Spelunky Review

Announcements and news related to Crit Sandvich.

Spelunky Review

by VoltySquirrel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 am

Spelunky

Developer: Mossmouth
Publisher: Self-Published
Platforms: Windows & Xbox 360
Release Date: December 21, 2008 (Win) & July 4, 2012 (XBLA)
Price: 1200 MSP (XBLA)
Where to get it: http://spelunkyworld.com/

You ever find a game you just can't get out of your head? A game so infectious that not only do you always want to play it, but you even think about it outside of playing it, like at dinner or in the car? Well, that game game for me, at least for the moment, is Spelunky. There's something magical about this game that I can't describe, but I guess I can give it a shot.

So, about three and a half years ago, Derek Yu made a freeware rougelike/platformer for PC inspired by games such as La-Mulana (recently remade for PC) and Spelunker. The basic idea is that you play as an adventurer in the vein of Indiana Jones who must explore a mysterious cave whose walls kept shifting. Each time you died (which is often), you'd find yourself in a new, randomly generated world. The game is very difficult, with it not being uncommon to die in the very first stage. Reaching each new level style became an achievement itself. However, it's difficulty was fair, where the difficulty ramped up with your growing skill level. Add in a unique visual style, great music, and endless replay value, and you had a hit on your hands, which is what it became.

However, it's hard to make money off a free game, so Mossmouth (Derek Yu's development company) remade the game from the ground up for Xbox Live Arcade. And when I say from the ground up, I mean it. Every single aspect of the original has been refined to perfection, from the music to the controls to the visuals. The game abandoned the retro-inspired visuals for some of the coolest and cutest artwork ever. It's hard to look at a single enemy or character in the game without smiling. The controls have also gotten an overhaul. The original didn't control perfect, but the XBLA version does. Never again will you blame anyone other than yourself for your death. The amount of precision of the control is astounding. The music of the original has also been scraped, as every track in the XBLA release is new. This trifecta of new has made the rerelease a near perfect game.

The new doesn't stop there, however. Also new to the game is a co-op mode and a deathmatch mode. The co-op is exactly what it sounds like. Up to four player can play together and try to make it though the caves of Olmec. Sometimes, your buddies can be a great help, and sometimes they will become the bane of your existence. An appropriate comparison would be New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Anyone who has played that game co-op know that friendships will either be strengthened or destroyed playing that game. The deathmatch mode is also a blast. What initially seems like a throwaway mode quickly becomes one of the most entertaining multiplayer games you've ever played. It's very Bomberman-esque, which is nothing but a good thing.

However, not everything is great about the XBLA release. The ability to mod the game has been sadly lost, but that's to be expected. Also missing is the level editor of the original. Another glaring flaw is the lack of online support. That's right, local-only. This may be a dealbreaker, but it isn't that big of a loss. This type of game is best enjoyed on the same couch anyway. In the end, these three flaws are only moderate strikes against it.

Spelunky is a game built entirely around discovery. The sheer thrill of the game is based around discovering new little things about it. You'll never feel better upon learning how to perfectly take out a shopkeeper or when you finally kick the Jungles ass and make it to the 3rd area. However, the greatest discovery of all is the game itself, because I doubt you'll find any game quite as entertaining and unique in a good little while for such a cheap price. At the very least, try the XBLA's demo or give the freeware release a spin. I mean, it won't kill ya. Well, the game will, but whatever.
Last edited by VoltySquirrel on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
VoltySquirrel

Re: Spelunky Review

by VoltySquirrel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:01 am

I forgot to add where to get the game. Fixed that.
VoltySquirrel

by Newport » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 pm

good lord this game is nonsense.

"Ruler Zig Zag, Zig-Allah jam is fatal, Quick to stick my Wu-Tang sword right through ya navel"
"You can see the weakness of a man right through his iris, Un-loyal snakes get thrown in boilin lakes"
Newport

by VoltySquirrel » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Newport wrote:good lord this game is nonsense.

Trust me, it isn't once you start playing it for a couple hours.
VoltySquirrel

by Newport » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:06 am

haha I bought it when it came out I haven't gotten past world 3

"Ruler Zig Zag, Zig-Allah jam is fatal, Quick to stick my Wu-Tang sword right through ya navel"
"You can see the weakness of a man right through his iris, Un-loyal snakes get thrown in boilin lakes"
Newport

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:41 am

Newport wrote:haha I bought it when it came out I haven't gotten past world 3

I haven't even reached the Ice Caves yet. I have found both Meat Boy and Van Helsing, though. That was cool.
VoltySquirrel

by Newport » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Dude the Ice Caves are ridiculous, it's like Mario on ice blocks. but damn I didn't know they were characters

Newport

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Newport wrote:Dude the Ice Caves are ridiculous, it's like Mario on ice blocks. but damn I didn't know they were characters

Yeah. You can find Van Helsing by blowing up the spot under the crystal skull on a zombie level in the jungle and taking the door to the castle. Once there, head to the top left and you'll find his coffin. To get Meat Boy, you need to head to the worm stage by throwing a damsel at the little red spots around jungle levels and then jump on that same spot and wait. One you're there, you find a similar spot on the wall that, when broken, give you Meat Boy.
VoltySquirrel

by Newport » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:22 pm

What the shit lol I had no idea about those characters, I've just gotten random ones like a black pirate lady, construction worker lady and thats it i think. knowing that I want to play it now

Newport

Return to News