Board Games

Everything else not represented

Board Games

by LegendarySurgeon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Do we have any board game enthusiasts here? I've been painting / playing Super Dungeon Explore the last couple of weekends and that combined with Weegee's thread on D&D made me realized that I've moved from being a tabletop gamer to a board gamer for the most part. I still break out the D&D and WH40k sometimes, but for the most part it's games in boxes.

Settlers of Catan
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Twilight Struggle
Agricola
Puerto Rico
Super Dungeon Explore
Munchkin
Dominion
The Awful Green Things from Outer Space
Last edited by LegendarySurgeon on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

Re: Board Gmes

by Phantom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:03 pm

I love board Gmes
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin
Resident Ballonicorn Expert

by Nikki Wolf » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Eh, can't say I play any board games anymore. I used to play some of the basics, like Monopoly and Game of Life, as a kid, though. I wouldn't mind playing them again, but eh.
Nikki Wolf

by Wakka » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm

munchkin is ok
although it's not really a board game
Wakka

Re: Board Games

by Smeemo » Thu May 03, 2012 8:21 am

Yes! My group loves Catan and Puerto Rico. Haven't tried the others from your list.

Currently, we're obsessed with Arkham Horror. We've now purchased all but a few expansions, and since the game takes up so many fucking square feet, plans are now in the works for a specialized Arkham table.

How is Super Dungeon Explore? I'm still working on painting up my Space Hulk pieces, but it looks interesting.
Smeemo

by LegendarySurgeon » Thu May 03, 2012 11:48 am

Smeemo wrote:Yes! My group loves Catan and Puerto Rico. Haven't tried the others from your list.

Currently, we're obsessed with Arkham Horror. We've now purchased all but a few expansions, and since the game takes up so many fucking square feet, plans are now in the works for a specialized Arkham table.

How is Super Dungeon Explore? I'm still working on painting up my Space Hulk pieces, but it looks interesting.

Super Dungeon Explore is a lot of fun, it has a nice mix of tabletop wargame and tabletop rpg packed into a boardgame. My friends and I spent something like 120 man-hours on painting the models, and we're almost done.

How is Arkham horror? I've never actually had a chance to play a game, but I see it every time I go to my local game store, sitting there, nestled up to its many expansions.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator

by stanley » Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm

i like chess...

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Smeemo » Thu May 03, 2012 7:12 pm

stanley wrote:i like chess...

The ultimate in turn-based strategy!

Arkham Horror is a gamer's game. Lots of numbers, bits, and rules to remember. Once you get the flow of the turn system down, it goes smoothly, but it took us a few 3-4 hour games to get there. It's punishing, too. Most games end with the party getting turned into bloody paste, so much of the fun is derived from witnessing which horrible way we will die this time. I think it's so popular in our group because of its co-op mechanics; every game, the investigators work together to prevent the Ancient One from awakening, or if that fails, try to defeat the big nasty in combat. The "bad" players never get their feelings hurt because they didn't understand the meta until the last turn... that kind of thing. Plus, if you're a Lovecraft fan, you'll get a kick out of all the story references.
Smeemo

by Bagger Vance » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

i like chess...
Bagger Vance
Donator
Photographer at Daily Bugle

by Argent » Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Oh god yes, all of those things. I'm in my college's EuroBoardGames club and we play all of those things, though I haven't heard of The Awful Green Things from Outer Space.

>[I] TAKE THAT, CLOCKS
Argent
Donator
The Fourth Suited Ace

by VoltySquirrel » Fri May 04, 2012 7:06 am

Battlestar Galactica Board Game.
/thread
VoltySquirrel

by Necro Wes » Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Smeemo wrote:Arkham Horror is a gamer's game. Lots of numbers, bits, and rules to remember. Once you get the flow of the turn system down, it goes smoothly, but it took us a few 3-4 hour games to get there. It's punishing, too. Most games end with the party getting turned into bloody paste, so much of the fun is derived from witnessing which horrible way we will die this time. I think it's so popular in our group because of its co-op mechanics; every game, the investigators work together to prevent the Ancient One from awakening, or if that fails, try to defeat the big nasty in combat. The "bad" players never get their feelings hurt because they didn't understand the meta until the last turn... that kind of thing. Plus, if you're a Lovecraft fan, you'll get a kick out of all the story references.

