Opps.

Announcements and news related to Crit Sandvich.

Re: Opps.

Postby Maringue » Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 am

Failhorse wrote:Figure there's 40+ million XBoxes out there. Yet when a new COD comes out, they sell less around 4 million units. What happened to the other 90% of owners? What are they doing?[/img]

This problem must be a serious bitch from the company standpoint, assuming you are talking about the fact that only 10% of people a new game that 50% of Xbox owners play.

First there's the used game markets which are a double edged sword. It sucks when the game is first released because places like Game Stop will only stock a small percentage of the total number of units of a game they need to boost their sales on the resale market where they make the majority of their profit. But then you get the option of buying a game cheaper if you don't mind waiting until after the release and you can sell your game back when you are done with it.

So I'm sure all the brick and mortar stores are livid that Xbox just killed one of their huge income streams.

The second half is people pirating the game and the DRM that counters it. From a corporate standpoint, I can see why they keep trying DRM. They see millions of dollars being lost to piracy. Unfortunately they haven't realized (or just don't care) that increased DRM affects people who want to buy the game legally first and does a very poor job of bringing in people who wanted to play the game but not pay $70 for it. So in the end it comes out in the wash and doesn't really increase sales.

Personally I don't think the solution is more DRM, but the option to buy fully functioning parts of the game. For example, you could buy the single player part for $35 and the multiplayer part for $35 or the whole game for $65. People hate buying things that come with shit they don't want or need, like the single player mode of Battlefield 3 which is about as useful as tits on a bull. My old roommate had that game and I still chill at his house to play multiplayer 2 years later, but I don't think we ever even bothered playing the single player mode more than once.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Postby GoDM1N » Thu May 23, 2013 2:07 pm

GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

Postby GoDM1N » Thu May 23, 2013 5:12 pm

More fun.

GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

Postby Someone Special » Fri May 24, 2013 7:06 am

GoDM1N wrote:More fun.

PS4 for the win!
Someone Special
Pink Admin

Postby Balubish » Fri May 24, 2013 7:35 am

HausOfJoel wrote:Image

Could have said it better Haus :D Totally agree

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

Postby Balubish » Fri May 24, 2013 7:37 am

GoDM1N wrote:Image

Cause Battlefield are a Swedish game maker, in your face! :P

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

Postby Maringue » Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 am

Balubish wrote:

I'll be honest, I don't see any real technical difference between the two. The main reason I like the Battlefield model better is because the artist actually knows how to use shadow and lighting effects to make the face look more natural and realistic. The new CoD model kinda falls into the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley) for me. It's like looking at a wax figure.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Postby fingerman » Fri May 24, 2013 11:57 am

Maringue wrote:
Balubish wrote:

I'll be honest, I don't see any real technical difference between the two. The main reason I like the Battlefield model better is because the artist actually knows how to use shadow and lighting effects to make the face look more natural and realistic. The new CoD model kinda falls into the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley) for me. It's like looking at a wax figure.

The guy looks whiter in the newer version.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

Postby Knees of Justice » Fri May 24, 2013 3:23 pm

I'll stick to the... Wii U.
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

Postby megamoose » Fri May 24, 2013 6:09 pm

I'll stick to getting poorer and losing my trading knowledge in TF2 :)
megamoose
Donator

PreviousNext

Return to News