Natural Selection 2 - Should we?

Announcements and news related to Crit Sandvich.

Natural Selection 2 - Should we?

by Failhorse » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:13 pm

This game is a Source Game, so it would function on our current servers wonderfully.
Website here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/

Natural Selection 2 is a combo game. First person shooter, plus some RTS elements. Your team is led by a commander. Either 'Space Marines' or Aliens must take over a space station. The commander oversees the team, placing upgrades, ammo, and power implements to take parts of the station back. The rest of team makes it happen.

Since it's a source game. This would be a good game to attempt to expand with. We can run our own dedicated server. And the game is cheap and MOD friendly.

Probably better to show a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RhNJQRr88

Thoughts?
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Natural Selection 2 - Should we?

by Nikki Wolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 pm

I've had this game for months now, but haven't really got around to playing it. But if I'm not mistaken, the devs switched from Source to a proprietary engine during the game's development. Nonetheless, if CSn gets its own NS2 server, I'll play it with some fellow members/admins :O
Nikki Wolf

by Failhorse » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Even if it's not source, it still uses steam cmd for updates/maintenance. So it'd be really easy for us redmin's who don't own the game to maintain.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Nikki Wolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Failhorse wrote:Even if it's not source, it still uses steam cmd for updates/maintenance. So it'd be really easy for us redmin's who don't own the game to maintain.

This is true. Hopefully, the admin stuff won't be as difficult as it was with the BF3 servers we had. I could never get those commands to work at all.
Nikki Wolf

by Preminicious » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:09 pm

I'll play devil's advocate here.

Game's dead. For a single player game 1,200 people playing peak is okay but for a multiplayer it's borderline disappointing. Hell, even Half-Life 2 has more people playing per day than NS2. I'm not saying it's not a fun game; I've had plenty of fun with it. Looking at the player base, however, I can't say dedicating a server towards a game that basically nobody plays is a waste of time and effort, not to mention a server. Especially since it's pay-to-own and multiplayer exclusive, quite frankly there won't be any new influx of players, considering the game went on sale during the summer sale and it barely made a dent in player base.

Just my two cents. I would've supported full on when the game first came out, but now it's just beating a dead horse.
Preminicious
Donator

by Fencerboy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:55 pm

i played this game at PAX this year.

It's so fun.
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by Failhorse » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm

There are some things changing soon that will bring people to the game. That's why i brought it up.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Eh, now that I think about it: We do have the ability to start a server, but how long will it really last?

We've had servers for MW3, BF3, Killing Floor, MGE/Custom maps, Terraria, and MvM, and nobody really played on them much after they were out. We still have servers up for CS:GO, stock/custom Payload, and Minecraft. I don't know about the MC one, but I don't see any activity on the other two servers at all. I think a NS2 server will just flop as soon as the other servers, unless there are people here that really want to play the game a short while after the servers go live, if they do go live. As much as I want a NS2 server to play on with people I'm pretty much familiar with, I think the number of interested people is rather small.

Not trying to stir up any controversy or anything, but that's kinda just how I feel about this right now.
Nikki Wolf

by Failhorse » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:51 pm

MW3 and BF3 were from a previous community, well by name, and actually paid for by those who wanted the game, separately from everything else.
They didn't play enough to actually build anything, and it's near impossible to build communities in those games.

Killing Floor served its purpose. Was meant just for the halloween special thingy.

MVM and Terraria also served their purpose. MVM died when people stopped giving a shit about it. And Terra was popular but we killed it cause the dedicated server was Java, and in alpha state, using 4x the resources as a tf2 server.

Minecraft is doing fine.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Return to News