Russia invades Crimea, Ukraine

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Russia invades Crimea, Ukraine

by Valletta » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:36 pm

Today Russia invaded the Crimea region of Ukraine, setting up strategic points for supplys and troops. They control the airfields to launch paratroopers from, and the ports to get supplies and troops. The Ukrainian prime minister has already stated, if Russia comes further there will be war. As there are now around 15,000 troops in Crimea expect something to happen in the next few days or so, I don't think WW3 is going to happen but who knows.
When in doubt - TURBOCHARGE IT.
Valletta
Donator
Master Mechanic

Re: Russia invades Crimea, Ukraine

by Ron Swansons Stache » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 am

It's just incredible to me that not a few weeks ago they were hosting the world for the Olympics and now they're invading a sovereign country.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by psyk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:49 pm

TBH... Fuck the Ukrainian Prime Minister. What they didn't post on the news a few weeks ago was their army opening sniper fire on a crowd of people excersizing free speech.
The Asshole.
psyk
Blue Admin

by Balubish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 pm

psyk wrote:TBH... Fuck the Ukrainian Prime Minister. What they didn't post on the news a few weeks ago was their army opening sniper fire on a crowd of people excersizing free speech.

Yeah they found dead civilians shot to death by sniper ammunition.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Valletta » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Putin has given them till 5:00am tomorrow to surrender, oh boy.
When in doubt - TURBOCHARGE IT.
Valletta
Donator
Master Mechanic

by You » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Some background information from BBC.

Some people may find it interesting

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26415508
You
Donator

by Maringue » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:28 am

psyk wrote:TBH... Fuck the Ukrainian Prime Minister. What they didn't post on the news a few weeks ago was their army opening sniper fire on a crowd of people excersizing free speech.

Yanacovich is a shit bag. The man literally drained the public coffers straight into his own bank account, something like 30-70 billion dollars. When the Swiss say, "Yo, here's the guys name and bank account numbers, have fun seizing his assets." You know the guy is a fucked up dude.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Rhymenoceros » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:57 am

It really is a shame to see Russia and Ukraine escalate this far.

I wonder if when Crimea secede from Ukraine and rejoins Russia, will the ex-Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych make a run for leader of Crimea.
Rhymenoceros
Donator

by Maringue » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 am

Here's the irony. The people of Crimea will probably not vote to join Russia and Putin knows that. This is why he's basically parking his military there. My friend is a Russian/Ukrainian speaking diplomat and he told me that the pro-Russian candidate got 4% of the vote in the last election so it's a joke that this new pro-Russian prime minister has been "installed".

But with everyone complaining about military action or lack there of, *cough*McCain*cough*, the fact that Russia pulled troops back after their stock market dropped 12% in one day kind of slid under the radar. And now with this threat from Russia about seizing the assets of foreign companies if the US and EU impose sanctions is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If Russia did that, their economy would be fucked simply because no investor with a brain would EVER invest in Russia again.

And my diplomat friend made an interesting point. There's zero need to handle this militarily. Less that 100 oligarchs basically control most of the Russian economy, so freeze their assets (most of which are in euros and dollars) and institute a travel ban and wait. They will very quickly convince Putin to back off since Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

But this is the age old problem of Russia, a warm water port. They are basically afraid that if they don't have a Moscow stooge in power in Ukraine then they will loose their bases in Crimea which are very important to them. But never mind the fact that the Ukrainian government has already signed an agreement that guarantees the use of those bases through 2042.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by HausOfJoel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:54 pm

I don't see this being a very big conflict militarily. If anything it will be an economic, cold war, but I don't see it escalating that far
Also let me just:
ImageImage
HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

Return to Intense Debate