Diablo II

Everything else not represented

Diablo II

by Richard Grey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:38 am

My brother and I just got ourselves some new copies of this old gem. Personally, I think it's the king of all hack'n'slash games, hands down. Who else agrees with my sentiments?

(Presently, I've got 3 chars on the go: a Spear Amazon, a melee Necro, and a werewolf Druid.)
Richard Grey
Donator

Re: Diablo II

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:56 am

I quit playing after I got my ass scammed in a trade. I lost probably the best ring ever that made the game easy mode, even on the highest difficulty. It basically caused any enemy with in like 5m to get fucked up by like 8 different high level spells. I miss that ring. :(
VoltySquirrel

by doppelganger » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:43 am

It was good in it's time... I'd like to leave it that way. DIII may be disappointing... dunno yet... I'm more excited for Dungeon Siege III (but I've never owned a legitimate copy of DS and I might not start now)
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:45 am

doppelganger wrote:It was good in it's time... I'd like to leave it that way. DIII may be disappointing... dunno yet... I'm more excited for Dungeon Siege III (but I've never owned a legitimate copy of DS and I might not start now)

Dude, it's Blizzard. They haven't made a bad game in 2 decades. I'm sure they won't fuck it up.
VoltySquirrel

by BoB Dolen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 am

doppelganger wrote: I'm more excited for Dungeon Siege III

My friend and me tried the demo out and we both think its worse then 1 and 2.....which you have to work to pull off imo
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:57 am

BoB Dolen wrote:
doppelganger wrote: I'm more excited for Dungeon Siege III

My friend and me tried the demo out and we both think its worse then 1 and 2.....which you have to work to pull off imo

Man speaks the truth. Personally, I would recommend Torchlight. Pretty damn good for a really blatant Diablo clone.
VoltySquirrel

by Hatred » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:28 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:
doppelganger wrote:It was good in it's time... I'd like to leave it that way. DIII may be disappointing... dunno yet... I'm more excited for Dungeon Siege III (but I've never owned a legitimate copy of DS and I might not start now)

Dude, it's Blizzard. They haven't made a bad game in 2 decades. I'm sure they won't fuck it up.

uhh ya they have .... starcraft 2 sucked got 1/3 the content for 60$ the game other than that was bleh no super, interesting story ..... and lets see how about WoW origonal and maybe 1st exp were alright to good but after that sucked balls ..... so i have to say diablo and diablo 2 were pretty good and the old warcraft strat games were awsome and SC1 and brood wars pulled you right into them .... we will see blizzard i think as long as they dont try too hard it will be good ....
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:44 am

Really? Ever heard of episodic gaming? I'm sure you have, but as a refresher, it's when a company releases content over multiple games. This is what they are doing with SC2. WoL gave more content than your average RTS, including one of the most robust matchmaking service I've ever seen. Judging from Blizzard's past endeavors regarding expansions, I'm sure they'll add more content than just a new campaign and a few more units. Expect gameplay changing features. Concerning WoW, no. WoW and it's 3 expansions do not suck. WoW single handedly reinvented the MMO and each of it expansions could have been it's own game with that much content, especially Cata. So no, Blizzard HASN'T made a bad game in two decades. I can barely understand you complaints about WoW, but SC2 I don't. All you did was bitch about what you perceive as lack of content. Bullshit.
VoltySquirrel

by BoB Dolen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:Really? Ever heard of episodic gaming? I'm sure you have, but as a refresher, it's when a company releases content over multiple games. This is what they are doing with SC2. WoL gave more content than your average RTS, including one of the most robust matchmaking service I've ever seen. Judging from Blizzard's past endeavors regarding expansions, I'm sure they'll add more content than just a new campaign and a few more units. Expect gameplay changing features. Concerning WoW, no. WoW and it's 3 expansions do not suck. WoW single handedly reinvented the MMO and each of it expansions could have been it's own game with that much content, especially Cata. So no, Blizzard HASN'T made a bad game in two decades. I can barely understand you complaints about WoW, but SC2 I don't. All you did was bitch about what you perceive as lack of content. Bullshit.

