Steam Machine Specs

Announcements and news related to Crit Sandvich.

Steam Machine Specs

by Failhorse » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:43 am

GPU: NVidia Titan or GTX780 or GTX760 or GTX660
CPU: Intel i7-4770 or i5-4570, or i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

Steam will also release the Cad files of the enclosure. In case you want to make your own.

I think it's odd that it's running off of 450 watts.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Steam Machine Specs

by UncleTestes » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 am

UncleTestes
Donator

by Balubish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Actually u dont need more PSU if you only gonna run with one GPU.

I have a 650watts supply and I have never felt the fan blow on the back so.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by GoDM1N » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:46 pm

Balubish wrote:Actually u dont need more PSU if you only gonna run with one GPU.

I have a 650watts supply and I have never felt the fan blow on the back so.

You also use a 6770 which doesn't require much power. Running a GTX780 on 450 watts is forcing the PSU to run at near 100% which, means less efficiency, more heat, more noise, a shorter life span, etc.

GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Balubish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:00 pm

That's true ;) Keep in mind hes stressing both CPU i3770k OC also GTX 680 OC watercooling system and 12 fans etc and reaches maximum of 350watt. Sure with a more powerful GPU u need more PSU power. Im just saying it might work, didnt say it was optimal.

Balubish
Donator

by GoDM1N » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Balubish wrote:That's true ;) Keep in mind hes stressing both CPU i3770k OC also GTX 680 OC watercooling system and 12 fans etc and reaches maximum of 350watt. Sure with a more powerful GPU u need more PSU power. Im just saying it might work, didnt say it was optimal.

I think the reason they're going with a 450 watt has more to do with size. I'm not expecting the steam boxes from ASUS or whoever to be in a everyday PC case.
GoDM1N
Donator

by Maringue » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:44 pm

450 was the first thing I saw too. Isn't it a rule of thumb that you want your max wattage draw to be 80-90% of your power supply output?
Maringue
Blue Admin

by GoDM1N » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Maringue wrote:450 was the first thing I saw too. Isn't it a rule of thumb that you want your max wattage draw to be 80-90% of your power supply output?

50-60%
GoDM1N
Donator

by Beartato » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Doesn't make sense to run at 100% power from a long term perspective either. You should get a PSU expecting it to last through a couple builds. Having excess wattage means room to expand and rebuild.

But yeah, I'm really surprised at how powerful it is. That'll handle today's games really well. But that also means the cost might be fairly high. How will it compete with the XBone and PS4 if it's $200+ more expensive?
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by GoDM1N » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:58 am

Beartato wrote:Doesn't make sense to run at 100% power from a long term perspective either. You should get a PSU expecting it to last through a couple builds. Having excess wattage means room to expand and rebuild.

But yeah, I'm really surprised at how powerful it is. That'll handle today's games really well. But that also means the cost might be fairly high. How will it compete with the XBone and PS4 if it's $200+ more expensive?

I assume ASUS, Acer, MSI and whoever else will have a whole lineup of steamboxes anywhere from $300 to $10,000. However I think these models would be competitive even with the extra $200 price. Games are MUCH cheaper on steam. You'd make that money back in no time. I got AC3 yesterday for $12, Bio shock for $12 as well. I've already made back like $35
GoDM1N
Donator

by Balubish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:04 am

GoDM1N wrote:
Beartato wrote:Doesn't make sense to run at 100% power from a long term perspective either. You should get a PSU expecting it to last through a couple builds. Having excess wattage means room to expand and rebuild.

I assume ASUS, Acer, MSI and whoever else will have a whole lineup of steamboxes anywhere from $300 to $10,000. However I think these models would be competitive even with the extra $200 price. Games are MUCH cheaper on steam. You'd make that money back in no time. I got AC3 yesterday for $12, Bio shock for $12 as well. I've already made back like $35

Yeah some games, but I actually looked at Far Cry 3 yesterday, and I can buy a digital copy on a swedish site for half the price that Steam has, so yeah many games might be very cheap when they have them on sale. But definitly not all games. So If ppl wanna save a buck or more look around couple of places u know before u buy a game. That comes with hardware as well.

Balubish
Donator

by GoDM1N » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Balubish wrote:
GoDM1N wrote:

Yeah some games, but I actually looked at Far Cry 3 yesterday, and I can buy a digital copy on a swedish site for half the price that Steam has, so yeah many games might be very cheap when they have them on sale. But definitly not all games. So If ppl wanna save a buck or more look around couple of places u know before u buy a game. That comes with hardware as well.

You can also find deals on sites like humble bundle. They give you steam keys and you can get like 5 AAA titles for $5
GoDM1N
Donator

by Balubish » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:41 pm

This is probably the most expensive version. I really want one steam gamepad controller. Looks nice.

Balubish
Donator

Return to News