Community support: Computer building mega thread

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Re: Community support: Computer building mega thread

Postby Balubish » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:40 pm

I havent OC stuff so long but can someone explain this maybe? I got lower score with higher OC on the graphics card but 200Mhz lower clock on the CPU. Does it do that much really with lower CPU clock?
Its 3D mark and are designed for mostly 3D rendering or am I wrong about that?

Before Score: Now Score:
Firestrike 9915 Firestrike : 8884
Sky Diver 26755 Sky Diver : 24266
Cloudgate 28371 Cloudgate : 27757
Ice Storm 180263 Ice Storm : 173108

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

Postby DerKrieger105 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:24 am

Balubish wrote:I havent OC stuff so long but can someone explain this maybe? I got lower score with higher OC on the graphics card but 200Mhz lower clock on the CPU. Does it do that much really with lower CPU clock?
Its 3D mark and are designed for mostly 3D rendering or am I wrong about that?

Before Score: Now Score:
Firestrike 9915 Firestrike : 8884
Sky Diver 26755 Sky Diver : 24266
Cloudgate 28371 Cloudgate : 27757
Ice Storm 180263 Ice Storm : 173108

Well, CPU speed is an important factor no matter what you are doing but I wouldn't expect it to lower it that much. You're higher GPU OC may be a little unstabel and be throwing off errors that are hurting performance. Lower the GPU OC and retest.
CSn Bluemin- I'm pretentious and never leave the mic.

DerKrieger105
Blue Admin

Postby Balubish » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:18 am

Thanks man. It actually was 2 factors. Voltage and to much OC. Weird, it was stable but must have been trottleing.
I didnt notice and problems gaming and have worked fine. Core OC +165Mhz and Mem OC +0Mhz.
So now I lowered the voltage from 1.312v (Max) to 1.287v. And just lowering the voltage helped with the same clock. But I tweaked more with it and
lowered the core clock to +135Mhz instead and +80Mhz on the memory and got better results. And mem for my card doesnt help that much and +60-80Mhz
seems to be the sweet spot, hmm. Read so much about ppl OC the mem 1Ghz and more.
Well Im happy anyways and thanks for the tip Krieger and will test some other major different settings and see how it goes.

EditI did test changing the CPU clock and tested between 4.4Ghz and 4.8Ghz and actually was few 100 points on firestrike, so the CPU actually do alot too.

Balubish
Donator

Postby UncleTestes » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:15 pm

Apologies in advance if this doesn't go here, but I have a little trouble with a gaming mouse I just bought.

I paid $35 for a Utechsmart Venus 1000-16400 DPI gaming mouse. I mainly bought it because of the 12 buttons on the side. The last mouse I had only had 2 mouse buttons, and in TF2 I used them to change my FOV on the fly, with the commands "bind mouse4 fov_desired 75" and "bind mouse5 fov_desired 90". But this new mouse's side buttons seem only to duplicate the top row of keyboard keys. Here, I'll press them for you in order:

1234567890+-

Is there a way to change it so that the buttons count as mouse buttons, like mouse5 or mouse11, etc? The mouse came with some driver software but it allows for reprogramming of every button except for the side buttons. (Hell, you can even turn the DPI buttons into something else. The damn thing has a built-in macro editor but can't reprogram side buttons.)
UncleTestes
Donator

Postby Balubish » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:32 am

Still holding up. First Windows 10 benchmark. Sadly I get more score on the CPU thanks to the OC than the GPU. I thought GTX 780 would have some power, combined yeah, alone average.

Anyone know other Windows 10 3D benchmarks? Cause Heaven and Valley doesnt work for some reason ??? Also a DX12 test that is free would be awesome if someone had a tip on that...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/10153784?

Balubish
Donator

Postby Balubish » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:29 am

Do you even Sim?

Balubish
Donator

Postby L0wsound » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:06 am

Balubish wrote:Do you even Sim?

Can you imagine how quickly that room would warm up? Or how much radiation that chair receives..
L0wsound

Postby Balubish » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:57 am

So for you who dont know I have spent $2000 bucks on my PC this year and this monday I added 1100 to that total. New mobo, CPU and Ram. Main reason render time.

So I managed to get the new CPU to 4.4GHz on each core. Problem is I miss an extra power connector from the PSU so I might melt that cable if im not careful that are plugged in now.
X99 aquire aparently both 8pin+4pin CPU power and one 8pin is 75watts, and with the OC the CPU draws around 120watts, oops. Max TDP is 140Watt.

But to show off some nice benchmarks how it perform. And hopefully now render time will go down alot. I have done some test renders but but are not done yet in testing, I spent like 4-5 hours yesterday just trying to figure out whats best OC, also dialing up the Ram to 3200Mhz and in quadchannel was bit new to me so that took like 1,5 hours until i figured it out aswell. Bios settings you can do on this platform is insane really.

