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:00 pm

I would love a MC server. I have found many in the past but the admins suck balls.

I would also love a chiv server.

I also would help with the CS GO server if needed.
Thomas The Train
Donator

by cloud » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:41 am

I'd play on a terraria server, CSGO, and chivalry.
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by Ron Swansons Stache » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

I've owned Minecraft since Alpha, but my play time has seriously plummeted in the past year or two, mostly for lack of community. I would be happy to try and help pop a server if need be, but I have been on a CRAZY TF2 binge lately..That said, I don't really mess with mods so as of right now at least I couldn't be a huge help.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Galactic Toast » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 pm

What type of mods would be on the minecraft server?
Galactic Toast
Donator

by Beartato » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:03 pm

I'd play the Terraria from time to time. I have some friends into it and I can see if they'd want to jump from our dedicated server over to a CSn one at the end of this month. They're looking to be involved in the competitive scene so we could possibly get the server involved in that.

Also, we should look into getting more people into the Mumble. It's a great place for fostering the community and about ha;f the people who use it nowadays don't play on CSn much anymore.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by Toeknee » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Throw me on the GO list as well. I would be happy to help pop and would play if people were playing.
Toeknee
Blue Admin
I give Mustache Rides!

by GoDM1N » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:26 am

GoDM1N
Donator

by Ron Swansons Stache » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:36 am

GoDM1N wrote:Image

Ha, I don't play Chivalry but this is fantastic!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Ron Swansons Stache » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Galactic Toast wrote:What type of mods would be on the minecraft server?

To further this, how would we handle maps/updates? Would this be a server that updates per major update, per snapshot, or just when we run out of room/resources?
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Ninja » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:43 pm

I normally update per every major update, snap shots are confusing for my ftp.
As for maps i don't like resetting them if i don't need to, i will if there is new ores or such that needs a map reset for them to be available.

As for mods we have been thinking simple mods like, disabling fire (so no one can greif) also disabling tnt and creeper explosions (they will still hurt but won't kill your house)
Repo has also suggested an rpg mod so as you mine or do anything, it will level it up and get things like enchants (but it is tied to you rather than weapons).

I am up for suggestions if you guys want anything else.

And I would also like to recruit people to help build a spawn house, when ever we need to reset the map next
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by Someone Special » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Ninja wrote:I normally update per every major update, snap shots are confusing for my ftp.
As for maps i don't like resetting them if i don't need to, i will if there is new ores or such that needs a map reset for them to be available.

As for mods we have been thinking simple mods like, disabling fire (so no one can greif) also disabling tnt and creeper explosions (they will still hurt but won't kill your house)
Repo has also suggested an rpg mod so as you mine or do anything, it will level it up and get things like enchants (but it is tied to you rather than weapons).

And I would also like to recruit people to help build a spawn house, when ever we need to reset the map next

I wouldn't mind helping ^-^
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by Galactic Toast » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Ninja wrote:I normally update per every major update, snap shots are confusing for my ftp.

Bukkit and grief prevention sounds like a good choice. I'd love to help build spawn.
Galactic Toast
Donator

by HausOfJoel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Ninja wrote:And I would also like to recruit people to help build a spawn house, when ever we need to reset the map next

I would offer my help, but you probably don't want any cats :P (also i lack basic building skills)
HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

by Ron Swansons Stache » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 pm

That reminds me! I joined and looked around for a few minutes the other day and spawn was just in a random field with no markings or anything. Good call on building it up, or at least giving some structure to denote it's spawn.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Marni » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Please PLLLLEEEAAASSEEEEEEE make an NS2 server. Ive been playing since NS1 and have been super disapointed in the NS2 comuinty. I'll be your number 1 Server popper if you get a ns2 server up and running.
Marni

by Ron Swansons Stache » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 am

Marni wrote:Please PLLLLEEEAAASSEEEEEEE make an NS2 server. Ive been playing since NS1 and have been super disapointed in the NS2 comuinty. I'll be your number 1 Server popper if you get a ns2 server up and running.

So the NS2 spokesperson steps up in the forums as well..
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by UncleTestes » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:56 am

I've gotten good with a software called MCEdit, which is a free Minecraft world editing software.

I'd be happy to make and edit maps for you guys. And if things like ores or biomes are added, I can use the software to repopulate the map with them without the need to reset it and get rid of all of our structures and whatnot.

When it's time, you can copy the map folders and compress/email or Dropbox them to me.

Right now, they're adding Flower biomes, I believe.
UncleTestes
Donator

by WET BUTT DISEASE » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:31 pm

this is more of a sidenote that isn't as bad as it used to be but still:

it's great that people use mumble/vent in TF2 - awesome

but at the end of the day, it bisects the community into "pub mic havers" and "people with enough time and effort to turn on mumble/vent"

i mean, in theory it's just a subset of tf2 fun havers but when people are in mumble, in-game chat usually dies down quite a bit and anyone who mentions it being quiet is told "get on mumble". it's blatantly obvious when people are in mumble and not standard chat. granted i haven't used mumble in awhile, but most of the fun random banter can fit with in-game voice chat 99% of the time.

even with a bunch of people (semi-new), you'll have some who play once or twice and never come back because the server feels empty when nobody talks even if it's at 24/24.
WET BUTT DISEASE

by Repoman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:08 pm

I went on our mumble and was constantly insulted and trolled. The CsN mumble has sort of a bad vibe.
Repoman

by GoDM1N » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:37 pm

WET BUTT DISEASE wrote:this is more of a sidenote that isn't as bad as it used to be but still:

it's great that people use mumble/vent in TF2 - awesome

but at the end of the day, it bisects the community into "pub mic havers" and "people with enough time and effort to turn on mumble/vent"

i mean, in theory it's just a subset of tf2 fun havers but when people are in mumble, in-game chat usually dies down quite a bit and anyone who mentions it being quiet is told "get on mumble". it's blatantly obvious when people are in mumble and not standard chat. granted i haven't used mumble in awhile, but most of the fun random banter can fit with in-game voice chat 99% of the time.

even with a bunch of people (semi-new), you'll have some who play once or twice and never come back because the server feels empty when nobody talks even if it's at 24/24.