Sorry but WotLK was total shit, and cata just felt half there....also WoW didn't reinvent "the MMO" it just tapped the casual audience just like the Wii.

As for not making a bad game in two decades pretty sure......Justice League Task Force and The Death and Return of Superman disprove that.

Edit: I have a problem with SC2 just for the fact it doesn't have LAN....and being $60.....and playing the activision moves, but beyond that.
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:12 am

Fine, 16 years. I'm not going to to argue further about WoW, cuz I've done that more than enough on CSn. However, your problem with SC2 is... Stupid. You seriously are pissed because it cost 60 bucks? Give me a break. I've had to buy console games with FAR less content for 60 bucks. Complaining about a difference of 10 dollars is no longer relevant. Also, the Activision thing. Really? You're complaining about a merger between two companys? That has absolutely nothing to do with SC2.
VoltySquirrel

by BoB Dolen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:Fine, 16 years. I'm not going to to argue further about WoW, cuz I've done that more than enough on CSn. However, your problem with SC2 is... Stupid. You seriously are pissed because it cost 60 bucks? Give me a break. I've had to buy console games with FAR less content for 60 bucks. Complaining about a difference of 10 dollars is no longer relevant. Also, the Activision thing. Really? You're complaining about a merger between two companys? That has absolutely nothing to do with SC2.

Not sure how I am pissed, I just dislike the fact and game never overly interested me to purchase any time soon anyways, Will most likely get the "battlechest" in the future kinda deal.

But it isn't a console game.....and how is it not relevant?

Oh you mean has absolutely nothing to do with SC2 besides the fact that they answer to BK and his ideas.
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator

by Dèx » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:38 am

I have diablo 2 and i only got to duriel this far.
‹Failhorse› you guys are fucking boring.
How to get a girl
This works. Walk up to a girl and shake her hand. Complement her boobs, tell her she has a nice smile. Tell her your children with her will be beautiful. Complement her boobs again.
- Guy
Dèx

by Echoplex » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:42 am

I don't mind paying a lot for SC2, but if the expansions release at anything above $40 I'm not going to buy them because I generally don't play singleplayer in anything

And Volty, the publisher makes a HUGE difference because that's where the money comes from. Think of everything that CoD: MW2 or BlOps does wrong (ridiculously easy, very expensive, $15 map packs) - That's activision at work. CoD: Elite is a paid service that's rolling out with MW3 along to go with the new $45-60 in map packs. You don't think that WoW's new focus on instant gratification (valor points, etc) and the resulting depersonalization wasn't influenced by activision? It's basic psychology/goal motivation to move as many copies as possible by expanding out the lowest common denominator. Tuna, weren't you raiding in WoW when you were 9?

Blizzard used to make games because they wanted make great games, Activision wants to make games to sell as many copies to as many 14 year olds as they can. You can't blame them at all for it, but to say that Blizzard hasn't fundamentally changed since WotLK came out is totally incorrect

Edit: Oh yeah. D2 owns ;)

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Dèx » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Big Bear wrote:I don't mind paying a lot for SC2, but if the expansions release at anything above $40 I'm not going to buy them because I generally don't play singleplayer in anything

And Volty, the publisher makes a HUGE difference because that's where the money comes from. Think of everything that CoD: MW2 or BlOps does wrong (ridiculously easy, very expensive, $15 map packs) - That's activision at work. CoD: Elite is a paid service that's rolling out with MW3 along to go with the new $45-60 in map packs. You don't think that WoW's new focus on instant gratification (valor points, etc) and the resulting depersonalization wasn't influenced by activision? It's basic psychology/goal motivation to move as many copies as possible by expanding out the lowest common denominator. Tuna, weren't you raiding in WoW when you were 9?

