Terraria: Afterthoughts

Discussion of Terraria and our community server

Terraria: Afterthoughts

by Sirnak » Thu May 19, 2011 11:15 am

Sorry to create another topic for that game, but I really wanted to create a topic just for reviewing that game. If any admin finds it unnecessary, please feel free to merge this post with the other topic or I dunno...

Well, I played this game. I find that it's superior to Mincraft in every way. My list that says how I find Terraria superior to Minecraft:

Pros
Awesome music that actually PLAYS
The difference between night and day actually makes a huge difference (you almost can't see a thing)
You know what items you can craft as long as you have the necessary ressources to craft them (overall nicely simpler crafting system)
Simple menu-inventory that works incredibly well and still allows you to play while looking at your ressources and items
Beautiful pixel graphics that feel so nostalgic (and they are REALLY beautiful too!)
2D side-scrolling!!!!!! (I adore those)
Great character customizing possibilities and way less complicated than Minecraft's
Ressources gather faster
You travel way faster
You can start building a nice base pretty soon
Mobs provide a nice challenge WITHOUT feeling incredibly unrewarding (they drop useful stuff, like gel for making torches for exemple)
Many nice little graphic details that make the world feel alive (like grass-cutting... lol)
Allies are actually useful in combat
Allies can more easily help you to gather ressources and to clear paths
No creepers

Cons
Well, I suppose if you prefer slower games or 3D games you'd prefer Minecraft over Terraria...
No girl avatars (wut?)

Great game. I feel like the creators had a reunion and told themselves: "How can we make a game like Minecraft, but in every way better?" And they succeeded at my opinion. Terraria allows you to be as much creative as in Minecraft but allows you to build nice stuff faster. Also, the fights in Terraria don't feel like a pain in the ass. They are actually pretty fun and fast. Plus, the side-scrolling idea is just so awesome if, like me, you like old platformers. As soon as you unlock the lasergun, the game feels like a bit like old Metroids too. Which is even more awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love Minecraft, but after playing Terraria, I swear I probably won't ever open Minecraft ever again... And I'm deadly serious. I'd gladly join a Critsandvich Terraria server if such a thing is ever created. Also, to answer Stunt's post in the other topic...

Yes, you can play Terraria Multiplayer online (which I played a bit earlier)!!! You just need to download Hamachi. Once it's done, you just need to enter the server's name and IP address IN HAMACHI and you are free to join this server in Terraria immediatly after. If you want to create a Terraria server, it's the same thing. You download Hamachi, choose a server name in Hamachi (before even creating the server in Terraria) and then create your server in Terraria. It may sound a bit confusing, but I assure you it's incredibly simple. If the community wants, I could post a small tutorial on how to do all that later, but I think you'll all manage.
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

Re: Terraria: Afterthoughts

by LegendarySurgeon » Thu May 19, 2011 10:46 pm

Sirnak wrote:Cons
Well, I suppose if you prefer slower games or 3D games you'd prefer Minecraft over Terraria...
No girl avatars (wut?)

You missed the part where there are other hairstyles. In fact, if you select a female hairstyle you'll have a female sound-set, unlike in Minecraft where everyone is always male even if their skin would suggest otherwise.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by BoB Dolen » Fri May 20, 2011 1:13 am

Some of the pros don't sound to much like pros to me imo.

Also sounds like night and day are pretty much the same as minecraft.
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

by VoltySquirrel » Fri May 20, 2011 1:23 am

I get the feeling that your thread here is just about your complaints about Minecraft. That's fine, but there is no strikes against the game and all your Pros are just thing you fell are superior to Minecraft. This is just like when SpoonFox made a thread about the MMOs he has played, but really it was just him bashing WoW and having a nerd-boner over Rift. All this really is that your experiencing a game high. I felt the same thing when I got Modern Warfare 2. First week? Great game. Couple weeks later? Worst MP FPS ever. Let the game sit with you a bit before deciding on whether you truely like it or not.
VoltySquirrel

by SpoonFox » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:24 pm

VoltySquirrel wrote:This is just like when SpoonFox made a thread about the MMOs he has played, but really it was just him bashing WoW and having a nerd-boner over Rift. All this really is that your experiencing a game high. I felt the same thing when I got Modern Warfare 2. First week? Great game. Couple weeks later? Worst MP FPS ever. Let the game sit with you a bit before deciding on whether you truely like it or not.

*slaps*
SpoonFox

by Failhorse » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 am

Cons

Memory whore 2x that of 2 tf2 servers.
coded in java (assuming.)
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Sirnak » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:20 am

Failhorse wrote:Cons

Really? o.o

I have nothing to say about that matter but this: lol
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by LegendarySurgeon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:27 am

It's in C#
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by Nikki Wolf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:07 pm

LegendarySurgeon wrote:

It's in C#

C# with XNA, to be precise.
Nikki Wolf