Meet the Critsandvich.. Our definitive history.

Introduce yourself here.

Meet the Critsandvich.. Our definitive history.

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:39 pm

This has come up a few times recently. Instead of typing it out quickly in Steam chat, I thought I'd leave a definitive source for the future.
Note: This will be edited for content, humor, and grammar when I'm not at work.
Also Note: If you have something to add. Feel free to add it.
Admins can just edit this post. Use a different color and reference in a reply. Anyone else just post a reply, and I'll edit.

Like most gaming groups. Perhaps all of them. Critsandvichs' roots come from a few disgruntled gamers from other gaming communities. Oddly this is already the third, and largest, incarnation in 2 years. Many people have come and gone... And some have come back again. This is from my perspective. Dealing with the major happenings that created the first 2 communities, leading into Critsandvich. I know tons of people have come from elsewhere. But, I think this is what created our foundation.

The "early" days

Let's flash back to December 2009. The War! update was upon us. A core group of what became The Firm was busy muscling out Demo/Soldier kills on the FUG servers. Then, 2 days before the update was out. FUG was down for the count. A scism of sorts. Maybe a power play. Not our business. And not the point of this thread. We had 1 major issue. No place to play. At least not like anything we were use to. The open, all-talk, "fun" gameplay servers were few and far between. FUG's meltdown scattered friends' lists all across the TF2 spectrum. And quickly small groups started servers/communities of their own.

One faithful night a Firm member named "DC" messaged me on Steam. He was looking for help with a server he just bought with a few other people. The Doctors! Yes this is where Harri started. As well as Ackbar and several others (edit your name in here.) DC couldn't get the server to get off of cp_well. I know this seems funny now. But it was a different time. The Firm was looking for someone with server experience. As well as someone who could get the Nubz clan on a server. Guaranteeing at least a dozen more regulars.

So, on the day of the actual War! update. The Firm was born. And immediately became a powerhouse. With the influx of players due to the update, a ton of homeless people, and a little help from fake clients... Again it was a different time. Could not compete without them. 2 servers were easily managed and full 24/7.

And then crap hit the fan. Within weeks Fug was back up with new servers. And a major group of Fug admins created Free Frag. Many returned to what they saw as comfortable. Or at least the old IPs back in their favorites list. This was a big hit for the Firm. To make matters more difficult. The same week Valve patched the easy way to create fake clients. Troppmann was brought on. He had loads of server experience and wrote several mods that kept us going for a bit. Soon after DC left due to some controversy and transferred server ownership to Troppman and myself. In the end cash was king. And not the admin (sorry bro.) I think Battlefield 2 came out. Or some similar game that sapped the TF2 playtime from many of the core admins. Without fake clients and without a dedicated group of people to pop the servers. The cash reserve depleted. Our major competition still had fake clients... So most of our base was officially gone. Sprinkle in some gaming drama, admin inexperience, and a dash of douchebaggery... Troppmann and I decided to move The Firm in a new direction.

The drunken name change

So Troppmann and I were in a band together. I believe the night shit finally collapsed we were playing a show at the Elbo Room. Watching the end game drama unfold on the website. We sat at a table, drunk, trying to come up with a name that would fit tfgn.org. And that's how "two fingers" was born. The admin troubles were rooted out... Or not, depending on how you want to take it. But we still had the problem of 2 empty overpriced servers. We also just disenfranchised most of the remaining player base. Pretty much the only people left were the admins; Joss, Maringue, Colander, Snowsickle, Squirrlmstr. A bit later Ackbar.

Slowly TFGN was rebuilt. A conversation 1 night with a fellow named Smeemo changed everything. Around the same time Joss left us to start the MB group. With Smeemo around, a deal was struck to sponsor the clan Enigma. They dropped their pub server. In return we gave them a match server, and they'd pub on ours. Our player base quickly grew. And once again we were supporting 3 servers. And a group of well trained, popping soldiers kept us full. Our steam group would hit 6k, but like always there was a problem. We lacked a working donor platform. We were also hemorrhaging money... At the time we used high-end server providers separately. The costs were adding up, and the donations were few and far between.

3 major players joined us all around the same time. Benny, Psyk and BP. Each giving something special that would leave lasting marks on the community. And our specific "flavor" of TF2. I'll leave that one for some self discovery on how. I think by this point the remnants of The Firm finally collaped in on it's own Canadian <adjective>.

