Permaban of monumani13, movwills

Request a ban or contest a ban here.

by HibiscusKazeneko » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:19 am

In case no one noticed, I just banned the user "monumani13" from the forums permanently. He looked like your typical spambot, typing in incoherent English and advertising an illegal streaming site. I have an eerie feeling that "he" is one of many bots to come...
HibiscusKazeneko

Re: Permaban of monumani13

by Mike808 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:29 am

You don't ban people just because you "think" they are a spam bot.
What if it was an actual person? I doubt bots can connect their accounts with steam like this account did. And this account did make an introductory thread.
It could just be one of the many Asian and European players who keep westbox full while we sleep.

I could be wrong, but you should have atleast sent a pm to see or something. Admins don't ban people because they assumed something.
When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by Ackybur » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:31 am

Mike808 wrote:You don't ban people just because you "think" they are a spam bot.
What if it was an actual person? I doubt bots can connect their accounts with steam like this account did. And this account did make an introductory thread.
It could just be one of the many Asian and European players who keep westbox full while we sleep.

I could be wrong, but you should have atleast sent a pm to see or something. Admins don't ban people because they assumed something.

They only banned because of the song choice. ;)
Ackybur
Donator

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:59 pm

This person did have some questionable links in a forum post. I removed them. The links were to .cv and .somethingelseoverseas
IP goes to India. And the steam ID entered in their profile is the same as the one in the description on how to enter a steam ID.
IE this persons Steam ID was 7656119
And this is the explanation on finding the Steam ID.
Code: Select all
Enter your SteamID here. It is a number in the form of 7656119xxxxxxxxxx To find it, use http://www.steamidfinder.com/

SO back off. The right thing was done.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by HibiscusKazeneko » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Failhorse wrote:This person did have some questionable links in a forum post. I removed them. The links were to .cv and .somethingelseoverseas

They were both .ch, the TLD for Switzerland. (Obviously that's not where the sites were hosted, but that's beside the point.)
IP goes to India. And the steam ID entered in their profile is the same as the one in the description on how to enter a steam ID.
IE this persons Steam ID was 7656119
And this is the explanation on finding the Steam ID.
Code: Select all
Enter your SteamID here. It is a number in the form of 7656119xxxxxxxxxx To find it, use http://www.steamidfinder.com/

SO back off. The right thing was done.

Thanks. I just used my intuition (and the fact that I've found similar messages in my e-mail spam folder and my PM boxes on other sites).
Can you show me/us how to trace IPs like that? (maybe in the admin lounge, so trolls won't find out)
HibiscusKazeneko

by HibiscusKazeneko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:18 am

Update: I just permabanned another spambot.
I used this site to trace the user's IP back to India (same place as monumani13). This time the spammer didn't even bother to add a Steam ID; the only thing confirming them to be a spammer were the illegal download links in their signature (which I cannot remove).
HibiscusKazeneko

Re: Permaban of monumani13, movwills

by Mr.Rager » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:55 am

I have my own site for pricechecking stuff on TF2, and we've had quite a few spam bots post links similar to those. Those seem really familiar to what I saw on my site, same ID and everything.
Mr.Rager
http://tf2b.com/?id=MrRag3r <--- Check it out!
Mr.Rager

Return to Bans