ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

Re: Apparently Portal 2 is sexist.....

by GoDM1N » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:42 am

Wow?

I actually got confused for a sec cuz that forum looks so much like ours. I thought they were trolls that just showed up at our forum lol
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Harri » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 am

I see sexism almost everywhere I go. Similar to racism, sexism is always around us. I have also played some really sexist games. Portal 2, and Valve in general are not sexist. Her argument is horribly faulty. I see where she might be going with her Freeman argument (games mostly only represent white, heterosexual, males) but that's the demographic, right? I also see, and kind of understand, her feminist theory shout out of silencing a female character. But, if this girl has ever played video games (EVER) she might have noted that "silencing" is a story telling strategy used for gamer immersion. Duh!

She can be clustered in the group of feminists that don't do any research, and salivate at any opportunity to call men sexist. Moving on :/
Harri
Blue Admin

by Fencerboy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 am

http://smashpatriarchy.com/index.php

look at there first thread

this is from the same site
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by GoDM1N » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:12 am

I will never understand racism/sexism ect, but at the same time I will also never understand the people who go to the extremes to prove everything is sexist or racist. Guess that makes me a idiotist/dumb assist? Right? Or would it be anti-idiotist? ........ I hate stupid people...
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Sirnak » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 pm

GoDM1N wrote:I will never understand racism/sexism ect, but at the same time I will also never understand the people who go to the extremes to prove everything is sexist or racist. Guess that makes me a idiotist/dumb assist? Right? Or would it be anti-idiotist? ........ I hate stupid people...

I like you. :3

But, what the heck? Portal 2, SEXIST?! Sure they sexied Chell up a bit, which I also didn't quite like at first, but... That's all there is to it. Girls that criticize how women are ultra-sexy in video games should also look at men in video games... Dante from Devil May Cry, anyone? He doesn't even wear a shirt in the third game... Guys too are sexier nowadays in video games. The fat red plumber is a thing of the past. Now, we have sexy male warriors with long blond hair and blue eyes... (Soul Calibur, anyone?)

And Chells OWNS. She's nothing like a weak princess asking to be saved. Sure she's sometimes told she's fat by the AIs... But hell... Do these feminists even UNDERSTOOD the reason of that insult? GLADOS' insults are made to be RIDICULOUS, ILLOGICAL and PATHETIC. If Chell is told that she is fat, it's because the writer(s) wanted the insult to make no sense and to be out of place in the first place.

If you say that Valve is sexist, then you MUST say that they despise orphans,deers and potatoes too...
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by HibiscusKazeneko » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Take everything that comes off that site with a grain of salt. There are tons of websites out there that claim to represent feminists, yet they give TRUE real-life feminists a bad name. This same argument has been rehashed a bazillion times since the 80s; heck I remember people bitching about Tomb Raider for the same reason.
Now I'm all too familiar with the radical activist sector of the interwebs; they tend to take the mildest perceived infraction and blow it completely out of proportion. It is true that mass media in general tend to objectify women, video games notwithstanding, but claiming that Valve is trying to make Panty Raider 2 by revamping Chell's design a bit is beyond ridiculous. Heck, she isn't nearly showing as much skin as Lara Croft or the girls from Dead or Alive.
Plus, if I were to be running around in a hot, run-down building, I'd want to wear something skin-tight and a bit revealing; it's comfortable and it lets my body breathe. Think what you like :P
HibiscusKazeneko

by Maringue » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Seriously, that is sexed up? You know what I call those? Clothes. Would they be happy if she was wearing a poncho?

In my work experience, I've had to wear a BL3 safety suit.
Trust me, when you have to work in that shit, wearing a tank top underneath is a very good idea. That shit does not breath and can get nice and warm. So to me, her clothing choice seems to be about as appropriate as you could possibly get.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by doppelganger » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:27 pm

It's really only discrimination when someone takes offense.
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

Return to Other Games