The first "Fun" server was created. We gained a total of 3 new servers. But donations and a crappy website, designed by some idiot, were still hurting the community. Even though 3 servers were free. We didn't have the people to support 9 total. Yes we had 9 servers, and a community 1/3 the size of what Critsandvich is today. Again we saw the slow implosion. And Troppmann decided to downsize the community a bit.

And then a wild Fingerman appeared. Not the Fingerman we know today. The asshole that would demo the whole time and exploit every god damn thing on every map.... Asshole. But it was fun to watch him and Rex go at it.

With the recent downsize. Much of the community activity was off essentially what Troppmann dropped a ton of money on. There was an issue with control on certain community functions. Tropp wasn't happy with a few people. Not wanted the past to repeat itself... I am leaving out some idiotic details here. ...
The past did repeat itself. This time I took the side I thought was best for the community. In return we lost Troppmann and most of what TFGN had built up. With another quick admin meeting. And slightly more thought into the name. Critsandvich was born.

Third time is the charm?

So... Now you know gaming communities are cursed. Critsandvich has already had a share of it's own drama. We've lost some good people. We've gained others. And some just come and go like they own the fucking place.

So how did you find us?
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Meet the Critsandvich.. Our definitive history.

by mrProtagonist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Bumping like 300 fuckin posts.
Forum's own pervert
Bumped like 300 fuckin posts
mrProtagonist

by Amplify » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:02 pm

I come and go like I own the place.
Amplify
Tournament Staff

by Ninja » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Obviously, I'll be playing prophunt on the fun server every thursday.
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by meh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Ninja wrote:Obviously, I'll be playing prophunt on the fun server every thursday.

Hahaha that made my day.

And thanks Failhorse, I was always kinda wondering the history behind it all.
meh

by duck » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:15 pm

i'll be playing in the slayboxes even though im a trade server and fun server admin :P
duck

by Ackybur » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:01 pm

I want to be put down in the history books as LADY REDMIN SIR MAAN THE FOURTH! I will never forget my short tirade as a redmin. It was enjoyable. I also think it's only Harri and I left from the beginning.
Ackybur
Donator

by Failhorse » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:56 pm

meant to say how did you find us, as the last line. damn work distractions.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by stanley » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:59 pm

i was just relieved to find a non bot server that was full most of the time...

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Harri » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Fail did a fine job of skipping how much drama occurred with the Firm-two finger split. ;/

But I assume a shit ton of drama occurred with the Two finger/ Critsandvich creation.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Harri » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Ackybur wrote:I want to be put down in the history books as LADY REDMIN SIR MAAN THE FOURTH! I will never forget my short tirade as a redmin. It was enjoyable. I also think it's only Harri and I left from the beginning.

I can't remember if you were on that fateful night in a steam-voice chat when we created the firm. The jackasses- Floob, Cocaine, Pete, Garfield, UA, Harri, Nassty

Those were the good days. We all came together and then quickly tore at each other's throats.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Ackybur » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Harri wrote:
Ackybur wrote:I want to be put down in the history books as LADY REDMIN SIR MAAN THE FOURTH! I will never forget my short tirade as a redmin. It was enjoyable. I also think it's only Harri and I left from the beginning.

I can't remember if you were on that fateful night in a steam-voice chat when we created the firm. The jackasses- Floob, Cocaine, Pete, Garfield, UA, Harri, Nassty

Those were the good days. We all came together and then quickly tore at each other's throats.

I was there. It was pretty funny
Ackybur
Donator

by Nikki Wolf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Failhorse wrote:Admins can just edit this post.

I can't D: (not that I would, anyways)

Anyways, I came here from NewbsTF2, after getting a bit bored of playing on their 24/7 2Fort server and wanted to check out TF2Ware, a mod I came across one day on Youtube. So I did, and Funbox was the server I hit. That's pretty much when I actually joined my first gaming community. To be honest, I thought I would just leave the community after maybe a week or two, as I have done so with other forums/groups in the past. (they're not on Steam) But no, I actually liked it here and decided to stay. Now, I'm everyone's favorite furry admin X3
Nikki Wolf

by SovietPanda » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:50 pm

found the trade server by mistake one day, favorited it, and just went there pretty much every single day.
SovietPanda
Gold Admin

by doppelganger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Small summary, most of my tf2 career I just joined whatever server was there. Then bots were made and I hate bots. I played on BRH for a while, had a falling out, quit playing for over half a year. Came back, CSN had people in it, so I played there, finger was a cool dude so he ended up on my friend's and I came back a few times. Eventually I realized how much I liked it more than other servers and despite my previous distaste for communities, I decided to join this one.

