Question on the rules.

Report hackers, annoyers, crashes, problems here.

Question on the rules.

by Rologton » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:55 pm

While playing just a couple of minutes ago I found myself in one of the usual arguments over what constitutes as offensive. Nothing unusual there, until somebody went on a mini-rant about how people generally allow the word "cunt", which according to him was a sexist term. So, I am merely asking this for future reference: Should that word or others that may be considered sexist be considered as biggotry? Personally, I don't see it as any different than saying dick, but people have similar feelings about other words that are banned, so who am I to say.

I am asking this so I know exactly what I'm saying. As I'm not an Admin (maybe some day), I really have no power to back me up when I call somebody out, but if I at least know the full extent of the rules than it will help.

Also, I know we generally enforce a rule of no team switching. This hasn't been a problem that I've seen, but it struck me that we enforce it but it is not on the rule list. Perhaps it should be added to the official rules? Just a thought.

Thank you for your time!
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

Re: Question on the rules.

by FlamingOwlOfDeath » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:39 pm

I don't know where admins stand on this from a rules standpoint, but I will let you know what I think as a female. For me, cunt is a LOT worse than dick or bitch or anything like that. I have only been called that term once in my life (earlier this year in fact) and I was extremely offended, hurt, and generally shocked. Following the incident, I spoke to many people about what they thought of the word. In my discussions, it became clear that while women tend to find it extraordinarily offensive (and I means magnitudes worse than dick), many men don't understand the distinction.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, for me at least, it is the worst thing you could call a woman. I certainly think it should be one of the words that we refrain from using at CSn.
FlamingOwlOfDeath

by Saber » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:59 pm

I can back up what Owl said. My sister tends to get really pissed whenever I use 'cunt.' She gets pretty damn offended by it.
I haven't seen it used much, but I'll leave this up for the others to decide. Their opinions are probably better than mine.
I have some other stuff to add in a bit.
Saber

by Phantom » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:12 pm

I dont really see this a sexist term.
Not shure why people pick this to more offend by then the other and its other counter-parts.
In any case my rule on it is as follows: ok unless your harassing/grieving someone with it, kinda just like all non racial/bigot terms (we take those very seriously) or phrases or words.
But come to think of it, if someone is calling you a cunt, their probably breaking the "dont be a douche rule"
So it works itself out either-way.

But im shure as we always like to do, we will probably make a thread about it and a role a SBP dice to figure out how we stand on this matter.
Last edited by Phantom on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin
Resident Ballonicorn Expert

by Wakka » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:13 pm

sometimes i yell at people for saying at it, but i get tons of shit for doing so

but yeah it's pretty offensive
Wakka

by Ninja » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 pm

I consider it offensive and have kicked/muted people for it before.
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by Koopa » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Here's what I think of this:
1.Cunt is considered a Slang, Vulgar, Disparaging, and Offensive word in the English Dictionary, therefore it is a immature word and is not supposed to be used in pubic or against someone else.
2.If women in the community are offened by it, then it is best to enforce this word not to be used in order for them to not be offened so they can play and have fun in our community.
3.If it has become a problem amongst more people than the ones offened, it at least should be discussed amon the community of what is to be done, such is the topic of this thread.
Failhorse wrote:you have a small penis and no one love you

Koopa

by medkitz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:14 pm

I was with Rologton when this happened, and strangely this all happened because I said the shotgun was a bad weapon compared to the flare gun. Now these 2 random people began to rage at me, which was at first a funny thing. Then they went on to vulgar language and despite me and Rolo telling them that it was against server rules to say "f****** and such, they continued otherwise. After Rolo explained why, they joked around and started saying words that were very vulgar and technically not going against server rules. In the end it ended up with all sorts of racial, sexist, and homophobic terms being flung around along with related phrases. My point here is that while swearing is generally a common thing, we shouldn't allow such vulgar terms to be easily flung around especially if there isn't an admin around. There needs to be a way to enforce things.
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by Rologton » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:39 pm

The word has basically lost its bite for me because my girlfriend and a number of girls I know use it fairly often, partially in an attempt to make it a less powerful word.

At that, seeing the reactions, I know I'll personally consider it against the rules. Seeing as women who are part of the community consider it as offensive as other terms, that's good enough for me.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Patrid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:57 am

From a personal standpoint-
Unless the person is generally being unpleasant and using the word in a vile diatribe of their peers,then I assume it's in the heat of the moment and let it slide.
Failhorse:Exploits are okay as long are you're an admin
ImageImage
Patrid

by Maringue » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:50 am

If someone is using language to harass anyone on the server, it's against the rules. If someone is harassing someone else without using any of our typical hot button words, they still need to get the fuck out.

Now there is a distinction between harassment and trash talking, but it's not that hard to parse the two.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Return to Server Support