Psy's past comes to haunt him

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Psy's past comes to haunt him

by Spyder » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm

One-hit wonder music-artist Psy landed himself in hot water for a song he made eight years ago.

In 2002, an American tank ran over two Korean School girls.
Then, in 2004, a Korean missionary was captured in Iraq by extremists who demanded that South Korea not send troops to aid America in the war in Iraq. Seoul refused to negotiate and the missionary was beheaded. The result: massive protests throughout Korea against both Muslim extremism and the U.S. military for indirectly bringing this fate upon a Korean missionary.

Specifically, he made a an "Anti-American" rap song called, "Dear America". The lyrics that have started the controversy are:

Kill those Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those Yankees who ordered them to torture
Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers
Kill them all slowly and painfully

Psy recently released an apology, stating:
"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world."
"The song in question - from eight years ago - was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I'm grateful for the freedom to express one's self I've learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I'm deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused anyone by those words."
"I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months - including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them - and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it's important we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that though music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Sources:
http://news.yahoo.com/psy-forever-sorry ... music.html
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/07/showbiz/p ... index.html

"Anti-American" song "Dear America"

So, what do you all think? Do you think his apology is sincere?
Image Image
Spyder

Re: Psy's past comes to haunt him

by Scooty » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:21 pm

I'd say he'd only apologizing so the inevitable American backlash that followed the uprooting of this song wouldn't completely shred his reputation and throw him off his high horse earlier than anyone would have thought possible.
My axe, your ass. Also airblasts, sometimes.
Scooty

by Hatred » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 pm

jeeze leave if to humans to get all uppity over nothing ...
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by Rosey » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:29 pm

implying we arent all ashamed of who we were in 2004
Rosey
Blue Admin

by Saber » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:59 pm

le reddit
le le le le le le le le LE LE LE LE LE LE LE LE EL LE LE le le le le le le le le le le

wow give the guy a fucking break, he publishes a reactionary song due to the fact that the americans who killed the two girls got off scot-free after all the shit happened. it was kind of a big deal, americans come into your country and kill shit and don't get prosecuted you're gonna be pissed.

everybody says shit that they regret, give the guy a fucking break. he was pissed, the entire nation was pissed. gosh
Saber

Return to Intense Debate