Somehow CSn has made less of an ass out of me as well.
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

by Techercizer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Yeah, I hit up the funbox for TF2ware not long after it was installed; I've been hanging around the joint like a persistent hobo ever since.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by cant speall » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm

I've been here for a while now. I think november/december will officially be a year visiting the server. Through good and bad, it's always been fun, and I'll continue joining the servers as long as it is. I still miss John Magnum.
cant speall
Donator

by Ninja » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:19 pm

I first joined for the fun server(I think sometime in October), Then fell in love with the community and everyone here.
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by NBC011795 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:53 pm

I first came across the trade server sometime last December then after getting annoyed by all the premium players in the nighteam servers I joined the Slayboxes and later the funbox. I can never get enough of these servers.
Last edited by NBC011795 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
NBC011795
Pink Admin

by Saber » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 pm

I completely blame Schwartz/Patrid. I don't remember which one was the one who recommended you guys to me (wait it was Patrid), but it all started sometime in June/July of this year. I actually only played TF2 for half an hour a day since I had no competent computer, and I only played on a 24/7 LotusClan 2fort server. I mean, it was fun, but I wasn't particularly good. It was a fucking 24/7 TF2 server, how good do you think I was? (Mediocre.)
Then came summer, and I installed TF2 for a day on my sister's new desktop and played for a really long time that day, all the way into the middle of the night till morning. I don't remember what happened, but I fucking loved the servers. So competent.
(At one point or another, probably during mid-July, I convinced one of my friends to be on the server sometimes. He started out Free to Play. Now he trades unusuals. You might know him as Dominus.)
Now I just play when I'm not busy. Or slacking off.
Honestly, I fucking love you guys. You are seriously one of the best communities that I've ever seen, and I only wish peeps would use the chatbox more.
Someday I hope you guys will make me admin with my boundless energy and my slurry of expletives.
Saber

by MournfulOdin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:36 am

I remember that I joined Critsandvich back when it was still known as 2F. I remember stumbling into the slaybox while continuing my previous trend of just joining any old random server. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a cool community server. And I haven't looked back since....
MournfulOdin
Donator

by Mike808 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 am

Benny pm'ed me back when he joined tfgn to come, I was COD hooked and didnt bother checking the site.
Then Benny pm'ed me again when CSn was born, I instantly joined cause COD was 2ez.
When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by Failhorse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 am

I'm sorry for the tfgn website btw. :oops:
Failhorse
Red Admin

by duck » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:22 am

i was a trading noob who didnt know how to play the real game to well. i had just acquired my first hat of value, mah bunneh hat, and was playing around in the trade server when it was trade convention i think. goldteam was the only admin and i saw a need for more so i decided to sign up and apply for admin. ive been here trolling the forums ever since.

i also remember calling ninja a boy :(
duck

by Amplify » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Mike808 wrote:Benny pm'ed me back when he joined tfgn to come, I was COD hooked and didnt bother checking the site.
Then Benny pm'ed me again when CSn was born, I instantly joined cause COD was 2ez.

Same except no COD and more computer crash.
Amplify
Tournament Staff

by LegendarySurgeon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:35 pm

I started playing TF2 late last year and just sort of joined any server that had real people playing. At one point I joined a CSn server and found the people playing to be significantly more fun to play with than most of the other random people I had encountered. After a while I decided that since I always enjoyed playing on CSn I might as well only play on CSn and before long I decided that I should donate and later I applied for admin.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by Dèx » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:19 pm

You missed the part where i came and became a guy who played everyday for like 2hours straight for like 2months

I kinda miss that time.

*tears*
‹Failhorse› you guys are fucking boring.
How to get a girl
This works. Walk up to a girl and shake her hand. Complement her boobs, tell her she has a nice smile. Tell her your children with her will be beautiful. Complement her boobs again.
- Guy
Dèx

by Ninja » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:28 pm

duck wrote:i also remember calling ninja a boy :(

Everyone has done that don't feel bad XD
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by duck » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:37 pm

also i do remember the early days of fortwars on the fun server. psyk, ghost, nan, you. and also the lows when most of the pinkmins left and it was only me, smeemo and nikki. weve had some awesome times here at the critsandvich network :D

i do still feel slightly guilty for calling you a boy. ive also called rez and ackybur men to :(
duck

by Ackybur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:18 pm

duck wrote: ive also called rez and ackybur men to :(

GODDAMNIT DUCK!