Still trying to figure out with actually a reddit post aswell what high end CPU's can take as voltage if its the same or if its higher, cause the damn meter is possible to drag up all the way up to 2.8Volts and stock is around 1.15volts.

So now to some benchmarks:
With an OC of 4.4Ghz on all cores and stock GPU this was the result in 3D Mark Firestrike.
And to go from 4cores 4threads at 4.6Ghz to 6cores 12threads at 4.4 i gained atleast in Firestrike 2000more overall points. And around 6000 more points in physics. So if you love games like Diablo, StarCraft I guess I would benefit alot. I will test that for sure, not that I needed faster though cause im fine at 60fps on those games anyways.

CPU-Z Benchmark with same settings.

So with a nice OC this chip is very capable. But you will need a really good cooling. On some cores I hit just above +70C° at 4.4-4.5GHz on some cores. 160F° for you who dont understand normal temps ;)
The short time I have spent so far test render videos in 4K @ 60fps it still takes time for sure, and between stock 3.4Ghz and 4.4Ghz is massive speed boost as you can see in the CPU benchmark compared to stock when it comes to solve calculation. The render speed to the drive is basicly 5-10MB/s which is insane. So at stock clocks 60fps video at 4K that are 30min long at stock clocks take around double the length of the clip to render. At 4.4Ghz though it takes just a little more than the clip length and it depends on what bitrate your rendering at.

Youtube for some reason want you to upload 50mbit/s videos at 4K but I try to stay around 18-20Mbit which still makes the file massive I think but still alot of compression with still pretty nice quality.
Im still learning in this area. I tried render a 30fps 2560x1440p video and it basicly rendered it just a bit shorter time than the clip length itself, pretty impressive.

So this is what you get for 1100bucks in premiere pro :P Sadly its stupid you need to spend that money to render a damn video in a reasonable time though.
But beeing a massive nerd as i like to spend money on something I enjoy and have as a hobby.

Hope this is interesting to some how a pretty high end CPU effects ur PC. I will do some gaming benchmarks on my channel aswell. But when it comes to most games higher CPU speed is worth more actually.
And overall there is quite alot for me to learn about this newer platform and jumping from a 2012 motherboard. For example I tried ASUS Rog Ram Cache that allows you to run for a certain amount of RAM
as a cache for that drive you choose and it will learn wich programs you use most on C: for example that is an SSD, I had around 350mb/s read/write i think. With with ram cache I got 7000-8000MB/s read/write speed using a 2GB sized file. Im trying to see if I can use it for video editing but right now I havent seen any difference and need to do some more testing. But that speed is fucking crazy.

And if someone knows anything about Premiere Pro, why dont I see any difference in either prioritizing mem or performance, non of them do any noticable difference to render time, atleast not what i've seen so far.

Balubish
Donator

Postby Balubish » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 pm

So I thought my PSU died on me the other day. It was not the problem. After installing a new one yesterday I learned that.
I have never had this issue over my 20 years or so PC background, but when i buy high-end products it fucking happens.
Keep in mind the PC made Sudoku by itself. I never turn off my PC's and it have been running fine since October and when I got home the other day it was dead.

You would think that higher end prices and products would be better in both performance and quality right, well I got buttfucked on that thought.'
So after installing the new PSU the PC was still stuck in Pre-Post loop, starting up for less than a second and then turned off right away,
so fast not even the fans have the time to spin up to max rpm. So for the first time in a very long time I had to open the fucking manual, Odin that pissed me off.
X99 platform is new to me so I kinda had too. So on higher end motherboards you usually nowadays have a Q-code display such as this picture.

The problem is only shows whats wrong "if" the PC is still alive and running, FUCK! Back to the faulty checkup again.
I tested my second thing that never happened to me but had to check it just because its a common thing for others, remove the ram sticks and tried different orders.

WTF! Problem still there!!

Back to the fucking manual. Found a clear mem pin you can short out to make it clear the bios mem "I think", and yes I did also try remove the MB battery couple of times.

Still no luck, so went to bed reading one of few books in bed for about 5min, the manual that is, found the "Mem OK" button. Fuck it, I have tried everything else.
Tada, a new fucking light flashes when I try to start the PC, there was a row of 4leds by the 24Pin power cable, CPU, DRAM, VGA & Boot Device LED. The top one was flashing, CPU issue! FUCK!

So what i think is, the CPU self died while idle in windows while I was at work? Seriously, WTF!

So thats where im at today, gonna call the ppl I bought in a few hours when the support opens to see what to do, I assume its an RMA :/

Balubish
Donator

Postby Thirty-Two Ws » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:05 am

Do you have a warranty on it?
dubya
Thirty-Two Ws
Donator

PreviousNext