Questions RE rules and community philosophy.

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

RE: insisting you not cap/purposely avoiding it, and raging when you kill someone playing friendly

Poll ended at Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:46 am

We won't tolerate that!
8%
It's allowed, but frowned on.
42%
meh. We don't encourage it, but we don't mind it; either.
33%
ugh. Go away, sweaty tryhard.
17%

Total votes : 12

Questions RE rules and community philosophy.

by WraithTDK » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:32 am

I'm evaluating servers, looking for some new places to call home/donate/participate in. Basically, all I'm looking for is a place to play the actual game without dealing with the type of things online games get stereotyped for. I already see that CSN has rules against harassment, racism, homophobia, cheating and mic-spamming. Excellent. The other question is about the less common issues that I'm still frustrated about:

1. Playing the objectives. I want to actually play the game. I want to try to help my team win the game. And it drives me a little nuts when I'm trying to cap the objective, and someone's screaming "NO! DON'T CAP YOU STUPID TRYHARD!" And then realize that a quarter of my team isn't trying to win, making the likelihood of doing so very low. I just want to play the game.

Are there rules regarding this? And if not, what's the general community consensus? Is there a lot of this on CSN servers?

2. People getting upset because I killed them while they were "friendly." This is, of course, totally fine if you're on a trade server, or an idle server or a goof-off server or whatever. But when I'm looking for active server where everyone's looking to actually play, and actually expect that if I'm on the other team, I'm going to be gunning for them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm sick of being called a tryhard for wanting to actually play the game. Tryhard" is quite possibly the single dumbest "insult" I've ever heard. I am a tryhard. I'm not good enough to go pro yet, and I know it. But the only way you get better at something is you try. Hard. You practice. You play. You play as much as you can, you watch people who are better than you, and you keep going until you get better. So yea, that's me. So what? I see no reason to be ashamed of that, or to have to take crap from others about it.
Last edited by WraithTDK on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
WraithTDK

Re: Questions RE rules and community philosophy.

by DerKrieger105 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:54 am

The CSn Slayboxes are competitive servers. While the main objective is of course to have fun, you should fully expect that everyone there will be playing the game, attempting to complete objectives and trying to win. You won't see too many people not trying or goofing off. Troll engies, idlers, people wasting time will generally, especially if the server is full, be kicked.

While everyone will always be trying to win, you will notice that the seriousness of play will go up and down during the day. During the day and early afternoon the server is populated with less regulars. More regulars will jump on later and at night and the intensity of the game will pick up.

You may here some people joking around with you about trying hard but it is all in good fun and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Friendly players? Like what sandvich heavies? We don't have many of those on here but if you see one you can kill them. We don't have a rule against killing them or spycrabs. I mean if you do kill them the person may get irritated but just ignore them. It doesn't really matter.

As for being a "try-hard," you can try hard. that is totally fine. The thing is though we have another rule on here. That is don't be a dick. This is a community server for people who want to play the game and have fun. You can of course try very hard and people do. Just don't be an asshole about it. Gloating, general obnoxiousness, and massive egos are not something we take too kindly to around here simply because it makes it a less enjoyable experience for everyone. So, like I said, feel free to try hard, just don't be a dick about it and you'll have no problems.

Looking forward to seeing you around on there servers.
-Krieger (Blue Admin)

BTW your poll doesn't make much sense. Not even sure what the question is. What exactly is not tolerated?
CSn Bluemin- I'm pretentious and never leave the mic.

DerKrieger105
Blue Admin

by WraithTDK » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:19 am

Generally speaking, I don't say a word on the mic or in text unless it's to relay info or co-ordinate. I see talking smack as a waste of time. You're going to kill, you're going to get killed. If you make excuses or rage for being killed, it just makes you look like more of a loser. If you talk smack when you win, it just makes it look like you're excited because it doesn't happen very often, and makes you look that much worse when you get killed by others. If I'm playing, that's all I'm doing. Playing. I kill the other team when I see them, and I go for the objective. That's it.

As for my pole, I'm asking about the community's views on people insisting you not cap the objective and purposely avoiding it, and raging when you kill someone playing hoovy/spycrab/dancing friendly etc.
WraithTDK

by Balubish » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:38 am

Well krieger is right on all that. If you see a sandvich heavy or spy-crab, personally I dont hesitate to kill that bloke, easy points and if ppl complain about it we usually tell them to stop, usually ppl listen to the community players and stop doing it
and continue helping their team. And if the person complains about getting killed for doing nothing, tell them to go elsewhere if nobody else does. Beeing a team mate is all CSn is about, do your best and also have fun.

Sure we might smack talk between friends on the server, like killing with crit and then taunt them just for fun a giggles.
But 99% even though some of us might fool around a bit we always try to do the objective, thats the main goal, to win.

So go ahead, go tryhard we dont mind it, we have several players that only play tryhard to 100% so its fine.

Dont understand ur poll either.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by AronTimes » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:55 am

If I were the admin on my own server (which may or may not exist), this is how I'd deal with Friendlies and other griefers (I consider Friendlies as griefers):

Strike 1 - Be a Friendly in the first place OR do something I don't approve of.
No action taken so far. Might just be goofing off temporarily. However, I will be paying attention to you.

Strike 2 - Complain about getting killed as a Friendly and/or Friendly for an extended period of time OR continue to do something I don't approve of.
I would ask the Friendly to stop.

Strike 3 - Refuse to heed my request and/or warning.
Banned. Not a permaban, but just a temp ban to let them cool off and free up a player slot.

However, I am not an admin on CSN, so I just ask the Friendlies and other griefers to stop. If they refuse, I post on the Ban Request forum here, and that ends my involvement with the griefer. To be clear, I'm not against new or bad players as long as they make an honest effort to play the game. If you're actively trying to fuck over your team, I have a problem with that, regardless of your skill level or status within the community (CSN, the casual community, the competitive community, or the entirety of the TF2 community).

I also do not play on servers whose rules I do not agree with, such as the Skiver servers. They're actually pretty decent people and enforce their rules consistently, but the rules themselves are what I dislike so I avoid their servers so I don't waste my time and they don't waste my time. Yes, I actually read the rules of every new server I join.
My command is your wish.
AronTimes
Donator

by Someone Special » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:38 pm

I'd say just play the game and have fun. If people are being friendly, just kill them and continue on.
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by Rumors » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Whats this vote even about?

Just have fun, tryhard or not. There's always going to be players more or less skilled than you. Best to just roll with it, have fun, and maybe pick up a few new tricks along the way. Don't let someone bother you if they make a snide remark, especially if they're upset that you're trying hard.
Image[/url]Image
Rumors
Donator
Penndragoon

by WraithTDK » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:18 am

I thought the purpose of the poll was explained pretty well. I'm asking for the general consensus of the community regarding people insisting you not cap/purposely avoiding it, and raging when you kill someone playing friendly.
WraithTDK

by megamoose » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:24 am

I think you've got the answers to the blue admins in this topic. (They are he ones with Blue Text in their name) [Special is both Pink/Blue I think]

Honestly, just ignore the fun go-ers in the server. You shouldn't get too annoyed if people yell at you for playing a game. The goal is to capture a point, or push a bomb to the end. How you do it is usually through killing (unless there is weird shit going on). The game is basically kill or be killed. End of story.
megamoose
Donator

by WraithTDK » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:28 am

Sounds like I wanted to hear. I'll be around CSN. :D
WraithTDK

Return to Team Fortress 2