Super laggy servers.

Report hackers, annoyers, crashes, problems here.

Super laggy servers.

by Rologton » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Everybody has been getting super laggy. I was on SB I and it was pretty ridiculous. It seems to be the servers' fault, because when I asked everybody was saying they were very laggy as well. Anything that can happen to fix this?
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

Re: Super laggy servers.

by Failhorse » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Did you check your printer cable?
Failhorse
Red Admin

by fingerman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Im in there now, don't see the same issue. Could you qualify the statement?
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Scooty » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm

I was getting lag a while ago, but when I was recently playing my connection was perfectly fine.
My axe, your ass. Also airblasts, sometimes.
Scooty

by Maringue » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 pm

I generally assume that unless everyone in the server lags out at the same time, it's something else's fault.

Do you know how to get a ping map from your IP to the server? That will tell you where the lag is.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Rologton » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Fail: I bypassed that by not even having a printer.

Finger: All of the servers out of Chicago, including the Drunkbox, all currently have a higher ping for me than the Westbox. I typically have 30-50 ping here in NY, with the Westbox at 90 ping. Currently the Westbox is still 90, but the Chicago boxes are 120 +.

Maringue: Normally I would assume it's my fault, but since the Westbox is at the same ping it always is and multiple people at the same time are getting lag, I don't think it's all my problem. Granted, it's finals week and people are abusing our bandwidth, but I have asked several times and always get multiple people saying they're very laggy too. All of us in the mumble were lagging at the same time today, which never happens. That's why I thought to bring it up. I don't know how to find a ping map, but if you let me know I'll check it out and collect some data. I really don't think it's just me, because multiple people spoke up when I asked if they were experiencing lag, and this was when I was still getting normal ping on the servers.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Beartato » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm here to back up Rolo's claim. There were quite a few people who said the server seemed laggy to them when he asked; I know that I was thinking it before he even asked.

It's hard to describe the problem exactly, but I kept feeling like my timing/aim was suddenly off (like, rockets I knew should have caused damage completely missed; my accuracy must have dropped by 2/3 in a matter of minutes when the lag seemed to start) and I noticed that I walked very "bumpily", but not like when you bump into a spy and you know it (or you get a lag spike and it feels like that). Instead, I was moving forward but my POV was slightly shakey.

It was on pl_thundermountain in the third round the second time through. I think it was just after you had left FailHorse. Anyways, it got so frustrating that I ended up leaving after a few minutes, which is disturbing to me given how much I love playing pl_thundermountain.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by fingerman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:08 am

Rologton wrote:Fail: I bypassed that by not even having a printer.

Finger: All of the servers out of Chicago, including the Drunkbox, all currently have a higher ping for me than the Westbox. I typically have 30-50 ping here in NY, with the Westbox at 90 ping. Currently the Westbox is still 90, but the Chicago boxes are 120 +.

Maringue: Normally I would assume it's my fault, but since the Westbox is at the same ping it always is and multiple people at the same time are getting lag, I don't think it's all my problem. Granted, it's finals week and people are abusing our bandwidth, but I have asked several times and always get multiple people saying they're very laggy too. All of us in the mumble were lagging at the same time today, which never happens. That's why I thought to bring it up. I don't know how to find a ping map, but if you let me know I'll check it out and collect some data. I really don't think it's just me, because multiple people spoke up when I asked if they were experiencing lag, and this was when I was still getting normal ping on the servers.

I don't host mumble servers, but the next time it happens please just pm me or fail so we can check it out while its happening instead of having to respond to forum posts.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Maringue » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Do you know how to do a traceroute? It's a command you can use in Terminal and it will show you each hop (internet node or whatever) that your signal has to go through to get from you to the server. Next time you are having lag issues, just do a traceroute on the server IP and see which hop has the longest response time. Many times when you are getting lag, it's not you or the server, but one of the hops in between that your ISP is using. If it's one of the hops that is close to the server in the Chicago area, that would also explain why your ping with the Westbox remains unaffected.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Return to Server Support