I like duck better, it's easier to put a swear next to it.
Ackybur
Donator

by duck » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:38 pm

you didnt like unicornpoop :(
duck

by Ackybur » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:15 pm

duck wrote:you didnt like unicornpoop :(

Nope.
Ackybur
Donator

by duck » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:27 am

>:.(
duck

by HibiscusKazeneko » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:54 pm

To tell you the truth, I found this place by pure serendipity and continued to play here because the servers had a catchy name, plus my ping wasn't too high (by comparison). I can't remember exactly when I became a regular (I stuck around to see how high my HLStatsX points could climb), but I joined the forums when the first hat giveaway was going on. I was in transit, having been forced to leave a certain community I had been a part of for 4 years due to severe community hostility, so I stuck around.
HibiscusKazeneko

by Phantom » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:18 pm

playing in random games and found this jewl of the desert
people with unusual hats
who were good players
and friendly
soon after i jumped on and donated
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin
Resident Ballonicorn Expert

by bonk' » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I was in the mood for some medieval mode and too my luck, came across this lovely community. Instantly fell in love.
semen babies
bonk'

by WNxPurge » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Failhorse wrote:So... Now you know gaming communities are cursed.

Too fucking true. WarriorNation recently had to ban about 30 people. And a year earlier about 40.

I found you guys by sheer luck. People using their mic's pretty much made me stay, and hopefully for the long haul.

Cancer of Westbox 1
WNxPurge

by mrpikmin2 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Found an empty koth_lakeside to learn the map back when it became official, noticed the sandvich, added to favorites.
mrpikmin2

by Smeemo » Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 am

Great read. It's been really amazing to watch CSn grow since that little meeting in voicechat, and it's mostly due to the character of the community's leadership. We have some of the most laid-back, reasonable, and knowledgable individuals volunteering for CSn, not to mention the antithesis of cowardice and greed that is Benny Hill. Coming up on two years strong!
Smeemo

by Failhorse » Thu May 17, 2012 7:54 am

We have two anniversaries of sorts march 10th and october 9th. depending on which start you want to count.

This isn't for Smeemo cause he knows. A bit of trivia.
The player Antonia was actually one of the first admins at TFGN. What was his name then?
-random strange to the first person who gets it right.
bonus if you can say why he left.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by LegendarySurgeon » Thu May 17, 2012 9:10 am

Failhorse wrote:We have two anniversaries of sorts march 10th and october 9th. depending on which start you want to count.

This isn't for Smeemo cause he knows. A bit of trivia.
The player Antonia was actually one of the first admins at TFGN. What was his name then?

Diloon

LegendarySurgeon
Donator

by Phantom » Thu May 17, 2012 9:28 am

I only know one person thats was at tfgn that wasn't here and that is troupmann.
TROUPMANN FOR 500
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin

by LegendarySurgeon » Thu May 17, 2012 9:52 am

I like your magical universe Phantom. But you've gotta go big or go home. Not only is Antonia secretly Troppmann, Antonia / Troppmann is also the same person as Fingerman / FailHorse / Benny Hill / Snowball / Garrett / UnfairAdvantage / Every admin ever.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator

by Phantom » Thu May 17, 2012 10:32 am

LegendarySurgeon wrote:I like your magical universe Phantom. But you've gotta go big or go home. Not only is Antonia secretly Troppmann, Antonia / Troppmann is also the same person as Fingerman / FailHorse / Benny Hill / Snowball / Garrett / UnfairAdvantage / Every admin ever.

Ya you should try living in my head for a day its crazy.
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin

by Smeemo » Thu May 17, 2012 10:35 am

:lol: :lol:
Smeemo

by stanley » Thu May 17, 2012 2:08 pm

zclipse

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Rologton » Fri May 18, 2012 10:16 am

Is... Is it actually Smeemo and you're tricking us?
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Fencerboy » Fri May 18, 2012 10:48 am

Phantom wrote:I only know one person thats was at tfgn that wasn't here and that is troupmann.
TROUPMANN FOR 500

You spelled his name wrong >.>
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by Smeemo » Fri May 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Rologton wrote:Is... Is it actually Smeemo and you're tricking us?

Nope. :) Excluding my short stint as "Galaxy Man" (lol), I've always been Smeemo.
Smeemo

by LegendarySurgeon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Failhorse wrote:The player Antonia was actually one of the first admins at TFGN. What was his name then?

