MMO Round Up- Part 1

You review games and life. We post it in the blog

MMO Round Up- Part 1

by Harri » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Games to fill those long nights of loneliness-

I know Marvel Heroes was a letdown. World of Warcraft is an ancient relic, and let’s be honest; WOW is not like it used to be. Guild Wars 2, though wonderfully detailed, has a lacking endgame. Who plays Maple Story anymore (oh lord … who are you people?). If you are on the lookout for a new addiction or a refreshing change from your old MMO haunt, read on my friends. I’ll be looking at a few MMOs to consider in the months (and years) to come.

Of course, each MMO offers something different. If you are unseasoned in the art of endless hours on a level 80 mage, then you should ask yourself what you want in an MMO. Do you want to play a social (raiding, PVP, group quests), highly competitive (hardmode raiding or PVP), or story time (open world, quests, multiple story lines, new content) game? That list is not all-inclusive. Some games are the cream-of-the-crop and offer a variety of experiences.

Monster Hunter Online

We got the titillating announcement on Monster Hunter Online this year. With the release of this announcement, and the potential tragedy that MHO might not ever see an audience outside of China, Capcom and its partners has captured the world of hunters and gatherers’ attention.

I’m going to be optimistic. Capitalism hasn’t failed me yet. So, in my perfect world, MHO will be internationally released sometime in 2014. Monster Hunter Online would be your opportunity to kill, carve, eat, wear, and recycle an entire world of monsters. MHO is the Harvest Moon for cavemen (and women). If you were already a fan of Monster Hunter Frontier or the newest Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, then you already know the joys of killing huge (HUGE) animals, creating raid parties and planning hunts, and creating a slew of awesome, spiked armor and ginormous swords.

Why should you cross your fingers for this game? If you love the grind: endless hours of killing, gathering, and killing again then MHO will be for you. In addition, with new or improved monsters, group play is an essential. You can jump on Mumble, Skype, or Vent and chat it up with your friends and clansmen while making a big kill. The leaks provided from the beta also indicate a beautiful spectacle expected from the cryENGINE3.

However, MHO may not be your go-to game if you prefer a truly story driven RPG. If Monster Hunter Online follows the Monster Hunter tradition the best you can expect is “a town is in peril and you, the warrior, must save it by killing monsters.” This might not work for you.

WildStar

To be frank, the MMO genre is lacking in the science fiction department. Yes, of course there are science fiction MMOs, but they are rare. When WildStar was announced in 2011, I got excited. WildStar is developed by Carbine studios. If you haven’t heard of Carbine studios, you are not alone. However, you might have heard of Carbine’s 17 founders through their work with Blizzard’s WOW development team. They’ve been busy.

Now, WildStar is set on the planet Nexus, where players have the exciting opportunity to explore a futuristic world. WS features an open world environment and players can level their choice character from 1- 50. However, the exciting thing about WildStar is the movement options. Unlike a majority of MMOs, WildStar allows players to double jump, sprint and dash. In addition, the game combat utilizes the telegraph system. The possibilities for planning attacks, heals, dodging, kiting etc. are very promising.

In relation to player versus player, WildStar provides a similar conflict structure of opposing factions battling for land and resources. With that said, arenas and battlegrounds are expected in this game. In addition, WS has teased waiting gamers with a plot. WS is currently on its third closed beta test. More content and future trailers are to be expected. Get excited! Aliens, PVP, and a story line are in your horizon.

Take a Sneak Peak

World of Darkness

This supernatural horror RPG has been a rumor since 2006. Much to fan’s delight, CCP Games announced World of Darkness in 2010. We’ve been waiting patiently!

You might know CCP Games for Eve Online and Dust 514. Before the merging of CCP Games and White Wolf Publishing, White Wolf Publishing was predominantly known for the “classic” World of Darkness games (Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Ascension, Wraith: The Oblivion etc.). In early 2013, it was no surprise to discover that the new World of Darkness will be based on Vampire: The Masquerade.
Reportedly, World of Darkness will be a player-driven game with both social and political elements. It will also feature the themes of mystery, romance, power, and danger. It should be noted, WoD is not a game designed for a younger audience. If you enjoy supernatural horror and creepy music then World of Darkness might be for.