This sounds awesome. Dose it play similar to D&D?
Necro Wes
Donator
Friendly neighborhood zombie

by Smeemo » Fri May 04, 2012 6:16 pm

It's kind of comparable to D&D, but really, really limited. There are dozens of investigators to choose from, but there are only 6 stats. The stats are grouped as pairs: Speed/Sneak, Fight/Will, and Lore/Luck. Each pair of stats has a slider that you can move during the upkeep phase, but raising a stat lowers its counterpart (i.e., the faster you are, the worse you are at sneaking, and so on). There are scads of item/spell/skill cards, and enough encounter cards to make each game different than the last.

I enjoy getting into the RP aspect of it, but many don't. For instance, if I'm playing as the Gangster (who starts the game with dynamite and a tommy gun), I might suicidally run into a space with a stack of monsters on it knowing full well meta-game-wise that I'll probably get my shit ruined and be sent to the Hospital/Asylum, depending on whether I get injured or go insane--almost always the latter with the Gangster.

So yeah, it's kind of like D&D, but no, not at all. If you enjoy D&D you'd probably enjoy this game, in my opinion. And noticing your sig, if you're a fan of the Cthulhu Mythos and board games, you should give it a try. I've been reading Lovecraft since I was a wee lad (otherdimensional hipster), so that's likely why I like RPing my investigator from time to time. Oh, the glee I felt when my favorite story, The Colour Out Of Space, got represented by a monster token in one of the expansions.

Edit: Never was a Battlestar Galactica fan, but how's the game, Volty?
Smeemo

by Prof_Schwartz » Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 pm

I vote for Candyland.
Prof_Schwartz

by VoltySquirrel » Fri May 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Smeemo wrote:Edit: Never was a Battlestar Galactica fan, but how's the game, Volty?

It's fucking fantastic. Essentially, it's a basic cooperative board game. For those not knowledgeable about the show, it's basically about the last remnants of humanity trying to escape the ever encroaching cylons, a group of robots that the humans built that gain sentience. In the show, it's revealed that some cylons can look like humans and have infiltrated the human fleet. In the game, you as a group are trying to find a new home-world, like in the show. However, someone in the group is also a cylon who is supposed to covertly work against the humans without being found. That simple twist turns an otherwise standard formulaic game into one of the most entertaining and tense games of finger pointing ever. As a base game, it's a tad flawed, since the cylons are very overpowered in it, but a pair of expansion packs rectify that. If you want to see how it's played, watch this: http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/06/05/battlestar-galactica-the-boardgame/
VoltySquirrel

by LegendarySurgeon » Sat May 05, 2012 12:28 am

Prof_Schwartz wrote:I vote for Candyland.

Candyland is more quickly simulated by rolling dice exactly one time, the highest roller being the winner. Or spinning a spinner if that's what you're into.

I've played half of one game of Arkham Horror and I just remember being some kind of hobo with a dog, hiding for dear life (speed at 0, stealth max) from a giant pile of like 6 monsters all standing where I was.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator

by Spyder » Sat May 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Dungeon Dice Monsters.
Image Image
Spyder

by Smeemo » Mon May 07, 2012 6:22 pm

LegendarySurgeon wrote:I've played half of one game of Arkham Horror and I just remember being some kind of hobo with a dog, hiding for dear life (speed at 0, stealth max) from a giant pile of like 6 monsters all standing where I was.

Hahaha, yeah, it can get pretty ugly. Most games you'll just die a few horrible deaths in a playthrough, but I did witness one poor bastard (who of course wasn't a regular player in the group), get sent to the Hospital on his first turn and was never able to leave, except to move one space, get mauled, and go back to the hospital. It was painful to watch.... hilariously painful.

That was before the injury/madness mechanic was introduced, which allows an investigator who's reduced to 0 stamina or sanity to take an injury or madness card, which represents a permanent malady of the physical or mental variety. If a player draws two of the same injury/madness cards (ex. two Xenophobia cards) in a game, that investigator is devoured, and the player must start over with a new investigator. Among other benefits to the game (imo), it's a nice thematic way of preventing anti-fun scenarios like the one Surgeon and I mentioned.

VoltySquirrel wrote:However, someone in the group is also a cylon who is supposed to covertly work against the humans without being found.

Having a traitorous dog in the group trying to evade detection sounds really interesting. I'll see if the local game store has a demo copy.
Smeemo

by Amplify » Tue May 22, 2012 12:33 pm

I bought Betrayal at House on the Hill a couple days ago and I have to say I'm in no way disappointed by my purchase.
Amplify
Tournament Staff

by VoltySquirrel » Wed May 23, 2012 12:32 am

Although this is a board game per se, but I just recently got into D&D and RPGs in general, and recently I've joined a game using the Star Wars Saga Edition rulebook and found it to be very noob friendly, so I guess there is that.
VoltySquirrel

Return to Other Games