Cue Food Thread

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Re: Cue Food Thread

Postby Rumors » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:51 am

flufffage wrote:
we make our own horseradish saus and "can" it (the FDA hasn't found a way to successfully - read: safely - can horseradish with home canning equipment i.e. traditional water bath or pressure canner, so even though the jars are sealed, the stuff can still go bad - usually lasts like 2 months in fridge or so- we froze a jar of the last batch so idk how that'll turn out lol its an adventure!!!)

its basically 2 lbs fresh/crisp horseradish root(farmers market) which grates to about 2 c grated (i cry when this happens. i cry lodz. #worhtit)
1/4 tsp powdered ascorbic acid (FruitFresh brand or something idk)
1 c white vinegar (you can also use lemon juice- i recommend this if you eat lodz of fish)
1/2 tsp canning/pickling salt (optional- besides flavor it helps with and color and pungency)

its easy, just wash trim and grate the horseradish and mix in the acid and salt. The vinegar stops the heat from developing, so depending on how spicy/hot you want the horseradish to be, let it sit in fridge for like 30 min to an hour if you like it hottttt (we do like 20 ish min usually), then ur good to seal them jars and enjoyyyyy. oh btw this yields about one pint jar, I'd recommend not making bigger batches (unless you know you'll use it quickly) as the pungency fades over time.

Yeah, if it instantly brings a tear to my eye when I open the jar I know I'm in for some heat :P

I'd like to try canning on my own sometime, just worried I'd do it wrong and mess the canning up and make myself and potentially others sick. One of our neighbors gives us some of her horseradish semi-regularly. So good on sandwiches, brats, yum.

The stuff I see in stores is weird. It says it is horseradish but its not true horseradish. Full of preservatives and other stuff because yeah, goes bad quick. Good in a pinch, but its just not the same. Kinda like homemade saurkraut compared to store bought.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Rumors
Donator
Penndragoon

Postby flufffage » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am

Rumors wrote:I'd like to try canning on my own sometime, just worried I'd do it wrong and mess the canning up and make myself and potentially others sick. One of our neighbors gives us some of her horseradish semi-regularly. So good on sandwiches, brats, yum.

If you're nervous about canning its fine. this recipe works without the canning process, just make the radish and put it in some airtight container in the fridge, use within 2 months.
Flufffage wrote:the FDA hasn't found a way to successfully - read: safely - can horseradish with home canning equipment i.e. traditional water bath or pressure canner, so even though the jars are sealed, the stuff can still go bad
#opinions
pinkmins more like saltmins amirite
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

Postby yasha » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Oatmeal Carmelita Bars

Recipe

My suggestions: On step three, use an tabletop mixer instead of a hand mixer because you're going to be mixing the brown sugar and butter for about 12 minutes instead of the recommended three. For the baking times, add about 7 minutes to each; probably even more time on the second bake. Lastly, while the recipe asks for caramel candies, get caramel in a form that you don't spend 7 minutes unwrapping every individual candy instead of stirring them into a sauce.

Otherwise it tastes pretty good, could've used more time in the refrigerator though as the caramel sauce was still a bit too gooey even after two hours.
yasha
Donator

Postby Rumors » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:28 pm

Breaded boneless pork chips with homemade mashed potatoes and bean casserole.
I like to trim the fat off the pork chops and marinate for a bit before breading. I usually use bread crumbs or crunched up cornflakes for breading but I used boxed breading this time. ^_^
Homemade mashed taters is simply the best, yum. I like to add beef or chicken broth when I'm mashing the potatoes. potatoespotatoes

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Rumors
Donator
Penndragoon

Postby disengage » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Russian Tea Cakes

Only the second time I've baked cookies from scratch. (baking scares me)

Flavor wise these were great. The texture was different. Maybe I'm not used to these type of cookies.

Affogato

Busted out my espresso machine recently. This is simply a double shot of espresso pulled directly over ice cream (vanilla in this case).

Easily one of my favorite deserts. Rich, creamy, decadent.

disengage
Donator

Postby Hooked » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:37 am

Made some humus and pita the other day. Humus was rather lackluster, but the pitas were on point.

Hooked

Postby flufffage » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:01 pm

CHRISTMAS
Simple egg/bacon strata. Oh this was fantastic omg.
French Toast Casserole, also very good, but I ate more strata.
Swedish Rice Pudding (I can't spell the Swedish name to save my life)
Nice brunch setting for 7. Also a "winter fruit salad", with a lime-mint dressing, chocolate cranberry scones and lefse.

Bonus: Christmas Tea for Two
Honey Ginger Scones
Egg Salad and Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Shrewsbury Cakes (light sugar cookies flavored with rosewater and nutmeg, got a little heavy on the rose whoops)
Smoked Mozzarella Crockpot Fondue
#opinions
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

Postby that shiny mudkip » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:33 pm

flufffage wrote:CHRISTMAS

what about egg. did u forget egg
that shiny mudkip
Blue Admin

Postby flufffage » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:53 pm

that shiny mudkip wrote:
flufffage wrote:CHRISTMAS

what about egg. did u forget egg

I never forget egg.
omg i totally didn't just start a food blog nope http://flufffbirdcooks.tumblr.com/
#opinions
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

Postby Rumors » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:29 am

flufffage wrote:FOOD EXPLOSION

Yummm that strata looks amazing. I'll have to try making that some time.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Rumors
Donator
Penndragoon

PreviousNext

Return to Spam Fest