And then Failhorse never replied to the thread again.

8-)

LegendarySurgeon
Donator

by Thret » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Oh jeez, I completely forgot about The Firm. Those were the good ol' days when we weren't the only active NUBZ. Haha.
Thret

by Failhorse » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:20 pm

LegendarySurgeon wrote:
Failhorse wrote:The player Antonia was actually one of the first admins at TFGN. What was his name then?

And then Failhorse never replied to the thread again.

8-)

Huh what?

Thret i talk to Tom all the time.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Thret » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 pm

What? That shifty bastard hasn't spoken to me in over a year. I don't think I've seen him online but once since I can back from my hiatus.

Also, don't both of you live in Chicago? Which would make things a lot easier.
Thret

by LegendarySurgeon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Failhorse wrote:Huh what?

You haven't confirmed or denied any guesses and I felt pretty good about mine - my detective work was at least okay if not very enthusiastic.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator

by Repoman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:59 pm

I know this is a terrible bump, but I was curious as to how many were from the fallen group? I came from there following Benny Hill, and I know a ton of others did as well. All of the people in the fallen group were admins/trial admins from the infamous Lotus Clan. I remember asking benny about joining a TF2 group he was in while I was in my technical school for the airforce. He said dont join 2 fingers, and join this new Csn group he was in. I joined in the third day Csn was around and played around in the slay boxes at the beginning of my air force career, with all my old Tf2 friends from Lotus/The fallen since apparently all of them were there. I then got interested in the original fun server and became one of its first admins, before pinkmins or colors existed. I was one of the first to test this "trial" system of admin, but honestly I just skipped it thanks to a certain ninja. Since then, its been about 2 years and Ive left and come back at least three times due to people annoying me. But after working in the air force for so long, having a girlfriend, arguing with people over the internet seems stupid.

But yeah, I have no idea why I all of sudden was obsessed with finding how I got here. I had to ask Bolo if Benny Hill was even in the fallen group, haha.
Repoman

by GoDM1N » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Repoman wrote: I have no idea why I all of sudden was obsessed with finding how I got here.

GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Repoman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:51 pm

GoDM1N wrote:
Repoman wrote: I have no idea why I all of sudden was obsessed with finding how I got here.

I agree with this.
Repoman

by Vintage Cholent » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Like Repo said before, there was a growing disdain for some of the lotus admins which resulted in a mass exodus of the comp players (plasma waffle, luminal, dr. dragon, enigma and others) to create a new group called THE FALLEN (Dramatic voice). Due to some unforseen skrimishes between some of the admins of the group (one of whom is hands down the best spy [ie. 10 to 15 kills a life] I have ever competed against) many of us stopped playing tf2 but then benjamin hill advised us to join this group and things got much better. I became a fun server admin and helped figure out some of the map kinks and policies. Overall it was awesome finding a lot of former TF's and new ninjas (female and male) to play comp with on a fun server. The key motivator in my move to CSN was that many of the none IO servers I played on had bots to generate server traffic to decieve potential players. Lotus did this frequently to generate traffic, I am happy CSN doesn't.

“That’s not a knife. That’s a knife.” -“Crocodile Dundee”
JG:You are on a table, surround by naked dudes. What do you do?
VC: Leave the apple store
Vintage Cholent

by MrElTacoTeh3rd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Failhorse wrote:This has come up a few times recently. Instead of typing it out quickly in Steam chat, I thought I'd leave a definitive source for the future.
Note: This will be edited for content, humor, and grammar when I'm not at work.
Also Note: If you have something to add. Feel free to add it.
Admins can just edit this post. Use a different color and reference in a reply. Anyone else just post a reply, and I'll edit.

Like most gaming groups. Perhaps all of them. Critsandvichs' roots come from a few disgruntled gamers from other gaming communities. Oddly this is already the third, and largest, incarnation in 2 years. Many people have come and gone... And some have come back again. This is from my perspective. Dealing with the major happenings that created the first 2 communities, leading into Critsandvich. I know tons of people have come from elsewhere. But, I think this is what created our foundation.

The "early" days

Let's flash back to December 2009. The War! update was upon us. A core group of what became The Firm was busy muscling out Demo/Soldier kills on the FUG servers. Then, 2 days before the update was out. FUG was down for the count. A scism of sorts. Maybe a power play. Not our business. And not the point of this thread. We had 1 major issue. No place to play. At least not like anything we were use to. The open, all-talk, "fun" gameplay servers were few and far between. FUG's meltdown scattered friends' lists all across the TF2 spectrum. And quickly small groups started servers/communities of their own.