I've thought this myself. I have no problem with people using it, but I'm not really a supporter of it. Seems it causes more drama than anything. This said, it is nice to have a VOIP for general use when not in a CSn server, like when playing a different game or something that might not have voice chat.
GoDM1N
Donator

by Beartato » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Repoman wrote:I went on our mumble and was constantly insulted and trolled. The CsN mumble has sort of a bad vibe.

Totally does, but it didn't used to be that way. But sadly the kids who want so hard to preserve their e-space for their clique have been winning the battle. And most of them don't even do anything on CSn servers anymore.

GoDM1N wrote:
WET BUTT DISEASE wrote:wrote a bunch of stuff

I've thought this myself. I have no problem with people using it, but I'm not really a supporter of it. Seems it causes more drama than anything. This said, it is nice to have a VOIP for general use when not in a CSn server, like when playing a different game or something that might not have voice chat.

You both raise good points. But if we're gonna have a Terraria server, the existing Mumble server would be a nice VOIP option. :)
Beartato

by Dravved » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Beartato wrote:
Repoman wrote:I went on our mumble and was constantly insulted and trolled. The CsN mumble has sort of a bad vibe.

Totally does, but it didn't used to be that way. But sadly the kids who want so hard to preserve their e-space for their clique have been winning the battle. And most of them don't even do anything on CSn servers anymore.

Chris I really hope you're being sarcastic. Like actually. You are just as much apart of the mumble as the rest of us.
Dravved

by Dravved » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 pm

You joined claiming to be drunk and spewing memes while talking about how you make up reasons to kick people you don't like from LoveNest. Of course we gave you shit. You are literally the embodiment of everything that is wrong with this community.
Dravved

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 am

I don't think I've ever been on CSN's mumble (I rarely use a mic, and the one I have is pretty awful anyway), but from my past a communities mumbles/teamspeak have been very 'clique'-y.

Best example of this being a new person joins or just a random person that happened to see the Mumble MOTD joins and everyone kind of is like 'Uhh, who the hell is this guy?' Not very welcoming. Again, I have no idea what CSN's mumble is like, just drawing from past experiences.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by UncleTestes » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:02 am

whoa

sudden drama

So, back to Minecraft?
UncleTestes
Donator

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:24 am

UncleTestes wrote:whoa

sudden drama

So, back to Minecraft?

They fixed boat controls! WASD in the latest snapshot! Yaaay!

Also, hilarious new Pufferfish texture: Image
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by WET BUTT DISEASE » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:08 pm

i played "internet legos" and just felt like a dumb idiot child for not making some weird arbitrary cool thing so i went and made some ribs
WET BUTT DISEASE

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:45 pm

WET BUTT DISEASE wrote:i played "internet legos" and just felt like a dumb idiot child for not making some weird arbitrary cool thing so i went and made some ribs

That's the problem with Minecraft for me as well, everyone always makes me feel like shit because I'm not terribly talented at building/making red stone so I just log off and masturbate instead.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Repoman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Dravved wrote:

You joined claiming to be drunk and spewing memes while talking about how you make up reasons to kick people you don't like from LoveNest. Of course we gave you shit. You are literally the embodiment of everything that is wrong with this community.

I joined, and immediately was called a butthole virgin among other insults. I told you in the most polite manner that I would get rid of the ban, and I worked for two hours and got rid of it for you. RIGHT after I fixed the ban you went off on a tangent and starting calling me names and swearing at me again.

Hypocrite.
Repoman

by Dravved » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:44 am

I have an hour long recording that says otherwise. I'll make sure to upload it to Dropbox or Soundcloud in the morning.
Dravved

by UncleTestes » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:41 am

Guys, can we maybe start a new thread for Mumble, or if it already exists, move the argument there?

WET BUTT DISEASE wrote:i played "internet legos" and just felt like a dumb idiot child for not making some weird arbitrary cool thing so i went and made some ribs

I like to make weird arbitrary cool things with MCEdit. In particular I'm trying to make a bit of an adventure map just for shits and giggles.
UncleTestes
Donator

by Ron Swansons Stache » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm

UncleTestes wrote:Guys, can we maybe start a new thread for Mumble, or if it already exists, move the argument there?

I like to make weird arbitrary cool things with MCEdit. In particular I'm trying to make a bit of an adventure map just for shits and giggles.

That's something I want to get into. I can't build stuff from scratch for just building a building, but I think I can spark creativity but going for a map. Again though, the stuff other people make is just so damn intimidating.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Beartato » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Dravved wrote:
Beartato wrote:

Chris I really hope you're being sarcastic. Like actually. You are just as much apart of the mumble as the rest of us.

When's the last time you saw me on mumble?
Beartato

by Dravved » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Beartato wrote:When's the last time you saw me on mumble?

Right about the last time you were fun to play with and talk to. We miss you bro.
Dravved

Return to News