playing Team Fortress 2

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

playing Team Fortress 2

by padwini » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:04 am

Slow computer while playing Team Fortress 2? Okay, I just got Team Fortress 2 for the PC and I'm having a slight problem with its performance. When I run it, it is extremely slow. I don't have any viruses and the like. I have a decent internet connection. I think that the other programs that are running at the same time are effecting it. I exited majority of the programs in the tray on the bottom right of my screen. Does anyone have any helpful hints?
Last edited by padwini on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
padwini

Re: playing Team Fortress 2

by Maringue » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:24 am

TF2 is a graphics card hog, especially since they keep throwing in more and more special hat effects and such.

There are several configs out there that will optimize TF2 for slower machines, but I wouldn't know which ones are the best. Just google TF2 config and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of results.

There's one named after a guy, but I can't remember the name. Something like Charlie's config or something.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by megamoose » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 am

Maringue wrote:TF2 is a graphics card hog, especially since they keep throwing in more and more special hat effects and such.

There are several configs out there that will optimize TF2 for slower machines, but I wouldn't know which ones are the best. Just google TF2 config and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of results.

There's one named after a guy, but I can't remember the name. Something like Charlie's config or something.

Chris' Config. I thoguht he stopped with it though...
megamoose
Donator

by Ron Swansons Stache » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 pm

padwini wrote:Slow computer while playing Team Fortress 2? Okay, I just got Team Fortress 2 for the PC and I'm having a slight problem with its performance. When I run it, it is extremely slow. I don't have any viruses and the like. I have a decent internet connection. I think that the other programs that are running at the same time are effecting it. I exited majority of the programs in the tray on the bottom right of my screen. Does anyone have any helpful hints?

Try cleaning up your startup programs. Oftentimes programs when installed will automatically set themselves to load up on boot which can slow your system down.

From a run box (Start>Run) type 'msconfig' and select the Startup Tab. You can uncheck the applications you wish to stop from loading with windows (I wouldn't touch any Microsoft manufacturer ones though, just to be safe). If you have an older version of windows where this doesn't work, you may have to google around a bit.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by DerKrieger105 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:35 pm

What are your system specs and what resolution and settings are you playing at? Those will all have a factor on performance. Also be sure that your GPU or CPU isn't overheating as that will also cause throttling and lower performance. What frame rates are you getting?
CSn Bluemin- I'm pretentious and never leave the mic.

DerKrieger105
Blue Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2