One faithful night a Firm member named "DC" messaged me on Steam. He was looking for help with a server he just bought with a few other people. The Doctors! Yes this is where Harri started. As well as Ackbar and several others (edit your name in here.) DC couldn't get the server to get off of cp_well. I know this seems funny now. But it was a different time. The Firm was looking for someone with server experience. As well as someone who could get the Nubz clan on a server. Guaranteeing at least a dozen more regulars.

So, on the day of the actual War! update. The Firm was born. And immediately became a powerhouse. With the influx of players due to the update, a ton of homeless people, and a little help from fake clients... Again it was a different time. Could not compete without them. 2 servers were easily managed and full 24/7.

And then crap hit the fan. Within weeks Fug was back up with new servers. And a major group of Fug admins created Free Frag. Many returned to what they saw as comfortable. Or at least the old IPs back in their favorites list. This was a big hit for the Firm. To make matters more difficult. The same week Valve patched the easy way to create fake clients. Troppmann was brought on. He had loads of server experience and wrote several mods that kept us going for a bit. Soon after DC left due to some controversy and transferred server ownership to Troppman and myself. In the end cash was king. And not the admin (sorry bro.) I think Battlefield 2 came out. Or some similar game that sapped the TF2 playtime from many of the core admins. Without fake clients and without a dedicated group of people to pop the servers. The cash reserve depleted. Our major competition still had fake clients... So most of our base was officially gone. Sprinkle in some gaming drama, admin inexperience, and a dash of douchebaggery... Troppmann and I decided to move The Firm in a new direction.

The drunken name change

So Troppmann and I were in a band together. I believe the night shit finally collapsed we were playing a show at the Elbo Room. Watching the end game drama unfold on the website. We sat at a table, drunk, trying to come up with a name that would fit tfgn.org. And that's how "two fingers" was born. The admin troubles were rooted out... Or not, depending on how you want to take it. But we still had the problem of 2 empty overpriced servers. We also just disenfranchised most of the remaining player base. Pretty much the only people left were the admins; Joss, Maringue, Colander, Snowsickle, Squirrlmstr. A bit later Ackbar.

Slowly TFGN was rebuilt. A conversation 1 night with a fellow named Smeemo changed everything. Around the same time Joss left us to start the MB group. With Smeemo around, a deal was struck to sponsor the clan Enigma. They dropped their pub server. In return we gave them a match server, and they'd pub on ours. Our player base quickly grew. And once again we were supporting 3 servers. And a group of well trained, popping soldiers kept us full. Our steam group would hit 6k, but like always there was a problem. We lacked a working donor platform. We were also hemorrhaging money... At the time we used high-end server providers separately. The costs were adding up, and the donations were few and far between.

3 major players joined us all around the same time. Benny, Psyk and BP. Each giving something special that would leave lasting marks on the community. And our specific "flavor" of TF2. I'll leave that one for some self discovery on how. I think by this point the remnants of The Firm finally collaped in on it's own Canadian <adjective>.

The first "Fun" server was created. We gained a total of 3 new servers. But donations and a crappy website, designed by some idiot, were still hurting the community. Even though 3 servers were free. We didn't have the people to support 9 total. Yes we had 9 servers, and a community 1/3 the size of what Critsandvich is today. Again we saw the slow implosion. And Troppmann decided to downsize the community a bit.

And then a wild Fingerman appeared. Not the Fingerman we know today. The asshole that would demo the whole time and exploit every god damn thing on every map.... Asshole. But it was fun to watch him and Rex go at it.

With the recent downsize. Much of the community activity was off essentially what Troppmann dropped a ton of money on. There was an issue with control on certain community functions. Tropp wasn't happy with a few people. Not wanted the past to repeat itself... I am leaving out some idiotic details here. ...
The past did repeat itself. This time I took the side I thought was best for the community. In return we lost Troppmann and most of what TFGN had built up. With another quick admin meeting. And slightly more thought into the name. Critsandvich was born.

Third time is the charm?

So... Now you know gaming communities are cursed. Critsandvich has already had a share of it's own drama. We've lost some good people. We've gained others. And some just come and go like they own the fucking place.

So how did you find us?

Amazing backstory. :D
.: - | MrElTacoTeh3rd| - :.
Don't give up just try a little less.
MrElTacoTeh3rd

Return to Introductions