Blizzard used to make games because they wanted make great games, Activision wants to make games to sell as many copies to as many 14 year olds as they can. You can't blame them at all for it, but to say that Blizzard hasn't fundamentally changed since WotLK came out is totally incorrect

Edit: Oh yeah. D2 owns ;)
I started raiding at 10
but i started playing WoW at 8 did some tiny raiding there naxxramas on my DK
also got kicked from that guild ehh for i started fighting with the Guild leader lol
How to get a girl
This works. Walk up to a girl and shake her hand. Complement her boobs, tell her she has a nice smile. Tell her your children with her will be beautiful. Complement her boobs again.
- Guy
Dèx

by Richard Grey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Dèx wrote:I have diablo 2 and i only got to duriel this far.

I feel for you Tuna. Of all the bosses in the game, Duriel is the biggest bitch to fight... Cramped arena, no fleeing apart from TPs, charging attack, cold attack... All the other bosses you fight at least give you some breathing room.
Richard Grey
Donator

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Actually, it doesn't, because when Sierra and Activision merged, Blizzard made sure to make it clear that they had full control over their IPs, regardless of Kotick said. That's part of the Reason the full title of the company is Activision Blizzard. The executives at ctivision is not dumb enough to try and meddle with Blizzard, which at the moment is Activison's biggest money bringer. If Blizzard felt that their intellectual properties were in risk of being meddled with, they'd be out of there, because ANY publisher would very quickly try to aquire them, like EA or Take Two.
VoltySquirrel

by BoB Dolen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 pm

VoltySquirrel wrote:Actually, it doesn't, because when Sierra and Activision merged, Blizzard made sure to make it clear that they had full control over their IPs, regardless of Kotick said. That's part of the Reason the full title of the company is Activision Blizzard. The executives at ctivision is not dumb enough to try and meddle with Blizzard, which at the moment is Activison's biggest money bringer. If Blizzard felt that their intellectual properties were in risk of being meddled with, they'd be out of there, because ANY publisher would very quickly try to aquire them, like EA or Take Two.

:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator

by Echoplex » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:25 pm

VoltySquirrel wrote:Actually, it doesn't, because when Sierra and Activision merged, Blizzard made sure to make it clear that they had full control over their IPs, regardless of Kotick said. That's part of the Reason the full title of the company is Activision Blizzard. The executives at ctivision is not dumb enough to try and meddle with Blizzard, which at the moment is Activison's biggest money bringer. If Blizzard felt that their intellectual properties were in risk of being meddled with, they'd be out of there, because ANY publisher would very quickly try to aquire them, like EA or Take Two.

Don't be so naive. In the modern era, AAA video games cost more to produce than summer blockbusters. Money is EVERYTHING, and the people who have it get to do what they want and hire who they want.

There's a reason why most major movies suck - They're purposely dumbed down so that everyone can see them and appreciate them. A thoughtful movie is a risky movie is a movie that less people will see - is ultimately a movie that probably won't hit theatres. It's why the good guy always wins, the plot usually paper thin, and the main characters are so dolled up that you can't even tell what they look like. There is such a big investment put into it that they NEED to guarantee sales even at the expense of being formless crap. The same thing has been happening to video games for the past few years. Dragon Age 2, MW2, WotLK, Cataclysm etc - these are games that developers wanted to sell, not play
Last edited by Echoplex on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Harri » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Diablo is amazing. I've played it since forever. Actually, mushy moment. I played it with my Dad. I used to rush through my homework so I could play Diablo and Star Craft with my dad. Happy moments.

also, I'll just leave this here

Harri
Blue Admin

by Trauma Advocate » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 am

I had a mod called Eastern Sun that really rekindled my love of D2 for a good long time. Made everything harder while giving you more powerful skills to make up for it (among a crapload of other changes and new content), and worked great with multiplayer.

But by now I really, truly, forever and ever, have worn myself out on Diablo 2, and possibly Blizzard as a whole with it.
Trauma Advocate
Donator
Spooky

by Dèx » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 am

I hate duriel(:
How to get a girl
- Guy
Dèx

Return to Other Games