With no release date, World of Darkness is still a lingering possibility for future gaming. As we enter the second half of 2013, I’ll be posting more information regarding this MMO.

World of Darnkess Teaser

Final Fantasy XIV

The fourteenth addition to the Final Fantasy series, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is scheduled to release August 27, 2013. Holy Guacamole! You should be excited! Final Fantasy XIV has been in beta since 2011. FFXIV will feature unique lore, multiple storylines, and a variety of races, classes, and jobs for players to individualize. Like many MMORPGs, FFXIV will also require a subscription to play.

FFXIV is the second MMORPG Square Enix has created (Final Fantasy XI). When FF XIV was first available for beta testers in 2010, the reactions to the game’s quality were mostly negative. In a noble move, Square Enix decided to overhaul the game and create Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
If you are a diehard Final Fantasy fan then this game is for you. Fans of this series will take delight in the signature chocobos, gunships, and familiar character designs. However, if you are new to the final fantasy world, or you’ve always wanted to dabble into the more mainstream popular games, FFXIV will have an appeal for you too. As previously mentioned, FFXIV offers a variety of options for individualization and replay ability; players can choose between 5 races (Hyur, Elezen, Lalafell, Roegadyn, Miqo'te). In addition, players can choose classes and jobs. The class and options in FFXIV are highly versatile, allowing players to sway weapons or tools to further optimize their character.

Final Fantasy XIV also provides a large playable area, with 40 zones to explore. As expected from a Final Fantasy game, FFXIV provides an in-depth story full of adventure, war, disasters-adverted, romance, and super cute NPCs. Further, FFXIV promises a 1v1 and large scale player versus player content. This MMO has the potential to satiate all your MMO needs.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Stay tuned for a weekly update from me as Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is launched in August!

World of Warplanes

Wargaming.net announced in 2011 a game for my father, your father, and all of those World War II historical junkies. World of Warplanes is a MMO arcade flight simulator. Set in a historical fiction surrounding World War II, WoWP looks like a unique experience for the aircraft lovers. Don’t mind my nostalgia; I can already hear my father shouting into his mic “shoot the damn plane down.”

World of Warplanes will offer a variety of military aircrafts from a multitude of periods following the 1930s. Players can choose to optimize their experience through three options (fighter, heavy fighters, and ground-attack aircrafts). With each aircraft type, players can add a variety of weapons to help win the fight on the ground and in the air.

If you are looking for a story driven MMO, World of Warplanes might not be for you. However, WoWP offers the opportunity to play in individual missions, as a squad with friends, or as a clan. This game is currently in open beta testing. Check it out!

More to come!
Otherland
Everquest Next
Phantasy Star Online 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Titan
Harri
Blue Admin

Re: MMO Round Up- Part 1

by Rosey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Rosey
Blue Admin

by Harri » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Rosey wrote:Image

I can do a write up on Rune Scape in part 2. I think it is in beta right now.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Rosey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Harri wrote:
Rosey wrote:Image

I can do a write up on Rune Scape in part 2. I think it is in beta right now.

nope already came out july 22nd

-new engine
-new ui
-new story
Rosey
Blue Admin

by Harri » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:33 am

Part 2 is in the making!
Harri
Blue Admin

by LegendarySurgeon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 am

As much as I'd love to see MHO come to the West, I have no illusions about Capcom's confidence in the market. I'm going to keep playing MH3U and hope MH4G eventually comes out. You know, some day.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by Balubish » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 am

Damn I got some chills watching the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn clip u put here. It felt like "I REALLY WANT TO SEE THAT MOVIE" holyshieet it was nice :D

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Ninja » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:11 pm

I heard that FFXIV was going into some sort of open beta sometime early august.
So for people who want to play it they should open registration in the next week or so :)
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by cloud » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:11 pm

The funny thing about FFXIV was that is was up before. It was so ridden with bugs and poor programs that they had to take it down. Hopefully take 2 goes better.
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

Return to Community Reviews and Commentary