Community support: Computer building mega thread

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Re: Community support: Computer building mega thread

Postby Balubish » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:44 am

Thirty-Two Ws wrote:Do you have a warranty on it?

Yeah its only a few months old. I ordered the stuff October 31st. So should be solid. Gonna return it to the company that i bought it from, all of it so they can double check whats broken.
Im guessing the CPU, but the weird thing is how the fuck it broke, been running fine for couple of months and suddenly it dies at idle in Windows while i was at work?!?!
Hopefully it doesnt take to long, been weird not having PC for the whole week, I might setup the old MB open on the desk just to have something atleast :)
And as I told them, first time this happened to me over 20 years of PC hardware. But I did find some others have had similar problems with X99 weirdly enough.
But dont know if the CPU's or MB that is the problem in general.

So after assembly yesterday, I have to drain the loop again and fucking take the shit out and then when I get the parts again do the same thing, grrr.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

Postby Insipid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Balu,
You have the EVGA 1080 FTW right?
Did you do the bios update and the thermal pad mod?
Or did you water cool it?
The stock cards were burning up like crazy.

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3138048/components-graphics/evga-battles-gtx-10-series-overheating-with-faster-fan-speeds-free-thermal-pads.html

The bios update alone dropped my temps from about 70°c to about <60°c when playing DOOM 2016.
Haven't got around to putting the thermal pads on yet, I've been lazy.
Insipid
Donator

Postby Balubish » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Insipid wrote:Balu,
You have the EVGA 1080 FTW right?
Did you do the bios update and the thermal pad mod?
Or did you water cool it?
The stock cards were burning up like crazy.

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3138048/components-graphics/evga-battles-gtx-10-series-overheating-with-faster-fan-speeds-free-thermal-pads.html

The bios update alone dropped my temps from about 70°c to about <60°c when playing DOOM 2016.
Haven't got around to putting the thermal pads on yet, I've been lazy.

Yes I have the 1080 FTW, and no i did not do the Bios update or order the thermal pad mods. I run on an aggressive fan profile and will later watercool it so both problems will be gone.
Im waiting on money for it though, im not sure if Im going with the FTW Waterblock from EVGA or EK waterblock though.
The bios update is for cranking up the fans just like my agressive profile anyways. It runs super hot on stock settings. I still reach 70C° with max fan speed in Overwatch so yeah they run hot as hell. And I refuse to trottle down under 2Ghz :P

Hehe your lazy yes if you have seen my build you would understand why I didnt even care. First I have to empty the loop and remove the pump fittings cause they were just infront of the card so couldnt get the card out even without doing those steps lol. Otherwise i might have done the thermal pad thing. But as said waterblock will remove both issues cause pads are included for the VRM's and rest on the block and fan, well no fans on waterblocks :)

And last night I picked all the shit out again, dropped the RAM, CPU and MB back to the guys i bought it from for testing and possible RMA. So the only thing i have left is an empty case and my 1080. But will probably today assemble the old PC on the desk so I can atleast surf and stuff.

How it looked when I was done putting in the new PSU and still broken.

So if im gonna go with anther 1080 I dont really know where to put the pump lol.
Such a tight case but looks awesome i think and still manage to have that NexXxos Monsta rad inside the case with push pull config.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

Previous

Return to Spam Fest